Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mugtang

Poll: When does the shutdown end?

Shutdown  

36 members have voted

1. 1. When will the government shutdown end?

• On or before 1/18/2019
    • 1/19/2019 - 1/25/2019
    • 1/26/2019 - 1/31/2019
    • 2/1/2019 - 2/14/2019
    • 2/15/2019 - 2/28/2019
    • 3/1/2019 - 3/15/2019
    • 3/15/2019 - 3/31/2019
    • After 4/1/2019

Just now, pokebball said:

You seem to be hung up on what his speech, should he give one, is called?

YOU'RE the one that's hung up on it. You're saying that he can give a State of the Union address wherever he wants, whenever he wants... that isn't the case. He can submit a report to Congress, and then he can give a speech whenever he feels like it, wherever he feels like it. He can't do it in the House of Representatives without being invited to do so, and he can't do it before a Joint Session of Congress without a Concurrent Resolution being passed by both bodies. Goddamn, it's like talking to a brick wall.

Just now, retrofade said:

YOU'RE the one that's hung up on it. You're saying that he can give a State of the Union address wherever he wants, whenever he wants... that isn't the case. He can submit a report to Congress, and then he can give a speech whenever he feels like it, wherever he feels like it. He can't do it in the House of Representatives without being invited to do so, and he can't do it before a Joint Session of Congress without a Concurrent Resolution being passed by both bodies. Goddamn, it's like talking to a brick wall.

We'll see whats done and where and readdress later.

The World Needs More Cowboys!

13 minutes ago, pokerider said:

um EXCEPT that the Republicans spent Trillions of $ with Obama as President.  They did a 2 week shutdown primarily over Obamacare funding, however Republicans Alexander and McConnell COMPROMISED and moved forward. 

It is quite obvious that both parties want to limit the other parties president,  but the facts are Republicans spent right along with the Dems during Obama's terms.  

That's quite a twisted claim.  The fact is the Republican Congress sent Obama budgets that Obama signed.  So, Obama worked with the Republicans, not the other way around. 

3 minutes ago, sandiegopete said:

There is no Constitutional requirement for the president to give a state of the union speech.  So, why give one?

I'm not saying he should or shouldn't.  If he wants to, he will say whatever he wants to say.  Whether you guys call it a State of the Union or not is your concern, not mine.

1 minute ago, sandiegopete said:

That's quite a twisted claim.  The fact is the Republican Congress sent Obama budgets that Obama signed.  So, Obama worked with the Republicans, not the other way around. 

Really, so Obama was railroaded by Republican?  Thats your claim now?  So Republicans slashed the military budgets for their own benefit?   Talk about twisting things around>...

2 minutes ago, sandiegopete said:

So you’re saying Republicans never worked with Obama?  I’m confused. 

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

2 minutes ago, pokerider said:

Really, so Obama was railroaded by Republican?  Thats your claim now?  So Republicans slashed the military budgets for their own benefit?   Talk about twisting things around>...

It takes both to work together, right?

Just now, sandiegopete said:

Not surprising. (You really left yourself open for that one)

You didn’t answer the question. 

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

10 minutes ago, pokerider said:

Really, so Obama was railroaded by Republican?  Thats your claim now?  So Republicans slashed the military budgets for their own benefit?   Talk about twisting things around>…

While the Democrats controlled both houses of Congress the military budget increased.  It was only after the Republicans gained control of both Houses that the military budget started to get cut:

https://www.statista.com/statistics/272473/us-military-spending-from-2000-to-2012/

6 minutes ago, sandiegopete said:

No, they never did.

Sure sounds like Republicans did work with Obama:

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/articles/2017/01/16/obamas_unsung_bipartisan_legacy_132798.html

I’m not going to sit here and pretend the GOP never tried to obstruct Obama, because they did.  But to say the GOP never worked with Obama on anything is a lie. 

4 minutes ago, mugtang said:

Sure sounds like Republicans did work with Obama:

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/articles/2017/01/16/obamas_unsung_bipartisan_legacy_132798.html

I’m not going to sit here and pretend the GOP never tried to obstruct Obama, because they did.  But to say the GOP never worked with Obama on anything is a lie. 

Did you read that article?  What it describes is times that Obama acquiesced to the Republican Congress.

4 minutes ago, sandiegopete said:

Did you read that article?  What it describes is times that Obama acquiesced to the Republican Congress.

Of course I read the article. What you call acquiescence I call working together to solve issues. From the article. 

Obama was accused of capitulation when, after the 2010 midterms in which Republicans claimed the House, he agreed to extend George W. Bush’s signature tax cut law, which was due to expire, for two more years. In exchange, Republicans accepted a temporary extension for long-term unemployment insurance and a one-year payroll tax cut.

That sure sounds like a give and take there...

And then there’s this:

He dispatched Vice President Joe Biden to hash out an agreement with Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (despite Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid’s desire to hold out for more). The final deal, largely repealing the Bush tax cuts for the wealthy, created a tax code that the New York Times said could be “by some measures … the most progressive in a generation.” And nearly every Senate Republican, and one-third of House Republicans, voted for it.

That sure sounds like Republicans working with Obama.   

3 minutes ago, retrofade said:

:lol:

A judge might rule that they don't have to provide records for political reasons.  I guess we'll see.  
So does that mean Trump could have the the FBI do investigations on the Dems in Congress too?  Its ok to do one but not the other?