Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

lawofthejunglenv

#10 Nevada @ Fresno State

8 minutes ago, retrofade said:

I went back and looked at the box scores of all of our games this season, and that was the worst free throw shooting performance of the season. 

Besides the TCU game this is the first full game I've seen all season. So today was an outlier.

Fresno State has a tough gritty team I hope makes it to the NCAA tournament. I'm a Wolf Pack fan so I can't root for them when Nevada plays them. I hope they match up with Nevada in the MWC Tournament championship game and win or lose they make it to the NCAA tournament.

Caroline is one tough sob. Plus he hustles his ass off.  He was the difference in this game. He got offensive rebounds at critical times and put backs or got fouled. No one in the league has a player like him. I love watching him play, but I won’t be sad to see that guy graduate. 

Nevada has been in a lot of close tough games and knows how to execute when it matters. Fresno State is still learning, and will get there by the end of the season. If these two meet in the MWC championship game it’s going to be one helluva fight. 

9 minutes ago, soupslam1 said:

Caroline is one tough sob. Plus he hustles his ass off.  He was the difference in this game. He got offensive rebounds at critical times and put backs or got fouled. No one in the league has a player like him. I love watching him play, but I won’t be sad to see that guy graduate. 

Nevada has been in a lot of close tough games and knows how to execute when it matters. Fresno State is still learning, and will get there by the end of the season. If these two meet in the MWC championship game it’s going to be one helluva fight. 

+1 Caroline is a beast....and he's having fun doing it.

13 minutes ago, soupslam1 said:

Agreed... he was really impressive. I love our team, but we have a lot of flaws and her was able to expose a big one. I'm looking forward to seeing what Coach Hut is able to do with his own recruits and with more years of his coaching behind the younger guys on the team. 

10 hours ago, retrofade said:

Agreed... he was really impressive. I love our team, but we have a lot of flaws and her was able to expose a big one. I'm looking forward to seeing what Coach Hut is able to do with his own recruits and with more years of his coaching behind the younger guys on the team. 

I'm looking forward to see what Hut does after watching film and seeing how badly those weaknesses were exposed.

I watched the game all the way up until fresneck went down 10. Then I turned it off.

I thought the difference in the game was the Martins. Their size as ball handling guards who can shoot really kept the fresno defense off balance. You have to get so close to them to contest the 3, that they beat you into the lane for easy finishes. They got easier baskets than Fresnos scoring guards, because size helps them defend too.

I thought fresno did a decent job on Caroline, until the martins got going. It takes so much attention to stop them that it gets everybody else open shots.

Minus the martins, reno is a middle of the pack(pun) mwc team. Reno wont be nearly as good next season without them minus some big signings.

I actually recorded that game and watched it late.
WOW!

Caroline is a frickin Beast!
I really like Bittner but I thought a one point Caleb going to rip off Sam's arm, bitch slap him with it, and hand it back to him. That was just an unfair matchup.

I am completely jealous of Grimes. NV may not win the conf tourney b/c Grimes may be the best player in that tourney by then.

2 hours ago, qwelish said:

I watched the game all the way up until fresneck went down 10. Then I turned it off.

I thought the difference in the game was the Martins. Their size as ball handling guards who can shoot really kept the fresno defense off balance. You have to get so close to them to contest the 3, that they beat you into the lane for easy finishes. They got easier baskets than Fresnos scoring guards, because size helps them defend too.

I thought fresno did a decent job on Caroline, until the martins got going. It takes so much attention to stop them that it gets everybody else open shots.

Minus the martins, reno is a middle of the pack(pun) mwc team. Reno wont be nearly as good next season without them minus some big signings.

Minus 2 starters they are a middle of the pack team. Also,  they won't be good next year after losing 4 starters unless they have some good players coming in? 

Amazing analysis. 

3 hours ago, qwelish said:

Nevada will win the MWC next season. Our roster will have plenty there.

Not surprised you toothless hicks are totally underestimating how special the Martin twins are. 

Remember, reno was handled at reno by a below mediocre, 7th place UNLV team last season. With only one of the twins out. Caroline and the Martins are all fringe nba players. Their caliber probably wont be replaced. The rest of the roster is mediocre.

17 minutes ago, qwelish said:

Not surprised you toothless hicks are totally underestimating how special the Martin twins are. 

Remember, reno was handled at reno by a below mediocre, 7th place UNLV team last season. With only one of the twins out. Caroline and the Martins are all fringe nba players. Their caliber probably wont be replaced. The rest of the roster is mediocre.

If Mussleman returns next year, Nevada will definitely challenge for the MWC regular season championship.

1 minute ago, renoskier said:

If Mussleman returns next year, Nevada will definitely challenge for the MWC regular season championship.

Reno will be good. Muss is a good coach. They should compete for the mwc title. Top 10? No way.

The trio of the twins and Caroline are special.

Big guards are a huge advantage. I like watching them play. They are a problem.

17 hours ago, qwelish said:

Pretty sure you have surpassed ph12345 as UNLV's #1 poster.

Great point about the vegas loss last year...except you do know the Pack got blown out by a mediocre NM team this year? With both twins. It happens. 

And how did Nevada do in the MWC two years ago before the Martins?

Other than that, spot on.

2 minutes ago, PackNation said:

you do know the Pack for blown out by a mediocre NM team this year? With both twins. It happens. 

And how did Nevada do in the MAC two years ago before the Martins?

I watched that game. They made reno shoot 2s, while they hit 3s. Carolines midrange game was exposed a bit and they zoned the entire game to take away most of the easy stuff around the basket.

It was just a perfect storm. Lobos were red hot. reno came out flat and forced some stuff. 

Not sure how they did in the WAC, but was that the year they won the cbi?