Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

retrofade

The Best Men Can Be

9 minutes ago, Jackrabbit said:

Unfortunately, the elitist  people who developed this ad....honestly believe this is the way America thinks. This only shows how out of touch they are.

There are probably a lot more Americans who think similarly to that commercial than you might think. 

I see an ad with a good message about treating women with respect and stop bullying. Nothing really mind blowing, but a good overall message.

The people that are getting offended by this though... Is your masculinity really that fragile?

53 minutes ago, Stealthlobo said:

I see an ad with a good message about treating women with respect and stop bullying. Nothing really mind blowing, but a good overall message.

The people that are getting offended by this though... Is your masculinity really that fragile?

Do you really think men that mistreat and bully women really give a shit about this commercial and will change their behavior? 

Im offended by some dumb ass portraying a message that most men are all still Neanderthals and treat women badly. 

7 minutes ago, soupslam1 said:

Do you really think men that mistreat and bully women really give a shit about this commercial and will change their behavior? 

I do not.

I think that's why the main story isn't the ad itself, which is not bad but nothing special, but the amount of people that are offended by it.

3 minutes ago, Stealthlobo said:

I do not.

I think that's why the main story isn't the ad itself, which is not bad but nothing special, but the amount of people that are offended by it.

What do you think the purpose of the commercial is other than some dumb ass  trying to be cutesy and sell razors? 

4 minutes ago, soupslam1 said:

What do you think the purpose of the commercial is other than some dumb ass  trying to be cutesy and sell razors? 

Eh, I though they were trying to jump on the changing times with sexual harassment and bullying issues surfacing in news lately and MAYBE shine the light on a group of people who aren't adapting with the way things are changing.

1 minute ago, Stealthlobo said:

Eh, I though they were trying to jump on the changing times with sexual harassment and bullying issues surfacing in news lately and MAYBE shine the light on a group of people who aren't adapting with the way things are changing.

And that commercial is going to change them? Dumb shits are always going to be dumb shits and even be dumber shits when you put the spot light on them. 

7 minutes ago, soupslam1 said:

And that commercial is going to change them? Dumb shits are always going to be dumb shits and even be dumber shits when you put the spot light on them. 

I agree, my original post wasnt saying they will change. Just it's an ad with a good overall message and that the "dumb shits", as you put it, getting offended are insecure about their masculinity.

11 minutes ago, Stealthlobo said:

I agree, my original post wasnt saying they will change. Just it's an ad with a good overall message and that the "dumb shits", as you put it, getting offended are insecure about their masculinity.

See my message above about being offended. Sometimes I just get tired about people being self righteous and telling the rest of us how we need to live our lives. The message doesn’t reach the dumb shits in life. 

haven't bought a Gillette product in years.  Ads like this though certainly don't inspire me to go buy their products.  This ad goes way overboard imo.  

I don't want companies that I buy products from telling me how to behave.  There are some exceptions such as beer ads that say drink responsibly.   
But I think most people can't stand being preached about politics or political correctness in their sports or products they buy.  

37 minutes ago, renoskier said:

As an excuse for stupid behavior?

Doesn't say much for boys now, does it?

Not at all.  Boys being boys is an entire sheet of paper.  The bad behavior represents a period, or maybe two, on that sheet of paper.  This ad is being critical of boys being boys and not just a few instances of bad behavior.

No one is defending bad behavior, like you are trying to suggest with your response.

The World Needs More Cowboys!

46 minutes ago, Stealthlobo said:

I do not.

You seem to be offended by this thread as much as anyone else.  All I really see here are folks discussing the ad, without offense.  I guess I don't see your point?

3 minutes ago, pokebball said:

You seem to be offended by this thread as much as anyone else.  All I really see here are folks discussing the ad, without offense.  I guess I don't see your point?

If you say so. I was just adding my $0.02. Sorry I didn't explain my point well enough earlier:

1. Ad has good overall message

2. Ad is nothing special

3. Men offended by message have fragile masculinity.

Hopefully that helps! :)

3 hours ago, trl87 said:

Why does there have to be this ideologically driven activism in an ad for a consumer product? One that caters ALMOST ENTIRELY to men. Many men feel that this commercial is redefining many masculine things, even good masculine things, as toxic. "Yes, men, be the best you can be, but only what we determine to be the best."

Frankly, people should shrug their shoulders at this ad. It's a +++++ing dumb ad. Just sell me a product to shave my dumb face.

It is indeed dumb. Probably the biggest dumb is the scene in which one guy stops his buddy from walking after the cute young woman in the white shorts. As if just trying to speak to an attractive female is somehow improper?

Oops, OH. MY. GOD. Please excuse me for saying the young woman is cute! How incredibly sexist of me! I'm better than that, I just know I am!

Boom goes the dynamite.

28 minutes ago, Stealthlobo said:

If you say so. I was just adding my $0.02. Sorry I didn't explain my point well enough earlier:

1. Ad has good overall message

2. Ad is nothing special

3. Men offended by message have fragile masculinity.

Hopefully that helps! :)

You need to grow a pair :) 

2 hours ago, soupslam1 said:

Im offended by some dumb ass portraying a message that most men are all still Neanderthals and treat women badly. 

Well, yeah. Mistreating and bullying women has been more or less socially acceptable for the last forever, trending more towards the "less" socially acceptable lately. Seeing mainstream images just talking about it frankly as something bad is pretty new. 

1 hour ago, pokerider said:

haven't bought a Gillette product in years.  Ads like this though certainly don't inspire me to go buy their products.  This ad goes way overboard imo.  

I don't want companies that I buy products from telling me how to behave.  There are some exceptions such as beer ads that say drink responsibly.   
But I think most people can't stand being preached about politics or political correctness in their sports or products they buy.  

Literally every single advertisement in existence is telling you how to behave

39 minutes ago, pokebball said:

You need to grow a pair :) 

Yeah! What a little not offended snowflake! Back in my day men got OFFENDED over things that said maybe ILLEGAL THINGS ARE WRONG and that's how you knew they were MEN!

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard.