Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BobbyBoSox

THE way too early: BSU vs. Nevada

I posted this elsewhere and thought I would share it here:

So, the main question is, 
"What would a win against Nevada look like?"

I really like this team. I just can't see it.

D 
Caroline-Has to be Whacker or RJ. I like RJ better but he has to learn to play within himself. 
Caleb-I really think we have to guard him with JJ or Hobbs. I like Hobbs craftiness but he is 3" smaller than Caleb. I just don't think JJ is quick enough to pressure/contain Caleb. 
But I believe Rice will use Marcus on Caleb. It's a mis-match. But Marcus handled Justin James from Wyoming. Who is the same height and little quicker than Caleb. (Though not nearly as strong physically or mentally.) 
All the other matchups, I really like. 
It does not bode well that we don't match up well against their 2 best players. 
Here is the saving grace: If we pressure their shooting, we could force them into a bad shooting night. And we do rebound better than FSU. (Caroline had a steak dinner on their glass.)

O 
We must attack the rim! 
If we do that and get them in foul trouble, this could get interesting. 
Oh, and we have to nail our kickout 3's.

I am having a lot of trouble seeing this happen though. It will be fun to watch to say the least.

8 minutes ago, Aslowhiteguy said:

It doesn't matter what Leon does. His team is about to get an old school, ass kicking. And there is nothing he can do about it.

Yeah, I’m not even going to bring up MWCBoard juju on this because even that won’t be enough. If UNR doesn’t win this by at least 20, they should be ashamed of themselves. 

bsu_retro_bsu_logo_helmet.b_1.jpg

3 hours ago, BobbyBoSox said:

I posted this elsewhere and thought I would share it here:

So, the main question is, 
"What would a win against Nevada look like?"

I really like this team. I just can't see it.

D 
Caroline-Has to be Whacker or RJ. I like RJ better but he has to learn to play within himself. 
Caleb-I really think we have to guard him with JJ or Hobbs. I like Hobbs craftiness but he is 3" smaller than Caleb. I just don't think JJ is quick enough to pressure/contain Caleb. 
But I believe Rice will use Marcus on Caleb. It's a mis-match. But Marcus handled Justin James from Wyoming. Who is the same height and little quicker than Caleb. (Though not nearly as strong physically or mentally.) 
All the other matchups, I really like. 
It does not bode well that we don't match up well against their 2 best players. 
Here is the saving grace: If we pressure their shooting, we could force them into a bad shooting night. And we do rebound better than FSU. (Caroline had a steak dinner on their glass.)

O 
We must attack the rim! 
If we do that and get them in foul trouble, this could get interesting. 
Oh, and we have to nail our kickout 3's.

I am having a lot of trouble seeing this happen though. It will be fun to watch to say the least.

There won’t be matchups on defense. We will play zone most of the game. We would be insane to try and play them man to man. We will just get beat and end up in foul trouble. To stay close we need to rebound well on the defensive boards, limit turnovers, shoot well, and hope they have an off night shooting. 

We will do well to stay within 15 points of them. 

45 minutes ago, soupslam1 said:

There won’t be matchups on defense. We will play zone most of the game. We would be insane to try and play them man to man. We will just get beat and end up in foul trouble. To stay close we need to rebound well on the defensive boards, limit turnovers, shoot well, and hope they have an off night shooting. 

I think 15’s a big number. Nevada traditionally plays pretty well in Boise but Rice is a good coach IMO. I’m thinking like 6-8??

43 minutes ago, NevadaFan said:

I think 15’s a big number. Nevada traditionally plays pretty well in Boise but Rice is a good coach IMO. I’m thinking like 6-8??

This isn’t Rice’s typical team. We don’t have any Derrick Marks or Hutchisons on this team. We don’t have a single player that would start on the Nevada team. A few guys might see 10-15 minutes on Nevada’s team, but not much more. 

1 hour ago, soupslam1 said:

I'm with soup on this one. Staying within 15 will be an accomplishment. We are playng better and are 3-0 in conference but have had an easy schedule. At Wyoming against an injury depleted cowboy team, at San Jose State, and at home against a surprisingly bad San Diego State team that was plagued by early foul trouble to 3 starters. It is going to be a tough week for BSU with Nevada then Fresno. At least both games are at home. 

1 hour ago, cardrater said:

81-66 Nevada

14 minutes ago, soupslam1 said:

Sounds about right. 

Yep, seems about right. I'm hoping that Boise comes in really loose. If they are hitting their shots it could be a game. RJ has been really cold lately and hasn't done well against athletic teams. It would really help if he broke out of that. 

Very strong possibility BSU eliminates UNR from MWC title contention on Tuesday. The Pack knows they are already on the ropes so they will be desperate, but their inability to hit a barn door from three will ultimately cost them the game.

The good news for Pack fans is that their strong OOC performance has them pretty well positioned to receive a #3 seed in the NIT.

18 hours ago, BSUTOP25 said:

Yeah, I’m not even going to bring up MWCBoard juju on this because even that won’t be enough. If UNR doesn’t win this by at least 20, they should be ashamed of themselves. 

You have reached a new level of juju!  Smooth...

1 minute ago, soupslam1 said:

Reno will slide, but not that much unless Musselman leaves. 

6 of 7 in the rotation leave. That's a tough rebuild. If Muss can pull it off a 2nd time, build the man a statue and find another 3 mil to lock him down.

Boise is returning damn near everything, my preseason faves for next year. Returning 4 above average shooters and RJ Williams will be a possible MWC POY candidate. Kinda reminds me of Brandon Clarke when he was at SJSU. Just a jack of all trades.

All is well, For Rice is gone.                  

7 minutes ago, BestintheWest said:

6 of 7 in the rotation leave. That's a tough rebuild. If Muss can pull it off a 2nd time, build the man a statue and find another 3 mil to lock him down.

Boise is returning damn near everything, my preseason faves for next year. Returning 4 above average shooters and RJ Williams will be a possible MWC POY candidate. Kinda reminds me of Brandon Clarke when he was at SJSU. Just a jack of all trades.

Surely you jest about RJ Williams. The guy plays with a lot of energy, but out of control and is a turnover machine. He also can’t hit a 15 foot jump shot. His playing time and scoring has diminished in the last 4-5 games. Are you thinking of Alston instead? He is getting more of Williams playing time and had 30 points against SDSU.