Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

pokebball

Two MWC cities make the list

21 hours ago, TheSanDiegan said:

If you're suggesting the sprawling trailerpark that is Laramie is an act of God, I would counter by suggesting it is proof there is no God.

Also the entire of state of Wyoming. Don’t forget the required old tires on all of the roofs!

22 minutes ago, Whatleyposse said:

Laramie isn’t that great. If you are willing to drive for a while the snowy mountains aren’t to bad.  Vedauwoo is pretty cool but a long ride from town. The Laramie river is pretty much an irrigation canal. 

Long ride?  It is shorter than my shortest commute when I was living in the Denver area (from west Centennial to east-central Centennial).  

1 hour ago, Whatleyposse said:

Laramie isn’t that great. If you are willing to drive for a while the snowy mountains aren’t to bad.  Vedauwoo is pretty cool but a long ride from town. The Laramie river is pretty much an irrigation canal. 

Have people from Boise ever been to anywhere other than Boise?

"Wahhh 10 minutes is too far to drive to outdoor rock climbing! In Boise it takes an hour! Wahh it takes 45 minutes to get to a 12,000 ft tall peak, in Idaho we have to, uhh... drive to Wyoming to do that! Wahh the Laramie river is an irrigation canal, I have never seen an irrigation canal before!"

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

45 minutes ago, Jimbo_Poke said:

Long ride?  It is shorter than my shortest commute when I was living in the Denver area (from west Centennial to east-central Centennial).  

I personally think commutes are an overblown metric, unless you're well outside the middle of the bell curve (link), though according to GeoStats, Laramie has a ridiculously short commute time of something like, WAIT! I'm already there... 

And on the flip side, metrics aside, LA traffic on the best of days is about as f*cked up as Mumbai during the monsoon. At least it feels that way each time I'm on the 405. Which is why I avoid LA like, well, Mumbai.

I also think the quality of the drive is more important than the gross time spent on the road. Give me a forty minute commute carving up canyon bi-ways over twenty minutes of bumper-to-bumper traffic on six lanes of freeway.

St-Javelin-Sm.jpgChase.jpg 

11 hours ago, TheSanDiegan said:

Says the pretend colonel.

It's not my fault you don't have a clue as to the avatar's origin. And yes, I miss a 'simpler' time when we still held some resemblance of a moral high ground and your posts didn't suck so f*cking bad.

Your "moral high ground" probably has the consistency and odor of spoiled milk...

Image result for h.l. mencken quotes

1 hour ago, Whatleyposse said:

A long ride? What, do you keep a piss bottle next to you on the couch or do you go all out and use a catheter?

Image result for h.l. mencken quotes

11 hours ago, TheSanDiegan said:

Says the pretend colonel.

It's not my fault you don't have a clue as to the avatar's origin. And yes, I miss a 'simpler' time when we still held some resemblance of a moral high ground and your posts didn't suck so f*cking bad.

I don't know what your avatar's origin is.  I like it, though

How many people on this board have been to Coloma? The answer you seek is there.

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

1 minute ago, renoskier said:

How's the skiing there?

Is this some sort of drug reference?

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

4 minutes ago, smltwnrckr said:

How many people on this board have been to Coloma? The answer you seek is there.

I've been reasonably close, as I've provided training to LE in Placerville. The area definitely has a rustic charm.

Just now, TheSanDiegan said:

rustic charm

Everyone knows that's a euphemism. 

2 minutes ago, smltwnrckr said:

Everyone knows that's a euphemism. 

I don't mean it as such. It's a nice (albeit boring) drive from SMF, and as you make your way north to Placerville you get the distinct impression it only gets better.

1 minute ago, TheSanDiegan said:

I don't mean it as such. It's a nice drive north from SMF, and as you make your way north to Placerville you get the distinct impression it only gets better.

It doesn't. Coloma sucks. Placerville sucks only a little less. 

The only thing that would have made that list less legitimate is if it had Fresno on it. 

I was so excited to go to Santa Barbara this past summer.   Then I got there and  I was pretty surprised.  State Street had crazy vacancy because the businesses no longer want to be there due to large and growing homeless population.   Beautiful place, but I won’t go back.  

59 minutes ago, smltwnrckr said:

It doesn't. Coloma sucks. Placerville sucks only a little less. 

The only thing that would have made that list less legitimate is if it had Fresno on it. 

Compared to heading south to Stockton, it's Paradise AFAIAC.

27 minutes ago, AztecMD said:

I was so excited to go to Santa Barbara this past summer.   Then I got there and  I was pretty surprised.  State Street had crazy vacancy because the businesses no longer want to be there due to large and growing homeless population.   Beautiful place, but I won’t go back.  

I went up there last spring for alumni weekend and was disappointed to see several of the bars I would frequent, no longer around.  Several smaller spots have popped up elsewhere, though.

One drawback is that Santa Barbara is prone to fires.  It's been ravaged by those in recent years.