Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

easybronc

LA teacher strike

2 minutes ago, sebasour said:

Yeah, I'm sure illegal immigrants are the only issue here.

Definitely not the only one, but definitely a huge one. 

5 minutes ago, Joe from WY said:

Definitely not the only one, but definitely a huge one. 

Yup, the lack of and misuse of education funding is only a small part. It's the small fraction of illegals in schools that are to blame.

It's not like growing class sizes isn't an issue in school districts all across the country 

Here are the demographics for LAUSD:

Latino
74.0%*
White
9.8%
African American
8.4%
Asian
6.0%
Pacific Islander
.04%
American Indian/Alaskan Native
.02%

http://laschoolreport.com/what-does-it-mean-that-lausd-is-a-safe-zone-from-immigration-officials/

It is estimated that 10% of LA's population is illegal (who knows the actual number). I'd imagine a huge percentage of the school district is either anchor babies or illegal. 

23 minutes ago, bigd said:

Latino
74.0%*
White
9.8%
African American
8.4%
Asian
6.0%
Pacific Islander
.04%
.02%

http://laschoolreport.com/what-does-it-mean-that-lausd-is-a-safe-zone-from-immigration-officials/

It is estimated that 10% of LA's population is illegal (who knows the actual number). I'd imagine a huge percentage of the school district is either anchor babies or illegal. 

Exactly. Then couple that with the fact that theres no income taxes collected from them and they probably rent (they are here illegally after all) so they don't pay property tax (the Prop 13 Property Tax issue is another problem entirely that could probably have it's own multi-volume thread), and the kids still use the schools, adding to issues leading to overcrowding, lack of funding, etc. 

I totally agree LAUSD has a litany of other problems, including a bloated administration/bureaucracy, poor oversight of funds, etc., but issues stemming from illegal immigration are a huge source of the problems the district currently faces as well. 

4 minutes ago, soupslam1 said:

California needs to put out more education bonds, build more schools, and hire more teachers. Problem solved. 😏

Only problem is junk bonds haven't been en vogue since Michael Milken went to prison. 

3 minutes ago, soupslam1 said:

California needs to put out more education bonds, build more schools, and hire more teachers. Problem solved. What? Are you telling me the residents think taxes are too high? 

California voters regularly approve bonds for schools. I’m not sure how it works in other states, but in California at least bond revenue can only be used for capital costs. It cannot be used for operational costs so doesn’t really help with class size. Building schools aren’t the problem. Staffing them with enough teachers that are paid enough to stay in the profession is the issue. 

Thay Haif Said: Quhat Say Thay? Lat Thame Say

22 minutes ago, Joe from WY said:

Exactly. Then couple that with the fact that theres no income taxes collected from them and they probably rent (they are here illegally after all) so they don't pay property tax (the Prop 13 Property Tax issue is another problem entirely that could probably have it's own multi-volume thread), and the kids still use the schools, adding to issues leading to overcrowding, lack of funding, etc. 

I totally agree LAUSD has a litany of other problems, including a bloated administration/bureaucracy, poor oversight of funds, etc., but issues stemming from illegal immigration are a huge source of the problems the district currently faces as well. 

Joe, this is one of the dumber things you've posted. If they rent, of course they're paying property taxes.

Don't you think property taxes are factored into the local rental market?

10 minutes ago, Old_SD_Dude said:

California voters regularly approve bonds for schools. I’m not sure how it works in other states, but in California at least bond revenue can only be used for capital costs. It cannot be used for operational costs so doesn’t really help with class size. Building schools aren’t the problem. Staffing them with enough teachers that are paid enough to stay in the profession is the issue. 

And giving teachers who speak a language other than English preference.  Almost  a requirement to get a teaching job in California. 

1 minute ago, renoskier said:

Joe, this is one of the dumber things you've posted. If they rent, of course they're paying property taxes.

Don't you think property taxes are factored into the local rental market?

Yeah. I know generally renters mail their property tax payments to City Hall like property owners do. 

Actually, given that there are usually massive government subsidies involved, the California taxpayer is paying the property tax, not the illegal Slav/Mexican/whoever renting the house. 

1 hour ago, Old_SD_Dude said:

Ok, fine pay the teachers more. Why are residents whining if they aren’t willing to pay teachers more? 

14 minutes ago, soupslam1 said:

Ok, fine pay the teachers more. Why are residents whining if they aren’t willing to pay teachers more? 

You must not have read the article. The only “residents” mentioned are parents demonstrating in support of the teachers. 

Thay Haif Said: Quhat Say Thay? Lat Thame Say

This is another con pet issue - they hate teachers, and illegals, and unions, and anything that isn't outright for-profit. 

It's no surprise the mental midgets are up in arms here making inane comments.  They think they're the smart ones!

51t4uwlffaL._SL160_SS150_.jpg324804241_0b7c67b2af_m.jpg

BCS is to Football what Fox News is to Journalism

class sizes of nearly 50 kids are absolutely asinine. no one could reasonably be expected to perform their job well in those circumstances. my classes max out at 27 and even that’s pushing it. I hope these teachers don’t cave. they deserve better.

3 hours ago, bigd said:

Latino
74.0%*
White
9.8%
African American
8.4%
Asian
6.0%
Pacific Islander
.04%
.02%

84% of all students qualify for free or reduced lunch.  There must be a lot of private schools, or there has been some redistricting to get the nice areas out of LAUSD.