Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mugtang

Here’s an impeachable offense

If this is true this is the first impeachable offense that’s been disclosed. 

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/jasonleopold/trump-russia-cohen-moscow-tower-mueller-investigation

President Donald Trump directed his longtime attorney Michael Cohen to lie to Congress about negotiations to build a Trump Tower in Moscow, according to two federal law enforcement officials involved in an investigation of the matter.

That is an impeachable offense and if it’s true, Trump should be impeached and removed from office. 

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

9 minutes ago, mugtang said:

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/jasonleopold/trump-russia-cohen-moscow-tower-mueller-investigation

That is an impeachable offense and if it’s true, Trump should be impeached and removed from office. 

Since when is lying to congress a crime?

Just now, bluerules009 said:

Since when is lying to congress a crime?

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/1001

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

32 minutes ago, mugtang said:

Conspiracy to commit felony campaign finance violations isn't an impeachable offense?

Just now, jackmormon said:

Conspiracy to commit felony campaign finance violations isn't an impeachable offense?

Nobody was ever going to be impeached over campaign finance violations and if you believed they were well then you’re living in a fantasy world. 

1 hour ago, mugtang said:

Yeah I read that this evening but was reluctant to start a thread. I think this one may actually cause him some trouble. 

Thay Haif Said: Quhat Say Thay? Lat Thame Say

Just now, Old_SD_Dude said:

Yeah I read that this evening but was reluctant to start a thread. I think this one may actually cause hum some trouble. 

I think so too.  Assuming it’s true it’s similar to what happened with Nixon and Clinton. 

1 hour ago, mugtang said:

Your link must be wrong.  :hmmm:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/post-partisan/wp/2014/07/31/obama-should-fire-john-brennan/?utm_term=.3684945b3e10

In March, at the Council on Foreign Relations, CIA Director John Brennan was asked by NBC’s Andrea Mitchell whether the CIA had illegally accessed Senate Intelligence Committee staff computers “to thwart an investigation by the committee into” the agency’s past interrogation techniques. The accusation had been made earlier that day by Sen. Dianne Feinstein (D-Calif.), who said the CIA had “violated the separation-of-powers principles embodied in the United States Constitution.” Brennan answered:

As far as the allegations of, you know, CIA hacking into, you know, Senate computers, nothing could be further from the truth. I mean, we wouldn’t do that. I mean, that’s — that’s just beyond the — you know, the scope of reason in terms of what we would do. {…}

And, you know, when the facts come out on this, I think a lot of people who are claiming that there has been this tremendous sort of spying and monitoring and hacking will be proved wrong.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/2018/01/19/james-clappers-perjury-dc-made-men-dont-get-charged-lying-congress-jonathan-turley-column/1045991001/

Former National Intelligence Director James Clapper is about celebrate one of the most important anniversaries of his life. March 13th will be the fifth anniversary of his commission of open perjury before the Senate Intelligence Committee. More importantly, it also happens to be when the statute of limitationsruns out — closing any possibility of prosecution for Clapper. As the clock runs out on the Clapper prosecution, Democrats like Sen. Cory Booker (D-N.J.) have charged that Homeland Security Secretary Kirstjen Nielsen committed perjury when she insisted that she could not recall if President Donald Trump called Haiti and African countries a vulgar term. The fact is that perjury is not simply tolerated, it is rewarded, in Washington. In a city of made men and women, nothing says loyalty quite as much as lying under oath.

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2018/aug/29/gop-rep-china-hacked-hillarys-emails-and-strzok-li/

O’Connor: In sworn testimony to you Congressman, Strzok claimed that he was not aware of this. Is there any credibility to that testimony? 

Rep. Gohmert: Absolutely zero and he was lying and in essence, he said, ‘You know I remember Rucker coming over and briefing us a couple times but I don’t remember anything about it’. That was a lie. There is no way on this earth that he did not remember every detail because at that time he was doing everything he could to get Hillary Clinton elected as President and prevent a Republican from being elected. And when he got this horrendous news from his standpoint that his candidate, that his friend Hillary Clinton, had compromised the United States intelligence information, had compromised the United States Obama administration, there is no way Larry, he doesn’t remember that..there’s no way. So he was lying about that and I thought that would be the big story and the people would start digging and they would get into the details of this but what I brought up was not the affair, but the lies. He said he never lies, he always tells the truth, that opens the door …even if you were in a jury trial, we have very relaxable evidence in the hearings, but even in a jury trial when somebody says they always tell the truth, then you get to bring in every example of every time they’ve ever lied in their lives and he was rather stupid to say that, that he always tells the truth but that opened the door, but the big news was, it was the FBI, the DOJ they had proved positive that what they were saying and what they were going to say about Hillary’s server not being compromised, no information that any foreign enemy got, was a complete lie. They obstructed justice, they lied about what they knew, they lied about what the intel knew and it was a coverup to try to help Hillary get elected, that’s what the DOJ was being used for at that time. 

1 hour ago, poke em said:

The guy was convicted and sentenced for 3 years in prison because he is a liar. Are we now supposed to believe him?

There would need to be corroborating evidence.

5 minutes ago, toonkee said:

There would need to be corroborating evidence.

Knowing Trump, he probably emailed the instructions to Cohen. 

We'll see what happens. I agree this is the worst thing yet for him in terms of impeachment, but would the Senate turn? I feel like a Clinton style impeachment trial and acquittal is the last thing I want to deal with as a citizen and a human.

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

They’re saying there are emails or maybe something written that directed Cohen to lie under oath. I can’t believe anyone would be stupid enough to put something like that in writing. If he did, he should be removed from office for being so brain dead. 

But I’m skeptical. How many times have we heard Trump is done? Everyone close to Mueller has been saying to the public to be ready for an anti-climactic report coming very soon. Now, this one buzzfeed story has popped up. But if it’s true and can be proven beyond Cohen’s word (which is worth nothing), then they finally will have nailed Trump. If Rachel Maddow is pushing this as the end of Trump, it will turn out to be nothing. She has that golden touch.  😂😹🤪👍

kat.jpg

39 minutes ago, toonkee said:

Could it be obstruction as well?

Maybe.  But I don’t claim to be an expert in that.  I don’t think Clinton was brought up on obstruction for lying under oath and instructing others to lie as well. I could be wrong.