Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

retrofade

Concourse G closes at Miami International Airport as federal government shutdown drags on

48 minutes ago, nashvillepoke said:

I'm not sure I am following here.  

Maybe I’m not the one following correctly. I just didn’t see the relevance of locally owned general purpose airports because they don’t have passengers. 

Thay Haif Said: Quhat Say Thay? Lat Thame Say

7 hours ago, mugtang said:

Most people don’t have savings like that.  

It is irresponsible to not have savings like that especially when you are in a federal job where the pay and benefits are ridiculously high for the job requirements and very low bar to keep said job.

I agree though most people in this country are morons who live paycheck to paycheck.

I will say though that all they have to do is call their mortgage lender and tell them the situation and they will get relief.  They can get short term loans for immediate expenses based on their future paycheck.  No one even the paycheck to paycheck morons are in any danger of starving.

18 hours ago, easybronc said:

Good thing the dems took a charter jet to Puerto Rico for their party.  No worries about airport security or concourse G.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/democrats-fly-to-puerto-rico-amid-ongoing-government-shutdown

Despite a partial government shutdown with no end in sight, about 30 Democratic members of Congress traveled to Puerto Rico this weekend -- with their families and lobbyists -- for a winter retreat where they also planned to see a special performance of the hit Broadway show “Hamilton.”

Way to leave out their actual reasons for going to Puerto Rico. 

The overwhelming majority of Latinos in Congress are Democrats and now that their party is in charge in the U.S. House, they want Puerto Rico’s recovery to be a priority.

To that end, more than 30 Democratic members of Congress — mostly members of the Congressional Hispanic Caucus, but other House members too — are gathering in Puerto Rico this weekend.

They are attending the annual winter retreat of Bold PAC, the CHC’s political and fundraising arm, in Puerto Rico’s capital, San Juan.

While there, members of Congress will don their legislative hats and hold a round table with Puerto Rico Gov. Ricardo Rosselló, San Juan Mayor Carmen Yulín Cruz, the Puerto Rico Assembly’s Majority Leader Carmelo Ríos Santiago and other Puerto Rico legislative leaders.

Members are also taking medical supplies that they plan to distribute.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/latino/latino-house-democrats-make-show-new-strength-puerto-rico-n956426

Terminal B at George H.W. Bush International Airport in Houston is closed now.

A terminal at Houston's George Bush International Airport remained closed Monday for a second day amid a shortage of security workers who have gone unpaid during the partial government shutdown, officials said.

The airport tweeted that the closing of Terminal B's security checkpoint and ticketing counter is attributed to “staffing issues” related to the shutdown, which entered its 24th day on Monday. Flights were still operating out of Terminal B, but passengers were directed to checkpoints and ticketing counters in other terminals.

“Advice to always get to @iah 2 hours before your flight is especially important today,” Houston Mayor Sylvester Turner tweeted Sunday. “Shortage of TSA workers, unpaid during the US gov’t shutdown, is causing this change.”

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/terminal-houston-airport-closed-amid-government-shutdown-n958246

8 hours ago, Old_SD_Dude said:

Maybe I’m not the one following correctly. I just didn’t see the relevance of locally owned general purpose airports because they don’t have passengers. 

Pretty much all airports are owned by a local municipality or regional entity.  For example BNA in Nashville is owned and operated by the Nashville government.  The airports in the New York area are owned and operated by the port authority of NY/NJ

38 minutes ago, nashvillepoke said:

Pretty much all airports are owned by a local municipality or regional entity.  For example BNA in Nashville is owned and operated by the Nashville government.  The airports in the New York area are owned and operated by the port authority of NY/NJ

Of course they are owned by government entities. I just didn’t see the relevance of the bulk of these airports, the small general-purpose used for civilian aviation, to a TSA discussion because they don’t accommodate passenger flights. If I misunderstood your point, my bad. 

Thay Haif Said: Quhat Say Thay? Lat Thame Say

37 minutes ago, Old_SD_Dude said:

Of course they are owned by government entities. I just didn’t see the relevance of the bulk of these airports, the small general-purpose used for civilian aviation, to a TSA discussion because they don’t accommodate passenger flights. If I misunderstood your point, my bad. 

So what I was trying to point is the fact that the local municipality has to get TSA approval for the security work force, meaning I'm not sure there is a true "opt out" mechanism other than at the individual worker level.  I would have do some more research but I don't think TSA has ever approved the use of a third party.

5 minutes ago, Joe from WY said:

SFO has private screeners. That works out pretty well. 

Yes, a number of airports are part of the Partnership program.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Screening_Partnership_Program#Participating_airports

Screening at SFO, which I travel thru once or twice a year, is just the same as everywhere else. Maybe their uniforms have a different patch but that's about it.

3 minutes ago, nashvillepoke said:

Good to hear.  Unfortunately I get stuck on the East coast for travel and have to deal with those airports, which I havent seen any private screeners

They're pretty good there...very efficient. Nashville's screeners aren't too bad either. I think the worst ones I've dealt with recently were in Orlando. But everybody at the Orlando Airport is an asshole, so maybe it's just an extension of that. 

22 minutes ago, Joe from WY said:

They're pretty good there...very efficient. Nashville's screeners aren't too bad either. I think the worst ones I've dealt with recently were in Orlando. But everybody at the Orlando Airport is an asshole, so maybe it's just an extension of that. 

Orlando has it's fair share of challenges, but not as bad as Newark.  I have found Newark to be the dregs of the airport community.

13 minutes ago, nashvillepoke said:

Orlando has it's fair share of challenges, but not as bad as Newark.  I have found Newark to be the dregs of the airport community.

Newark is a shithole. I saw two people get into a fist fight on Christmas Eve at the EZ-Pass lane there when I was walking to the Marriott in the parking lot. Beyond that, though, it's a cesspool, operationally and personnel wise. People bitch about LaGuardia and JFK, and much of the bitching is justified, but they don't have shit on EWR as far as "user-(un)friendliness" goes. Philadelphia is kind of the outlier to that sort of experience in that part of the world...I've never had any problems there. 

Minneapolis also has some real retards as TSA workers too that I've noticed. That said, I've noticed that things aren't so bad out west, but the eastern people really like to power trip. 

My wife and her 24 year old assistant travel about 48 weeks a year for business.   It is a running joke between them betting how many times each week the assistant gets to go in the back for a pat down.   This has happened to my wife once in the last 12 years.  It has happened to her assistant 5 times this year alone.   I wonder why?