Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

4UNLV

Ok which MLB team is coming to Vegas?

3 hours ago, #1Stunner said:

Problem with Tampa is how would they realign the divisions?  Moving Tampa to Las Vegas creates big problems with the eastern division.

Easiest answer is two expansion teams for Vegas and Portland and Montreal gets the Rays (wish it was the Marlins as a Marlins fan, but they're anchored now)

3 hours ago, mundyc3 said:

Angels might be the team. They declined the option on their lease and they've said publicly that they want a new stadium whether is it in SoCal or elsewhere. 

I heard the Angels mentioned, but again, this rumor is unsubstantiated..I was hoping someone would have more info.

3 hours ago, toonkee said:

We'll take the Angels and Clippers, please. 

Las Vegas "Angels".  That would be awesome if they kept the name.

Sin City Angels would just be so...perfect. :P

Please Vegas take the Reds. They have been here as a professional team since 1868. And haven't had a new idea for at least 95 years. Ever since I moved to Cincinnati/Northern Kentucky from San Diego (over 35 years ago) I have attended 4 of their games. That was 5 games to many.

Last year the per game attendance of the local minor league soccer team was 26,000 per game and the attendance of the Reds about 12,000 per game. This year we are getting a MLS team and so the Reds will be embarrassed even more. I would trade the Reds for any NHL team straight up and do so any day.

4 hours ago, 1066 said:

Please Vegas take the Reds. They have been here as a professional team since 1868. And haven't had a new idea for at least 95 years. Ever since I moved to Cincinnati/Northern Kentucky from San Diego (over 35 years ago) I have attended 4 of their games. That was 5 games to many.

Last year the per game attendance of the local minor league soccer team was 26,000 per game and the attendance of the Reds about 12,000 per game. This year we are getting a MLS team and so the Reds will be embarrassed even more. I would trade the Reds for any NHL team straight up and do so any day.

You know the MLS team you are getting and the minor league soccer team are the same club, right?

20 hours ago, Joe from WY said:

If that thing ever gets built it's going to be boss as +++++. 

That said, I'm all for redeveloping the Coliseum as well. I just hope they finally get something done. 

Agree on the first part. As to the second, the Coliseum is a terrible location for a stadium. I must admit I haven't attended a game there in years but at least in driving past it, I continue to see a dearth of pubs, restaurants and the like which are part of a contemporary game experience. I suppose such businesses might follow the building of a new ballpark as was the case with AT&T Park but if I was going to build an upscale restaurant, that seedy neighborhood wouldn't exactly be my first choice of locations.

Boom goes the dynamite.

13 hours ago, SalinasSpartan said:

You know the MLS team you are getting and the minor league soccer team are the same club, right?

They are the same club but with a very different roster. Already they have signed players from the English Premier league, the Spanish league and other MLS teams.

Maybe a LV and a Mexican team be added?  Several baseball team along the US/Mex border: Tijuana Toros, Mexicali Aguilas (eagles) & Monterrey Sultanes (sultans). After futbol, beisbol is the most popular deporte in Mexico.

20 minutes ago, RampageSam said:

Maybe a LV and a Mexican team be added?  Several baseball team along the US/Mex border: Tijuana Toros, Mexicali Aguilas (eagles) & Monterrey Sultanes (sultans). After futbol, beisbol is the most popular deporte in Mexico.

I went to a pro baseball game before in Mexico (Aguascalientes). Was fun and a very lively atmosphere, fans were super into it and knew their stuff. That said it felt like a class A minor league game. Only place any major American sport would consider expanding into Mexico would be DF, even tho Monterrey, Juarez- El Paso, and Guadalajara are huge metro areas.

Untitled Jam 1 (1).png

9 hours ago, SleepingGiantsFan said:

Agree on the first part. As to the second, the Coliseum is a terrible location for a stadium. I must admit I haven't attended a game there in years but at least in driving past it, I continue to see a dearth of pubs, restaurants and the like which are part of a contemporary game experience. I suppose such businesses might follow the building of a new ballpark as was the case with AT&T Park but if I was going to build an upscale restaurant, that seedy neighborhood wouldn't exactly be my first choice of locations.

I'm one of the rare people who actually likes the Coliseum. But I realize that if they don't get something done they'll probably end up in Sacramento or Las Vegas. 

I'm sure they could redevelop the Coliseum acreage into something worthwhile, though. Or they could sell the land for huge amounts of money given Bay Area real estate prices. Either way, I'm confident something productive gets done. 

16 minutes ago, Joe from WY said:

I'm one of the rare people who actually likes the Coliseum. But I realize that if they don't get something done they'll probably end up in Sacramento or Las Vegas. 

I'm sure they could redevelop the Coliseum acreage into something worthwhile, though. Or they could sell the land for huge amounts of money given Bay Area real estate prices. Either way, I'm confident something productive gets done. 

I loved going to games there before Mt Davis. Used to be a really nice place to watch a game.

Would love it if they moved to Sacramento.

On 1/14/2019 at 12:47 PM, UNLV2001 said:

I would guess Tampa Rays would be 1st team to move, then perhaps Oakland A's - I'd much prefer an expansion team like the VGK rather than a relocation like the Raiders 

I agree, Tampa makes the most sen$e. 

5 hours ago, renoskier said:

I loved going to games there before Mt Davis. Used to be a really nice place to watch a game.

Would love it if they moved to Sacramento.

If they ever left Oakland, Sac would be my first choice for relocation site. Fresno would be a runner up.  

And the Pre-Mt. Davis Coliseum was a magical place. 

18 minutes ago, Joe from WY said:

If they ever left Oakland, Sac would be my first choice for relocation site. Fresno would be a runner up.  

And the Pre-Mt. Davis Coliseum was a magical place. 

Sacramento is a great baseball town. The Rivercats have had better attendance than some MLB teams, and they built their stadium to be expandable. 

Sacramento would give great support to a team, unfortunately it just doesn't have the corporate money. 

12 hours ago, VincentVegaBond said:

I went to a pro baseball game before in Mexico (Aguascalientes). Was fun and a very lively atmosphere, fans were super into it and knew their stuff. That said it felt like a class A minor league game. Only place any major American sport would consider expanding into Mexico would be DF, even tho Monterrey, Juarez- El Paso, and Guadalajara are huge metro areas.

El DF is trying to rebrand itself as CDMX.

17 hours ago, SleepingGiantsFan said:

x