Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TheTedfordTrain

2019 MWC Baseball.

I was just coming in to see for the baseball thread to get started.

Baseball starts a week from Friday

Nevada is the defending regular season champs looking to capture another title however the jaggernut is San Diego St who has won 5 of the last 6 conference tournaments to get into the NCAA Regionals.

The MWC tournament will be making a return trip to Reno, NV for this year.

For our Big West folks, Irvine and Fullerton are teams in preseason Top 25 lists. Also we are seeing a lot of games against Pac-12 teams on the Mountain West schedules for this year. 

February 15th:

Santa Clara @ San Jose St                   Seattle @ UNLV

San Francisco @ San DIego St             Utah Valley St @ Fresno St

Oregon St vs. New Mexico In Surprise AZ

Missouri St vs. Nevada in San Marcos TX

Army vs. Air Force in Baton Rouge LA

February 16th:

San Jose St @ Santa Clara (2)             Seattle @ UNLV

San Francisco @ San Diego St             Utah Valley St @ Fresno St

Nevada @ Texas St

Minnesota vs. New Mexico in Surprise AZ

Louisiana Monroe vs. Air Force in Baton Rouge LA

February 17th:

Santa Clara @ San Jose St                    Utah Valley St @ Fresno St

Seattle @ UNLV                                      San Francisco @ San Diego St

Air Force @ LSU                                    New Mexico vs. Gonzaga in AZ; Nevada vs. Utah in San Marcos

They kind of disappointed last year so it will be interesting to see if they recover this year East Coast.

With the changes up at Oregon St kind of interesting to see them so high.

Also it will be interesting to see if Big West bounces back from the bad year they had last year.

But truth is, the most important question is will someone other than San Diego St win the MWC Tournament.

On 2/8/2019 at 1:52 PM, bsu_alum9 said:

Boise's stadium isn't going to be ready for the inaugural season in 2020.  I guess they will likely play first season's home games at the Boise Hawks (single A) stadium (6 miles from campus).

I wonder if if was more of wishful thinking they would have one built in time for next season?

On 2/8/2019 at 1:52 PM, bsu_alum9 said:

Boise's stadium isn't going to be ready for the inaugural season in 2020.  I guess they will likely play first season's home games at the Boise Hawks (single A) stadium (6 miles from campus).

Why not just do what SJSU did with softball? They didn’t have the funds to build it, so they put the field and dirt out there, then asked the fans to bring their own lawn chairs. 

Fresno_State_Jim_Sweeny_Field_(_Bulldog_Stadium).jpg

On 2/4/2019 at 9:52 AM, wolfpack1 said:

February 15th:

Santa Clara @ San Jose St                   Seattle @ UNLV

San Francisco @ San DIego St             Utah Valley St @ Fresno St

Oregon St vs. New Mexico In Surprise AZ

Missouri St vs. Nevada in San Marcos TX

Army vs. Air Force in Baton Rouge LA

February 16th:

San Jose St @ Santa Clara (2)             Seattle @ UNLV

San Francisco @ San Diego St             Utah Valley St @ Fresno St

Nevada @ Texas St

Minnesota vs. New Mexico in Surprise AZ

Louisiana Monroe vs. Air Force in Baton Rouge LA

February 17th:

Santa Clara @ San Jose St                    Utah Valley St @ Fresno St

Seattle @ UNLV                                      San Francisco @ San Diego St

Air Force @ LSU                                    New Mexico vs. Gonzaga in AZ; Nevada vs. Utah in San Marcos

Good to see you back Wolfpack1. SJSU finished at 16-14 in the MW last season and I think we'll improve on that this year. Santa Clara is our oldest and closest rival and a good test to start off the season.

17 hours ago, crixus said:

Good to see you back Wolfpack1. SJSU finished at 16-14 in the MW last season and I think we'll improve on that this year. Santa Clara is our oldest and closest rival and a good test to start off the season.

Thank you Crixux. Last year SJSU surprised many people especially playing with an interim coach. I don't think they can sneak up on anyone this year however unless they win the MWC. If MWC can have a good OOC season maybe we can raise some eyebrows to get more than one team into the Regionals. My lookout is will someone other than SDSU win the tournament though.

