retrofade

The Vice Thread --- Whisk(e)y, other spirits, beer, wine, and cigars

On 8/20/2022 at 11:32 AM, TheSanDiegan said:

If that's the case, as I tend to use QPR as my guiding metric, I will never own a four-figure bottle of scotch regardless of how much discretionary income I have, for the same reason I will never spend $40K on a APRO.

However, just as I have had to chance to hold a friend's APROs in the hand so as to arrive at said opinion, I too would love to try a friend's four-figure scotch sometime... now I just have to find the sucker rich enough to talk into it.  There is a precedent since just within the month I talked a friend into spending $1,100 on Japanese whisky at Vons:whistle:

Well we only live once, so might as well enjoy, right?

The night after I broke up with a girl about 10 years ago, a buddy of mine took me out for some heavy drinking. I ended up buying him, me, and two random chicks at the bar a round of Louis XIII (and yes, we pounded them in shots :facepalm:). Unfortunately I was so drunk, I have no idea if it tasted good lol.

• Sad 1

On 8/20/2022 at 12:47 PM, Stealthlobo said:

Well we only live once, so might as well enjoy, right?

The night after I broke up with a girl about 10 years ago, a buddy of mine took me out for some heavy drinking. I ended up buying him, me, and two random chicks at the bar a round of Louis XIII (and yes, we pounded them in shots :facepalm:). Unfortunately I was so drunk, I have no idea if it tasted good lol.

I agree, but there's a remarkable difference between enjoying something for what it intrinsically has to offer and deriving enjoyment from some relativistic sense of one-upmanship for the purpose of bragging rights.

And yes, too much alcohol usually leads to bad decisions involving more alcohol. A close friend bought me a bottle of Blood Oath for my 50th birthday. I got to have exactly one glass at my birthday party because that mother*cker was so drunk he ended up drinking the whole damn bottle while I was busy being a host and shit save the one glass I was poured. 

St-Javelin-Sm.jpgChase.jpg 

On 8/20/2022 at 12:44 PM, Stealthlobo said:

What about port wine? now that is something I don't think I will every enjoy...

There are so many good ports out there with legs and a finish that go for days. And a well-made chocolate port is decadent.

This is what's been sitting in the fridge for the last couple months. A few pours every now and then as a digestif. 

IMG-2829.jpg

On 8/20/2022 at 12:44 PM, Stealthlobo said:

That's actually really good to know. There definitely is a time and place for any wine and it's about finding the best region for every varietal. Is there a certain region in Germany to look for? I didn't even know reisling and dry could be used on the same sentence, but that would definitely be the direction I would choose.

What about port wine? now that is something I don't think I will every enjoy...

I’m partial to Mosel Valley Riesling, so I’ll point you in that direction, but I’ve had nice bottles from all the regions I mentioned in my previous post. German Riesling classification is complex, and I won’t pretend expertise off the top of my head. Here’s a link specific to Mosel Rieslings that is very informative. You’ll laugh at the multiple layers the author employs to drill down on exactly the bottle you might want to look for.

I wouldn’t get too bogged down by minutia. You haven’t developed your Riesling palate to this point. Just go with an idea of the vintage(s) you’d like to sample, the style you’d like to try, and the price you’ll feel comfortable paying (Rieslings can be ridiculously expensive). Think about buying a bottle in the $20-$25 neighborhood and maybe a less expensive QbA expression for comparison. You’ll understand more as you read the link. I suspect you’ll be more interested in a drier style, so pay close attention in the link to the details that will help you figure that out. Bone dry might be more to bite off than you expect, so something with just a little sweetness is probably a better place to start.

If you can find a local shop with solid expertise that carries a nice selection, try that before a big chain like Total Wine (nice selection at Total in Reno, but I expect you’d have to get a little lucky to find somebody with a deep knowledge of the varietal at a place like this). I’ll be interested to know if whatever you purchase changes your opinion on Rieslings.

