retrofade

The Vice Thread --- Whisk(e)y, other spirits, beer, wine, and cigars

14 minutes ago, rudolro said:

I have Makers, Nob Hill, and a 18 year old single malt scotch I got from Costco (Kirkland brand) for $50. That bottle is almost gone people seem to like it IDK. Thank you for the suggestions

That's the scotch I was talking about... it's amazing stuff. They must have upped the price though, I remember it closer to $40. 

1 minute ago, retrofade said:

That's the scotch I was talking about... it's amazing stuff. They must have upped the price though, I remember it closer to $40. 

The price increase may because it's California. IDK

It does have a good flavor I just hate the burn.

12 minutes ago, rudolro said:

I have a bunch of freeloading friends lol.   We people over a couple of times a month to BBQ and watch football. But that's coming to end pretty soon as the season wraps up. Obviously ending with a Superbowl party. 

I don't mind serving good spirts. Even if it costs a few dollars more.

Me either, and I often like to drink whiskey and coke but I would never use Woodford Reserve for that purpose. I would cringe if my guest put anything more than an ice cube or two into a glass of high end liquor.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, renoskier said:

Me either, and I often like to drink whiskey and coke but I would never use Woodford Reserve for that purpose. I would cringe if my guest put anything more than an ice cube or two into a glass of high end liquor.

I definitely agree there. My suggestions were for if they're consumed neat, with a drop or two of water, or an ice cube. For mixing, some Jim Beam or Johnnie Walker Red does the trick. 

41 minutes ago, retrofade said:

I need to check that out. Do you need to be a member to purchase etoh?

I used to always get lagavulin 16 at Costco for around $50, now the liquor store right by me sells it for $130 and I can't find it for under $90. Don't want to spend that much.

11 minutes ago, Stealthlobo said:

I used to always get lagavulin 16 at Costco for around $50, now the liquor store right by me sells it for $130 and I can't find it for under $90. Don't want to spend that much.

It depends on your state... some states make it illegal to require a membership to purchase alcohol. According to a list I found online, these are the only states where you can do that. 

• Arizona
  • California
  • Connecticut
  • Delaware
  • Hawaii
  • Indiana
  • Massachusetts
  • Michigan
  • Minnesota
  • New York
  • Texas
  • Vermont

Whenever I go back to visit my family, I make sure to stop off at Costco to pick up two bottles of Lagavulin 16 for the same price it costs me to buy one out here. 

• Like 1

On 1/16/2019 at 10:00 AM, Stealthlobo said:

Here's the bottle

IMG_20190117_182834786.jpg

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, rudolro said:

Here's the bottle

IMG_20190117_182834786.jpg

That's the one that I remember... and also the one that I'm going to try and get my dad to bring at least one bottle out to me this summer when they come to visit.

On 1/16/2019 at 9:15 AM, rudolro said:

I have a bunch of freeloading friends lol.   We people over a couple of times a month to BBQ and watch football. But that's coming to end pretty soon as the season wraps up. Obviously ending with a Superbowl party. 

I don't mind serving good spirts. Even if it costs a few dollars more.

You're a good host.

However... don't do a disservice to a good whisky by trying to be a good host. It would be a shame to waste good scotch on someone who doesn't appreciate it. I suggest keeping two grades on hand - the "well" grade you put out on the counter for anyone for any purpose - a true free-for-all. But keep a bottle or two of "call" grade out of reach that you can offer up to special guests or to someone who will appreciate it.

Here's the whisky that gets put out or will be made available for anyone when we have guests. Knock yourself out - mx it with whatthefvckever you please.

Well-Level.jpg

And here's the Private Reserve...

Call-Level.jpg

If I have a good friend over, or if you're a guest in my house and I find out you like your scotch (and don't drink it any way other than neat, on the rocks, or with a couple drops of water), then based on your preferences I will likely pull one of these from my Sin Cabinet and pour you a dram.

• Like 4

St-Javelin-Sm.jpgChase.jpg 

On 1/16/2019 at 9:16 AM, retrofade said:

I've walked by it on several occasions after reading less-than-stellar reviews online (e.g., Whisky Exchange). I'll have to pick up a bottle the next time the opportunity arrives.

