Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TheTedfordTrain

2019 MWC Baseball.

19 minutes ago, wolfpack1 said:

I wouldn't want to go to USC either. Just saying

I'm a bit shocked.  It's right in the heart of Los Angeles, in a power conference.  They can obviously offer more money than UCSB can and he wouldn't be interfered with much since football and men's basketball are king.  I think men's and women's volleyball might even be ahead of baseball there

On 6/11/2019 at 10:10 PM, jdgaucho said:

I'm a bit shocked.  It's right in the heart of Los Angeles, in a power conference.  They can obviously offer more money than UCSB can and he wouldn't be interfered with much since football and men's basketball are king.  I think men's and women's volleyball might even be ahead of baseball there

Most championships of any NCAA baseball program too. 

Dave Serrano is coming back to the west coast with Cal State Northridge.  From 1997-2011 he served as the pitching coach at Cal State Fullerton, then head coach at UC Irvine, and finally the head coach at Fullerton.  He led both of those schools to College World Series appearances.  Serrano is in his mid 50s but I think he still has something left in the tank.

I hope the two year Big West slump is over.

Gotta give props to CSUN @SleepingGiantsFan.  They are literally swinging for the fences.  Hoops with Reggie Theus and now Mark Gottfried, and baseball with Dave Serrano who's had much success here in SoCal. 

24 minutes ago, jdgaucho said:

Gotta give props to CSUN @SleepingGiantsFan.  They are literally swinging for the fences.  Hoops with Reggie Theus and now Mark Gottfried, and baseball with Dave Serrano who's had much success here in SoCal. 

I didn't recognize the name and had no idea what you were talking about but now see your post on the Big West board. Guy's got a pretty big name in the sport which should help recruiting. There was also an interesting blurb in the L.A. Times several weeks ago which ended up being peripherally about CSUN baseball.

I hadn't heard it before but apparently 2-3 years ago almost everybody and their brother was on board to tear down what little remains of the very first indoor mall, Topanga Plaza in Woodland Hills, and replace it with a Single A ballpark. A couple local investors had the dough to purchase the site, Mayor Garcetti had helped get the planning commission to approve and there were two struggling franchises in the Midwest interested in moving and playing there. Because of the proximity to their stadium the Dodgers had to approve, I guess because the minor league could in theory hurt their attendance, and after being contacted the Dodgers immediately said they had no objection. But for some inexplicable reason the Angels also had to approve and Arte Moreno refused. When contacted by the Times to ask why, the schmuck said simply "no comment." However, Moreno apparently got so much bad pub for being a dick that word is he donated $1M to CSUN to upgrade their stadium. That's just pocket change for Moreno but not to CSUN.

Boom goes the dynamite.

7 minutes ago, SleepingGiantsFan said:

I didn't recognize the name and had no idea what you were talking about but now see your post on the Big West board. Guy's got a pretty big name in the sport which should help recruiting. There was also an interesting blurb in the L.A. Times several weeks ago which ended up being peripherally about CSUN baseball.

I hadn't heard it before but apparently 2-3 years ago almost everybody and their brother was on board to tear down what little remains of the very first indoor mall, Topanga Plaza in Woodland Hills, and replace it with a Single A ballpark. A couple local investors had the dough to purchase the site, Mayor Garcetti had helped get the planning commission to approve and there were two struggling franchises in the Midwest interested in moving and playing there. Because of the proximity to their stadium the Dodgers had to approve, I guess because the minor league could in theory hurt their attendance, and after being contacted the Dodgers immediately said they had no objection. But for some inexplicable reason the Angels also had to approve and Arte Moreno refused. When contacted by the Times to ask why, the schmuck said simply "no comment." However, Moreno apparently got so much bad pub for being a dick that word is he donated $1M to CSUN to upgrade their stadium. That's just pocket change for Moreno but not to CSUN.

What a coincidence.  CSUN earlier this year received a $1 million donation.  The money was geared towards a new lighting system and their youth baseball initiative.  If Arte's gesture was 2-3 years ago as you say, then it might not be this specific donation. But in any event, CSUN ended up benefiting. 

https://gomatadors.com/news/2019/2/15/mlb-and-mlbpa-youth-development-foundation-provides-1-million-grant-to-upgrade-csun-baseball.aspx

As for Coach Serrano, his third foray into west coast coaching might be what gets him back on track. 

1 hour ago, jdgaucho said:

Dave Serrano is coming back to the west coast with Cal State Northridge.  From 1997-2011 he served as the pitching coach at Cal State Fullerton, then head coach at UC Irvine, and finally the head coach at Fullerton.  He led both of those schools to College World Series appearances.  Serrano is in his mid 50s but I think he still has something left in the tank.

I hope the two year Big West slump is over.

Apparently he interviewed for the SJSU job last year, but they decided to go with (or stay with, depending how you look at it) Sanfilippo. I think Serrano would have been the better hire, but hopefully Sanfilippo proves me wrong.

On 6/11/2019 at 7:10 PM, jdgaucho said:

Oh he would be bothered there because USC wants to get back to where they once were for baseball. They have had 14 years of futility, only been to the regional once since 2005. There last three managers have losing career records with USC. with what Checketts has done at UCSB, I think there would be a lot of pressure on him to do what he did at UCSB and do it at USC. They want to get back to those glory years and being in Southern California they are falling behind. But if I was him, I would be staying at UCSB as well, except for money, I think it would be a no win situation for him and something that could damage his career

1 hour ago, jdgaucho said:

You can swing for the fences but miss mightily to. They didn't do well with Theus hire, and we will have to sit back and watch with Gottfried however at least Northridge is going with someone in baseball that knows the Big West which is going to be a plus.

Michigan defeats Texas Tech 5-3 to advance to the winner's bracket

Florida St defeats Arkansas 1-0 to advance to the winner's bracket

On Monday Texas Tech will play Arkansas in an elimination game

On Monday Florida St will play Michigan to see who continues in the winner bracket

Mississippi St defeats Auburn 5-4 as Mississippi St scores 4 runs in the bottom of the Ninth.

On Tuesday

Auburn vs. Louisville in an elimination game

Mississippi St vs. Vanderbilt in a winners bracket game.