• Like 1

On 8/20/2022 at 5:01 PM, Posturedoc said:

I’m partial to Mosel Valley Riesling, so I’ll point you in that direction, but I’ve had nice bottles from all the regions I mentioned in my previous post. German Riesling classification is complex, and I won’t pretend expertise off the top of my head. Here’s a link specific to Mosel Rieslings that is very informative. You’ll laugh at the multiple layers the author employs to drill down on exactly the bottle you might want to look for.

I wouldn’t get too bogged down by minutia. You haven’t developed your Riesling palate to this point. Just go with an idea of the vintage(s) you’d like to sample, the style you’d like to try, and the price you’ll feel comfortable paying (Rieslings can be ridiculously expensive). Think about buying a bottle in the $20-$25 neighborhood and maybe a less expensive QbA expression for comparison. You’ll understand more as you read the link. I suspect you’ll be more interested in a drier style, so pay close attention in the link to the details that will help you figure that out. Bone dry might be more to bite off than you expect, so something with just a little sweetness is probably a better place to start.

If you can find a local shop with solid expertise that carries a nice selection, try that before a big chain like Total Wine (nice selection at Total in Reno, but I expect you’d have to get a little lucky to find somebody with a deep knowledge of the varietal at a place like this). I’ll be interested to know if whatever you purchase changes your opinion on Rieslings.

We'll be in Germany for a couple weeks in November, and we have friends who live in Munich, friebug, and Hamburg. So maybe see what they recommend and explore different wines out there. I did read to look for the words "Qualitätswein" and "Trocken" when looking for a drier option. I'll read your link tomorrow when I have down time at work as well.

But ya, when you have the wrong wine from the wrong region it can definitely turn you off to a specific grape. After college, I'd always thought Sauvignon Blanc as just 'meh', gravitating more towards Chardonnay for my white choice. That was until we visited New Zealand and got to explore Marlborough for a few days. Now it's my go to white (still enjoy a Napa or south Africa chard though now and then).

• Cheers 1

On 8/20/2022 at 4:39 PM, TheSanDiegan said:

There are so many good ports out there with legs and a finish that go for days. And a well-made chocolate port is decadent.

This is what's been sitting in the fridge for the last couple months. A few pours every now and then as a digestif. 

IMG-2829.jpg

I don't know man, I think that will just be type I will never enjoy. I've tried some "amazing" ones at wine pairing dinners and can't finish a glass. Just not my cup of tea.

On 8/20/2022 at 6:39 PM, Stealthlobo said:

We'll be in Germany for a couple weeks in November, and we have friends who live in Munich, friebug, and Hamburg. So maybe see what they recommend and explore different wines out there. I did read to look for the words "Qualitätswein" and "Trocken" when looking for a drier option. I'll read your link tomorrow when I have down time at work as well.

But ya, when you have the wrong wine from the wrong region it can definitely turn you off to a specific grape. After college, I'd always thought Sauvignon Blanc as just 'meh', gravitating more towards Chardonnay for my white choice. That was until we visited New Zealand and got to explore Marlborough for a few days. Now it's my go to white (still enjoy a Napa or south Africa chard though now and then).

That’s exciting. I’m afraid I haven’t been to Germany (or Austria, Vienna, specifically, where I spent a bit more than 6 months for a semester and summer session abroad) way back in 1986. The Wife! and I will get there soon. Freiburg is adjacent to the Alsace, so I’d expect Rieslings from that region to be readily available. German wines of many varietals are under appreciated in the US, IMO. Hope you’re able to expand your palate. 

I failed to address a comment you made re port a couple posts up. I like it. I’m no expert, and haven’t had many from the Porto region, mostly buying from various wineries in California when we take a tasting vacation. I hope to have a bit better appreciation for the Portuguese product in about three weeks after we end our cruise from England along the coast of France and Spain, ending in Portugal (stop at Porto for a day, where we’ll hit the port houses) and then Lisbon, where we’ll spend a couple of extra days before returning home. Should be a fantastic trip.

On 8/21/2022 at 9:27 AM, Posturedoc said:

That’s exciting. I’m afraid I haven’t been to Germany (or Austria, Vienna, specifically, where I spent a bit more than 6 months for a semester and summer session abroad) way back in 1986. The Wife! and I will get there soon. Freiburg is adjacent to the Alsace, so I’d expect Rieslings from that region to be readily available. German wines of many varietals are under appreciated in the US, IMO. Hope you’re able to expand your palate. 

