Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jdgaucho

Scottie Pippen: "Zion Williamson should shut it down at Duke, focus on NBA draft"

Scottie Pippen says on ESPN's The Jump that we've all seen Zion Williamson do enough for college basketball.   He thinks Williamson will be the #1 pick and therefore, should end his Duke career early.

Here's a column in the Chicago Tribune where the author agrees Pippen's comments have some merit.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/basketball/bulls/ct-spt-bulls-scottie-pippen-zion-williamson-duke-20190116-story.html

The Zion talk starts at 4:34

I've watched Zion a ton and he sorta comes off as a bit soft and his conditioning isn't elite. I don't think he's a shoe-in NBA starter by any means. I wonder if he possess that real killer instinct.

"You pukin morons are just plain too dumb."

-bluerules008 aka jibscout aka Hal "Mosquito Man" Newman

1 minute ago, battle.borne said:

Maybe he's not wrong but I've watched Zion a bit recently. He sorta comes off as a bit soft and his conditioning isn't elite. I think he'll struggle in the NBA.

He's a stud for such a young kid.  He'd be well served to spend another year under the tutelage of  coach K, but he won't.  I wouldn't either.

"Don't underestimate Joe Biden's ability to F@*k things up."

Barack Obama

He's an incredible talent without a doubt. The idea he should shut it down in season is anathema to all that I love about sports and competition. Don't leave your teammates hanging - ever.

1 minute ago, Bob said:

Jay Williams the ESPN guy said Duke would beat the Cleveland Cavs

I really don't think that would happen. Maybe if they played 10 games duke wins one. Duke got beat at home by Syracuse the other day. They are certainly not infallible.

Which is why kids should be allowed to play NBA ball out of high school if any team wants them. Most of these one and done kids wouldn’t go to college except for the 19 year old age requirement to play in the NBA. I’m surprised the rule hasn’t been challenged in court. 

It should be NBA out of high school or not eligible for 3 years after that. 

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

1 hour ago, soupslam1 said:

Which is why kids should be allowed to play NBA ball out of high school if any team wants them. Most of these one and done kids wouldn’t go to college except for the 19 year old age requirement to play in the NBA. I’m surprised the rule hasn’t been challenged in court. 

My guess is because there are more options besides college, like other professional basketball leagues?  Playing overseas worked okay for Emmanuel Mudiay.  

I agree the 1 and done is going away.  My thing is - what fallback option is available when most of these aspiring prepsters don't get drafted into the NBA or G-League?  An approach like MLB would be a good compromise.  Go pro right out of hs or, if they decide to enroll in college, two years.

1 hour ago, SJSUMFA2013 said:

No one who has even an outside shot at nba stardom should ever play college basketball. What a scam.

James Harden, Kawhi Leonard and Russell Westbrook say hi.  That trio only has a couple league MVPs and one Finals MVP combined.  I think they all played two years of college ball.

3 hours ago, battle.borne said:

I really don't think that would happen. Maybe if they played 10 games duke wins one. Duke got beat at home by Syracuse the other day. They are certainly not infallible.

At home.

Granted, Reddish and Jones didn't play, but still

The World Needs More Cowboys!

4 hours ago, battle.borne said:

He's an incredible talent without a doubt. The idea he should shut it down in season is anathema to all that I love about sports and competition. Don't leave your teammates hanging - ever.

I agree with you. And I'm pretty sure Zion will complete the season with Duke. 

1 hour ago, jdgaucho said:

My guess is because there are more options besides college, like other professional basketball leagues?  Playing overseas worked okay for Emmanuel Mudiay.  

I agree the 1 and done is going away.  My thing is - what fallback option is available when most of these aspiring prepsters don't get drafted into the NBA or G-League?  An approach like MLB would be a good compromise.  Go pro right out of hs or, if they decide to enroll in college, two years.

The thing is, their fallback isn’t your concern. It certainly isn’t a concern of a coach who yanks a ‘ship because a kid doesn’t meet his expectations. It’s certainly not when a coach leaves a program for more money and then cleans house. 

4 hours ago, battle.borne said:

No way; not even against the Cavs bench.

2 hours ago, soupslam1 said:

Honestly they should just follow the MLB model now that have the G and D leagues. If a kids drafted out of high school he can either sign or go to college if chooses the later he will be at that school for three years. Unless he goes JC. 

I think it's a win win for colleges that don't have to worry about one and done and kids see where they stand.