Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

halfmanhalfbronco

Has Wyoming football peaked the last 3 seasons?

The sunset years of Wyoming football. Have they peaked?  

41 members have voted

1. 1. Has Wyoming football peaked the last 3 years?

• Yes. They can't compete with CSU for recruits and only so many Boulder leftovers to go around.
    • Yes, since they can't compete with other FBS recruiting, they need Bohl to find gems, and Bohl can't coach offense. Catch 22.
    • Yes, this is not the 90's. Wyoming could compete back then because the game was different. Need a different athlete now.
    • No.

8 hours ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Part of the reason you guys are lucky to have Bohl.  He is able to find recruits that were not wanted by other schools and put out a competitive team.  Because lets be real, if they were wanted by other schools they would not be at Wyoming.

Translation- "Um, yeah, well, er, uh, that. Yeah. Okay, um, could, well, uh, maybe it, or, yeah. There."

Image result for h.l. mencken quotes

2 hours ago, Wyovanian said:

Translation- "Um, yeah, well, er, uh, that. Yeah. Okay, um, could, well, uh, maybe it, or, yeah. There."

Nope, there is no doubt that CSU has a ceiling much higher than Wyoming due to the ability beat FBS schools for recruits.

49 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Nope, there is no doubt that CSU has a ceiling much higher than Wyoming due to the ability beat FBS schools for recruits.

Thank you for your concern for Wyoming football.

Funny thing about ceilings: put ‘em high as you want, everyone still stands on the floor

3 hours ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

So, in your weird little flat world, it's the recruiting, not the actual score, that determines the winners?

3 hours ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Iirc they deliberately chose to have 70 percent as much ceiling as Wyoming

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

On 1/17/2019 at 9:11 PM, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Wyoming may not have the potential of USU, but have they peaked?  Will they ever have 3 non losing seasons in a row again?  BTW, that is a hell of a feat, pokes, considering the limitations of the program.  Proud to share a conference with you.  SEC Mountain!!

If they were big on being half man, half bronco, then yes they would have peaked. So, no, they haven’t. 

kat.jpg

1 hour ago, Pokes Forever said:

Boise is not a state.

I think they mean Boise is a state as in ‘state of mind’. That means blue field, that means pretty colored sections with fan participation, that means lots of fan support even on the road, that means people that think Boise is a state.

kat.jpg

2 hours ago, Pokez said:

It is kind of depressing that we are touting 3 years of bowl eligibility with a combined record of 22-17 as our best stretch in the 48 years that I've been breathing.

It was the golden age of Wyoming (for living fans).  I would cherish it.

15 hours ago, Pokez said:

It is kind of depressing that we are touting 3 years of bowl eligibility with a combined record of 22-17 as our best stretch in the 48 years that I've been breathing.

We aren't. Wyoming has done better.

10 hours ago, BSU fan in Columbus said:

Wyoming is 110th in recruiting BSU is 50th with more 4 star recruits and 3 stars look at reality.Wyoming fans are jealous

Jealous of on the field success, sure, everyone who isn't Fresno would be a fool not to be. Jealous of recruiting numbers? I'd happier with Bohl getting everyone he wanted at a 2.2 average star rating than I would be with Bohl having to get his 3rd or 4th choice but them all being 3 and 4 star guys. A winning coach's opinion of how people fit into a team matters more than a guy who is rating high school kids for "exposure". 

17 hours ago, Pokez said:

What is this "we"? I'm 31 and it isn't remotely the best 3 year stretch since I've been alive. In fact, looking back, it is the 4th or 5th best 3 year stretch depending on how you want to define that. Breaking it up into 3 year segments it is more or less the median. 

Don't confuse hmhb cutting his sports trolling teeth with wyoming fan opinions. 

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

On 1/19/2019 at 1:03 PM, halfmanhalfbronco said:

It is not derision.  It is trying to gain an honest understanding of Wyoming, and the limitations of their program.   They will never REALLY compete at this level again, we can all agree on that, but can they continue to remain bowl eligible? 

I don't agree with that at all.

Just how has Wyoming allegedly changed? As far as I can tell, Cowboys football is what it's always been: challenged by the minuscule population of the state it represents but a university which, until recently, had a significantly better managed athletic department than my alma mater. Meanwhile the MWC has diminished in quality. The conclusion to be drawn is that if anything, Wyoming may have a BETTER chance of being competitive at this level than it had when the MWC was at its peak in the 2005-2011 time period and just as good a chance to be competitive as it has been the last half dozen years.

As I said the other day, if you want to question the competitive chances of a MWC school, confine yourself to San Jose State and you won't go wrong.

Boom goes the dynamite.

On 1/19/2019 at 2:37 PM, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Air Force always has the lowest average recruit rating of all conference schools due to academic and physical restrictions. But go back through this decade and show me where Wyoming's class hasn't been in the bottom three. Granted, their classes are never impressive on paper and granted, they never win the conference title. However, that doesn't mean they aren't competitive.

Boom goes the dynamite.

On 1/20/2019 at 11:23 AM, halfmanhalfbronco said:

There's still a signing day on Feb. 6 so the 2019 classes haven't been finalized but right now, 247 has CSU's class with the second highest average rating in the MWC. That's the same rating CSU had in 2016 and in 2017 and 2018, CSU was #3 and CSU's head coach is tied with yours and Fresno's for the highest salary in the conference. Yet CSU hasn't won a bowl game since 2013.

Personally, I think CSU's recruiting uptick is due mainly to that shiny new toy of a stadium they managed to get built. Kids like bling so kudos for the Rams for that but not for anything else about their football team this decade.

Boom goes the dynamite.

On 1/19/2019 at 5:35 PM, halfmanhalfbronco said:

The problem with Wyoming is simple.  Nobody wants to live for 4 years in Laramie, small, cold, ugly with ugly locals.  You simple are not going to compete with the USU's and CSU's of the worlds for recruits.  So you need a coach like Bohl with an eye for recruiting players overlooked by FBS schools.  Unfortunately, Bohl is very limited in his own abilities.  Tough, teams spattered with top end talent, then mostly FCS players around them. 

I'm...I'm ugly?  Well that's a bummer.

Gannett_2.jpg.404db0bd7deb615b1ec5699694fae130.jpg