I failed to address a comment you made re port a couple posts up. I like it. I’m no expert, and haven’t had many from the Porto region, mostly buying from various wineries in California when we take a tasting vacation. I hope to have a bit better appreciation for the Portuguese product in about three weeks after we end our cruise from England along the coast of France and Spain, ending in Portugal (stop at Porto for a day, where we’ll hit the port houses) and then Lisbon, where we’ll spend a couple of extra days before returning home. Should be a fantastic trip.

That sounds amazing! We're doing northern Spain for 2 weeks, Barcelona --> San Sebastian --> Madrid with some Rioja spread in there (getting me some tempranillo!) on the same trip to Germany (also bookending the trip with Ireland and Austria for a total of 6 weeks). We want to do southern Spain and Portugal next big trip to that area. I'm sure ur trip there is going to be amazing! I've only heard the best things about Lisbon and Porto.

• Cheers 1

On 8/21/2022 at 4:56 PM, ridgeview2 said:

Is VAT 69 any good? Whenever I watch Band of Brothers and I see Captain Nixon with the bottle in his hand I really want to try it. Lol

blend_vat1.jpg.0dc805358a827964fcfb831592eaa484.jpg

It's a non-age statement blended whisky, i.e., a poorer man's Johnny Walker Red.

GI's drank, ate, and smoked a lot of shit I wouldn't touch with a 10' poll in any situation short of being deployed in a war zone and having no options.

If you're looking to dip your feet into the Scotch pool, blended whiskies are are great place to start, but consider Johnny Walker Black label or Chivas 12. And if you're seriously looking to consider developing a taste for scotch, start by mixing it with soda, then progress to water, then serve on rocks, then neat. 

• Cheers 1

I may have had a bottle or two from Stein some years past (label looks familiar, although I’d be very surprised if I consumed that vintage and/or expression). The Julian Haart is not familiar to me. I look forward to reading about your experiences with them. 

• Like 1

On 8/23/2022 at 6:46 PM, Posturedoc said:

I may have had a bottle or two from Stein some years past (label looks familiar, although I’d be very surprised if I consumed that vintage and/or expression). The Julian Haart is not familiar to me. I look forward to reading about your experiences with them. 

She said the stein was a bit fruiter from the real mosel valley, the Julian haart comes from another area which produces a more dry wine. We were originally going to compare the 1000 and the stein. The jj got amazing reviews though so added that on as a bonus.

• Like 1

On 8/23/2022 at 6:46 PM, Posturedoc said:

Drank the 1000 tonight. Very good. The aroma is spot on and paired well with a lobster pasta. It's exciting to discover a new regional variatal after previously dismissing it. Thanks again for the recommendation :)

• Cheers 1

On 8/23/2022 at 8:09 PM, Stealthlobo said:

Drank the 1000 tonight. Very good. The aroma is spot on and paired well with a lobster pasta. It's exciting to discover a new regional variatal after previously dismissing it. Thanks again for the recommendation :)

This warms my boozy heart. 

• Cheers 1

From this last weekend - cigar & whisky night at a friend's house. The cigar is a Romeo y Julieta no. 3 (a Cubano) brought back by a friend from a recent trip, paired with Grangestone's 12YO expression. Solid whisky, great cigar, and a phenomenal paring.

IMG-3816.jpg

IMG-3818.jpg

• Like 1

This thread deserves a bump ;)

Best part of moving into a new house is the housewarming gifts.

Our realtor got me this and I have to say it's absolutely delicious for a novice drinker like me. Technically not a bourbon, since it was aged in used barrels from what I understand. 

20221007_194910.jpg.7724699867b9600313ceb4e42fdc4ea8.jpg

And a neighbor dropped this off. @Stealthlobo pretty good budget Riesling if you're looking to explore on the cheap!

20221007_195217.jpg.7c527322ba114117662cc2d236e1722a.jpg

• Like 1