MWC Coaches have done their preseason picks

1. SDSU with 32 Points and 4 first place votes

2. Nevada with 29 Points and 2 first place votes

3. Fresno St with 28 Points and 1 first place vote

4. UNLV with 24 Points

5. Air Force with 14 Points

6. New Mexico with 12 Points

7. San Jose St with 8 Points

2019 MOUNTAIN WEST BASEBALL PRESEASON ALL-CONFERENCE TEAM

Name Class Position Institution
Nic Ready Sr. 1B Air Force
Zach Ashford Sr. OF Fresno State
Carter Bins Jr. C Fresno State
Kaleb Foster Sr. C Nevada
Jake Jackson So. RHP Nevada
Joshua Zamora So. 3B Nevada
Jared Mang Sr. OF New Mexico
Logan Boyer Jr. RHP San Diego State
Julian Escobedo Jr. OF San Diego State
Casey Schmitt So. RHP San Diego State
Andrew Mitchel Sr. LHP San José State
Max Smith Sr. OF UNLV
Bryson Stott Jr. SS UNLV

https://themw.com/news/2019/2/12/baseball-coaches-pick-san-diego-state-to-win-2019-mountain-west-title.aspx

PRESEASON ALL-AMERICAN HONORS
Nic Ready (Air Force) – Collegiate Baseball News Second Team
Casey Schmitt (San Diego State) – NCBWA Second Team; Collegiate Baseball News Third Team
Bryson Stott (UNLV) – Perfect Game/Rawlings First Team; Baseball America Second Team; D1Baseball Second Team; NCBWA Second Team; Collegiate Baseball News Third Team

• UNLV junior shortstop Bryson Stott was named to the Golden Spikes Preseason Award watch list, which is given to the top amateur baseball player in the nation.
  • Fresno State LHP Nikoh Mitchell and San José State’s Fineas Bonta-Smith were named to the 2019 National Collegiate Baseball Writers Association (NCBWA) Stopper of the Year Preseason watch list. This annual award is given to the top relief pitcher in NCAA Division I Baseball.

https://themw.com/news/2019/2/13/mountain-west-baseball-season-begins-on-friday.aspx

On 1/15/2019 at 6:06 AM, brillio said:

I really wish we’d stop doing the tourney at the end of the season. We’re  not getting multiple bids, it takes away an OOC weekend, and it makes the regular season pointless. 

Yeah, we've already been screwed twice by that after winning the regular season, but I guess it makes sense to send the hottest team to the regionals when we're such a bad baseball league.

It's been so long since Nevada has made the regionals, it would be fun to be good in baseball again.

4 hours ago, bigd said:

Yeah, we've already been screwed twice by that after winning the regular season, but I guess it makes sense to send the hottest team to the regionals when we're such a bad baseball league.

It's been so long since Nevada has made the regionals, it would be fun to be good in baseball again.

I think it was really the year we won the regular season title with Johnson I think we got screwed a bit but at the same time we did choke in the tournament losing the first two games.

Last year, pretty much everyone knew Nevada had to win the tournament to get in so. But its just like in basketball, the tournaments at the end of the season matters more than the regular season for most of the conferences.

1 hour ago, East Coast Aztec said:

Does it seem like there are less games being streamed?  The Aztec schedule looks sparse, including a couple conference weekends with no games.  :blink:

Feel like with the plethora of stream options nowadays, we would have dang near every game available.  Now it seems fewer.

During the week you probably won't see that many games streamed however during the OOC I think it also runs into who is playing where. However sometimes it is getting harder and harder across the board to find some college baseball games unless you are part of the SEC

59 minutes ago, wolfpack1 said:

During the week you probably won't see that many games streamed however during the OOC I think it also runs into who is playing where. However sometimes it is getting harder and harder across the board to find some college baseball games unless you are part of the SEC

Your first sentence would be similar to last year.  I am seeing it being less than that.  Even though we have MWN deals with Stadium, Facebook, and the teams would even stream last year.  I am just not seeing that.  Hopefully I am wrong.