Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jackrabbit

The New Democratic Party

8 hours ago, sactowndog said:

Perhaps it starts in CA.   The Republicans are all but dead in the state.   A large enough group of them could easily start a party that isn’t the Republicans or Bay Area Democrat’s and do damm well.  

Make it so!

The World Needs More Cowboys!

Democrats could actually get some traction in congress on of the policies they supposedly espouse, but their fanatical focus on Trump has gotten in the way of them doing anything meaningful.  Even some of the new democrats in congress are seeing that.  And Dems putting so much of their resources in helping illegals, even those with criminal records while ignoring problems so many US citizens is mind boggling.  Dems could work with Trump on things like infrastructure in inner US cities, education, transportation and many other things but they are completely ignoring all those things.  And the biggest Dem supporters, even the ones on this forum are all completely fine with this.  The Dems think the only way they can win is to make Trump lose, not win themselves. 

12 hours ago, sactowndog said:

Huh.   Reagan was a big tent leader who brought in people to the Party.  Under Trump the only people he’s bringing in our democratic nativists while driving out many others.  

I am also the Party of Rhino’s.  Even worked in Congress for a Republican Congressman who was an ally of the Sierra Club.   Imagine that!   Today that wouldn’t be possible on either side.  

Never said Reagan was perfect, far from it.  

On 1/19/2019 at 8:05 AM, NVGiant said:

Catholics are by nature religious hypocrites?

Voting for an exclusively pro-choice party while being Catholic is fairly hypocritical. It also has only really happened in the last what, 4 years or so though? The tents are really shrinking (or at least adjusting uncomfortably) for both parties.

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

13 minutes ago, happycamper said:

Voting for an exclusively pro-choice party while being Catholic is fairly hypocritical. It also has only really happened in the last what, 4 years or so though? The tents are really shrinking (or at least adjusting uncomfortably) for both parties.

That is an oversimplification of the motivation of many Catholics. There are many Catholics who are both pro-life, applied to their personal life, and pro-choice politically. Anyone who has tried to get me to talk about abortion on here knows how difficult it can be for a Catholic to articulate the position. But I digress.

By this logic, you've basically branded anyone in any party who doesn't agree with 100 percent of the platform as a hypocrite. No wonder the tents are shrinking.

4 minutes ago, NVGiant said:

That is an oversimplification of the motivation of many Catholics. There are many Catholics who are both pro-life, applied to their personal life, and pro-choice politically. Anyone who has tried to get me to talk about abortion on here knows how difficult it can be for a Catholic to articulate the position. But I digress.

By this logic, you've basically branded anyone in any party who doesn't agree with 100 percent of the platform as a hypocrite. No wonder the tents are shrinking.

It's the other way around. Abortion didn't used to be so defined by parties and it has changed so quickly it's catching people off guard. 

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

Guest #1Stunner
1 minute ago, Bob said:

I call BS. you were never a Democrat. Either that or you converted to mormonism recently. You cannot be a faithful mormon and reconcile the social behaviors of the Democrats.

Bob, are you just saying this because you are a passionate, genuine Air Force Falcons fan?

Guest #1Stunner
1 minute ago, Bob said:

I guess being jack mormon and democrat computes. touche

Wrong again Bob.

Reid's typical response to how he can be a good Mormon and a Democrat is, "I am a Democrat because I am a Mormon, not in spite of it."

But in the interview Friday, he turned that around saying, "I can't understand how anyone can be a good Mormon and be a Republican."

Elder Wickman called "Brother Reid" a devoted Latter-day Saint. He said it always amused him that from time to time at stake conferences, people have asked if "that Harry Reid fellow" is really a member of the church.

"I have been pleased to respond that not only is Sen. Reid a member of the church, but he is a very, very good member of the church," he said.

Reid was the Rex E. Lee' family's home teacher when he first went to Congress. Lee was the U.S. solicitor general at the time. He was the first dean of the BYU law school and later president of the university. Reid's son Josh and Lee's son Sen. Mike Lee, R-Utah, remain best friends, the senator said.

On 1/17/2019 at 5:10 PM, soupslam1 said:

The ideologies of both parties are definitely divergent. Unfortunately it has come to both parties have drawn a line in the sand and there is no room for compromise. I wonder if our forefathers ever anticipated it would come to this. 

Some did. That's why there was briefly a stalemate over the electoral college. The federalists finally caved on that point. If I'm not mistaken, although many countries subsequently followed our Declaration of Independence, not a single one adopted the electoral college part.

A few years ago I rejected the anti- two party rhetoric hammered at me in poly sci and history classes I took as an undergraduate. I'll admit there are many reasons to think that system doesn't work very well. However, as Old_Dude said above, because the Dems and Repubs are now both so obstinate, this country truly needs a third party. Even if that third party can do nothing more than put a scare into the other two, it will force them to work together for the good of the country.

Boom goes the dynamite.

On 1/18/2019 at 11:10 PM, sactowndog said:

Perhaps it starts in CA.   The Republicans are all but dead in the state.   A large enough group of them could easily start a party that isn’t the Republicans or Bay Area Democrat’s and do damm well.  

They would first have to kick Devin Nunes' sorry ass into Arizona. None of us who are moderates with a brain would ever join a party for which he was a leader.

Boom goes the dynamite.

On 1/19/2019 at 9:17 AM, pokerider said:

Democrats could actually get some traction in congress on of the policies they supposedly espouse,. 

Name one.  

Nationalization of the medical industry?

Open borders?

90% top marginal tax rates?

“Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.”

-Richard Feynman

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators."

-P.J. O’Rourke