However, I can attest to the Kirkland 27yr 2-scotch Highland/Lowland blend, which I happen to be drinking as I type this. When I first bought it (<$60), I thought it was somewhat insipid, and passed on the chance to buy more. Since then, I've warmed up to it, and asI get down to the last couple drams have put it aside for me and me alone.

4 hours ago, TheSanDiegan said:

Saw this in Costco a couple days ago. Can't find many reviews online. Anybody have any experience with it?

Glen-Cadam21.jpg

There are some reviews on Reddit that I found, and it appears to be a good, bordering on great dram according to the ones I read.

4 hours ago, retrofade said:

There are some reviews on Reddit that I found, and it appears to be a good, bordering on great dram according to the ones I read.

That's what I get for relying on WE, which had only four reviews. I should have followed up when I got home, because when I googled it after I read your post, I seem to have found All the Reviews.

I'm so damn tempted. I almost pulled the trigger on the Balvenie 21 Portwood at least a dozen times, but this is priced $60 cheaper.

On 1/18/2019 at 1:30 AM, TheSanDiegan said:

You're a good host.

However... don't do a disservice to a good whisky by trying to be a good host. It would be a shame to waste good scotch on someone who doesn't appreciate it. I suggest keeping two grades on hand - the "well" grade you put out on the counter for anyone for any purpose - a true free-for-all. But keep a bottle or two of "call" grade out of reach that you can offer up to special guests or to someone who will appreciate it.

Here's the whisky that gets put out or will be made available for anyone when we have guests. Knock yourself out - mx it with whatthefvckever you please.

Well-Level.jpg

Call-Level.jpg

If I have a good friend over, or if you're a guest in my house and I find out you like your scotch (and don't drink it any way other than neat, on the rocks, or with a couple drops of water), then based on your preferences I will likely pull one of these from my Sin Cabinet and pour you a dram.

I like the Private Reserve collection you have there. Do you like the Glenfiddich 18? I personally find the 15 to be a higher quality dram, even though I wish it were higher proof because I think that would really bring out the flavor profile better. That Balvenie Caribbean Cask I think is actually even superior to the Glenfiddich 21 Gran Reserva.

45 minutes ago, retrofade said:

I like the Private Reserve collection you have there. Do you like the Glenfiddich 18? I personally find the 15 to be a higher quality dram, even though I wish it were higher proof because I think that would really bring out the flavor profile better. That Balvenie Caribbean Cask I think is actually even superior to the Glenfiddich 21 Gran Reserva.

True confession: I bought bottles of the 18 when it came up on a $60 sale at Albertsons just because of the value. It was only afterward I bothered to spend enough time with it to determine whether I liked it or not. I guess you could say I bought the deal, not the whisky. Similarly, my exposure to the 15 is much like it was to the 18 prior to my purchase - an occasional pour that I am sure to have enjoyed but nothing imprinted with me deeply enough to recall now. 

That being said, I like it. There's really nothing altogether distinctive about it - at least on my nascent palette - but IMO it represents the quintessential expression of what a Speyside should be. But for complexity in a Speyside, outside of cask strength offerings I would choose the Aberlour 16 over the GF18, which sells at a similar price point IIRC.

Maybe the best barometer would be this: Costco has had it in stock for $70-something for a while now, and I have walked by it every time. However, if I didn't have a full bottle still in reserve, I would have bought one by now and been happy with my purchase.

On 1/17/2019 at 11:30 PM, TheSanDiegan said:

You're a good host.

Well-Level.jpg

Call-Level.jpg

Your guests must not be Islay guys!

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

55 minutes ago, happycamper said:

Thats what happens when you’re milquetoasts from Cali. Seems only mountain men can handle a dram that puts hair on the chest. 

Actually, I think that mostly hidden bottle at the back right in the Private Reserve is Lagavulin 16...unopened, of course. 

1 hour ago, happycamper said:

I keep two bottles of Lagavulin 16 on hand... there's one is tucked away between the Balvenie and Aberlour on the right. :)

With Islays, my palette always gets stuck somewhere between 'campfire log' and 'iodine' and can't seem to progress to the point where I can appreciate the nuances like I can with Speysides. I'm totally down with any suggestions tho...