Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

retrofade

Concourse G closes at Miami International Airport as federal government shutdown drags on

Miami International Airport’s Concourse G closed at 12:45 p.m. on Saturday — 15 minutes earlier than planned — as the federal government remained shut down for a 22nd day, making it the longest shutdown in U.S. history.

The airport was forced to shutter the concourse for the afternoon due to a shortage of Transportation Safety Administration officers, who have been working without pay for three weeks and are missing more shifts as the shutdown drags on.

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/business/tourism-cruises/article224310010.html

Good thing the dems took a charter jet to Puerto Rico for their party.  No worries about airport security or concourse G.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/democrats-fly-to-puerto-rico-amid-ongoing-government-shutdown

Despite a partial government shutdown with no end in sight, about 30 Democratic members of Congress traveled to Puerto Rico this weekend -- with their families and lobbyists -- for a winter retreat where they also planned to see a special performance of the hit Broadway show “Hamilton.”

1 hour ago, nashvillepoke said:

The precheck line in EWR closed down and didnt reopen two minutes after I passed through.  The airports were kind of dead yesterday so it wasnt a big deal.  I think the airports should leverage this to privatize the security lines.

I believe the payments to private contractors would have also have been shut down.

29 minutes ago, jackmormon said:

I believe the payments to private contractors would have also have been shut down.

I believe those contracts are paid quarterly or potentially through funding via the airport, so the contracting companies are still able to pay their staff. That's the difference... TSA agents are being forced to work without getting paid, so they're just calling out sick instead. 

I think it should be illegal to force ANY employee to work free no matter who employs them, including the feds.

That would put an end to this nonsense once and for all forcing the government to do its job.

One of the Final Five..........

52 minutes ago, mysfit said:

I think it should be illegal to force ANY employee to work free no matter who employs them, including the feds.

That would put an end to this nonsense once and for all forcing the government to do its job.

Their pay is delayed. The house and senate both passed bills that said everybody who’s working will receive back pay.  Now it’s stupid that they’re having their pay delayed but they aren’t working for free. 

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

3 hours ago, nashvillepoke said:

The precheck line in EWR closed down and didnt reopen two minutes after I passed through.  The airports were kind of dead yesterday so it wasnt a big deal.  I think the airports should leverage this to privatize the security lines.

Yeah ‘cause privatizing prisons and mercenaries serving in war zones has been stellar decisions.

So your idea of American security is hoping a bin laden doesn’t buy their way through to commit terrorist acts.  Great.

51t4uwlffaL._SL160_SS150_.jpg324804241_0b7c67b2af_m.jpg

BCS is to Football what Fox News is to Journalism

Just now, Boise fan said:

Yeah ‘cause privatizing prisons and mercenaries serving in war zones has been stellar decisions.

So your idea of American security is hoping a bin laden doesn’t buy their way through to commit terrorist acts.  Great.

That is a bit of stretch, but I do believe if you want true security in the passenger screening area, then you need to hire a firm that doesnt miss 95% of snuggled items, all the while harassing old people in wheelchairs.

The TSA has failed miserably and done nothing but created a bloated bureaucracy within the federal government.  As someone that took over 100 flights last year I feel I have a bit of hands on experience with the TSA.

1 minute ago, nashvillepoke said:

That is a bit of stretch, but I do believe if you want true security in the passenger screening area, then you need to hire a firm that doesnt miss 95% of snuggled items, all the while harassing old people in wheelchairs.

The TSA has failed miserably and done nothing but created a bloated bureaucracy within the federal government.  As someone that took over 100 flights last year I feel I have a bit of hands on experience with the TSA.

Yes, because private security did such a great job:rolleyes:

Image result for 911 at security checkpoint

Just now, renoskier said:

Yes, because private security did such a great job:rolleyes:

Image result for 911 at security checkpoint

All I am saying is there are better options than what we endure today.  The trusted traveler program and precheck are good starts.  Security prior to 9/11 was way too lax, and now all we have is an over reaction to a crisis

3 minutes ago, nashvillepoke said:

All I am saying is there are better options than what we endure today.  The trusted traveler program and precheck are good starts.  Security prior to 9/11 was way too lax, and now all we have is an over reaction to a crisis

Possibly, but why do you jump to blame TSA for these problems. The TSA didn't make the new rules and the rules will be the same regardless of who's running the show.

Although I don't really like taking off my shoes, in my dozens of trips since 9/11, I've never had a problem with TSA employees and we haven't had an airplane blow up or fall out of the sky due to terrorism since 9/11. 

12 minutes ago, renoskier said:

Possibly, but why do you jump to blame TSA for these problems. The TSA didn't make the new rules and the rules will be the same regardless of who's running the show.

Although I don't really like taking off my shoes, in my dozens of trips since 9/11, I've never had a problem with TSA employees and we haven't had an airplane blow up or fall out of the sky due to terrorism since 9/11. 

You really must not travel very often.

4 minutes ago, retrofade said:

You really must not travel very often.

I fly commercially about 5 or 6 times a year.

Take your shoes off, put your shit in the bin, raise your arms to get scanned, pick up your shit, no problem.

What kind of problems have you had?

1 hour ago, renoskier said:

Most TSA employees are just fine, but there seems to be one or two on a serious power trip at every airport.  They truly make life miserable and provide no additional security whatsoever.  

52 minutes ago, renoskier said:

I fly commercially about 5 or 6 times a year.

Take your shoes off, put your shit in the bin, raise your arms to get scanned, pick up your shit, no problem.

What kind of problems have you had?

I don't have to take my shoes off or remove anything from my carry on as I have Precheck, but there are still jackasses in the precheck lines.  Especially in the north east.  

Just now, nashvillepoke said:

Most TSA employees are just fine, but there seems to be one or two on a serious power trip at every airport.  They truly make life miserable and provide no additional security whatsoever.  

As much as I've flown, I've never really witnessed any TSA "abuse". I have seen many travelers come unglued but it was because they didn't have their shit together and then got upset because a TSA employee wouldn't let them slide. Also, even if there are a few bad apples, wouldn't the same be true if security was privatized once again?

2 minutes ago, nashvillepoke said:

I don't have to take my shoes off or remove anything from my carry on as I have Precheck, but there are still jackasses in the precheck lines.  Especially in the north east.  

What do you mean "jackasses", fellow passengers or TSA employees? What specifically have they done to upset you?

1 minute ago, renoskier said:

As much as I've flown, I've never really witnessed any TSA "abuse". I have seen many travelers come unglued but it was because they didn't have their shit together and then got upset because a TSA employee wouldn't let them slide. Also, even if there are a few bad apples, wouldn't the same be true if security was privatized once again?

There are bad apples with an extremely powerful union backing them up.  Almost impossible to fire a government employee.