Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mugtang

Poll: When does the shutdown end?

Shutdown  

36 members have voted

1. 1. When will the government shutdown end?

• On or before 1/18/2019
    • 1/19/2019 - 1/25/2019
    • 1/26/2019 - 1/31/2019
    • 2/1/2019 - 2/14/2019
    • 2/15/2019 - 2/28/2019
    • 3/1/2019 - 3/15/2019
    • 3/15/2019 - 3/31/2019
    • After 4/1/2019

So... Trump is threatening to overthrow a co-equal branch of government next week. 

d1QHNJk.jpg

A few things to note here... as I've said a number of times, Trump cannot give a State of the Union address without a Joint Session of Congress having been called. A Joint Session of Congress cannot be called without both the House and the Senate having passed Concurrent Resolutions... neither of them have as of now. 

Additionally, while Trump has the right to be on the floor of the House, he cannot give a speech on the floor without the permission of the Speaker of the House. Additionally, the Speaker of the House has control over the cameras in the chamber as well. 

Here are the possibilities in my mind...

1. Trump caves and agrees to reopen the government without the $5.7B in wall funding and Concurrent Resolutions are passed for a Joint Session.
  2. Pelosi caves and passes a Concurrent Resolution with the Senate for a Joint Session.
  3. Trump submits a written report to Congress, and then gives an address from the Senate floor with McConnell's permission or from the Oval Office and calls it the State of the Union anyway. 

10 minutes ago, retrofade said:

So... Trump is threatening to overthrow a co-equal branch of government next week. 

d1QHNJk.jpg

A few things to note here... as I've said a number of times, Trump cannot give a State of the Union address without a Joint Session of Congress having been called. A Joint Session of Congress cannot be called without both the House and the Senate having passed Concurrent Resolutions... neither of them have as of now. 

Additionally, while Trump has the right to be on the floor of the House, he cannot give a speech on the floor without the permission of the Speaker of the House. Additionally, the Speaker of the House has control over the cameras in the chamber as well. 

Here are the possibilities in my mind...

1. Trump caves and agrees to reopen the government without the $5.7B in wall funding and Concurrent Resolutions are passed for a Joint Session.
  2. Pelosi caves and passes a Concurrent Resolution with the Senate for a Joint Session.
  3. Trump submits a written report to Congress, and then gives an address from the Senate floor with McConnell's permission or from the Oval Office and calls it the State of the Union anyway. 

I think threatening to overthrow a co-equal branch of government is a bit of a reach.  

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

pokerider goan be incorrect in three days. Way things are headed, eleven more of us will be proved incorrect less than a week later.

My (lame) excuse will be that I was sure a settlement would be reached prior to the State of the Union address. Now maybe we need a poll as to when THAT will happen.

Boom goes the dynamite.

1 minute ago, mugtang said:

I think threatening to overthrow a co-equal branch of government is a bit of a reach.  

Yes, it was hyperbole on my part... but what would you call it if he really does demand to address Congress from the floor of the House as he suggests he'll do.

5 minutes ago, retrofade said:

Yes, it was hyperbole on my part... but what would you call it if he really does demand to address Congress from the floor of the House as he suggests he'll do.

I would call it a temper tantrum by a man-child. 

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

1 minute ago, mugtang said:

I would call it a temper tantrum by a man-child. 

What if he attempts to force his way onto the floor of the House and tries to give a speech? At that point, he is actively imposing his will on a co-equal branch of government in violation of the law. 

11 minutes ago, retrofade said:

What if he attempts to force his way onto the floor of the House and tries to give a speech? At that point, he is actively imposing his will on a co-equal branch of government in violation of the law. 

If he does that then we could have a bigger issue.  Let’s hope it doesn’t come to that. 

Just now, mugtang said:

If he does that then we could have a bigger issue.  Let’s hope it doesn’t come to that. 

I definitely agree... but it's why I used the language I did. If he does go through with what he's saying, without anything else changing, then his actions would be usurping Constitutional authority from a co-equal branch of government. That's placing the Executive above the other two branches of Government. It would almost literally be a crossing the Rubicon moment. 

I hope Pelosi keeps saying no and Trump nevertheless shows up in the House and demands to speak.

I have no idea what will happen but it should be interesting and we all need something to change the focus from last Friday's Washington Monument event.

Then we'll need something else to divert our attention from the shitstorm which will follow the physical confrontation between Don and Nancy. (They should get a room.)

Boom goes the dynamite.

7 minutes ago, retrofade said:

Link?

I believe it’s this:

https://www.congress.gov/bill/116th-congress/house-joint-resolution/28

And here’s the votes on it:

http://clerk.house.gov/evs/2019/roll043.xml

18 minutes ago, Jackrabbit said:

When the media begins to be honest and reports something. ....the House rejected a Republicans  provision to pay govt workers w/o opening govt

So the GOP wants to pay federal employees without them going to work, is that what you're saying?

51 minutes ago, mugtang said:

This article says it passed.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.staugustine.com/news/20190119/congressional-votes-for-week-of-jan-11-17-2019%3ftemplate=ampart

The House also passed the Further Additional Continuing Appropriations Act (H.J. Res. 28), making further continuing appropriations for fiscal year 2019; the TANF Extension Act (H.R. 430), to extend the program of block grants to States for temporary assistance for needy families and related programs through June 30, 2019; the Federal Intern Protection Act (H.R. 136), to amend title 5, United States Code, to protect unpaid interns in the Federal Government from workplace harassment and discrimination; and the All-American Flag Act (H.R. 113), to require the purchase of domestically made flags of the United States of America for use by the Federal Government

Or is this something else?

36 minutes ago, rudolro said:

This article says it passed.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.staugustine.com/news/20190119/congressional-votes-for-week-of-jan-11-17-2019%3ftemplate=ampart

The House also passed the Further Additional Continuing Appropriations Act (H.J. Res. 28), making further continuing appropriations for fiscal year 2019; the TANF Extension Act (H.R. 430), to extend the program of block grants to States for temporary assistance for needy families and related programs through June 30, 2019; the Federal Intern Protection Act (H.R. 136), to amend title 5, United States Code, to protect unpaid interns in the Federal Government from workplace harassment and discrimination; and the All-American Flag Act (H.R. 113), to require the purchase of domestically made flags of the United States of America for use by the Federal Government

Or is this something else?

Yes it did pass a few days later. I missed that.  Here are the votes:

http://clerk.house.gov/evs/2019/roll046.xml

Funny the votes are nearly flipped.  I wonder what changed in the resolution.