Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

retrofade

Democrat Thunderdome - 2020 Democratic Candidate Thread

16 minutes ago, retrofade said:

There's something to that analogy for sure. I don't think any deathblows were struck on either night outside of Gabbard torching Tim Ryan. Biden can recover from the hits he took, Beto can certainly recover from Castro's disingenuous attack, and Pete can recover from the hits he took from Swalwell and Hickenlooper.

That being said, I just expect Biden to continue to take those hits and that he his record is so long than he won't be able to properly defend himself or continue to hide behind being Obama's VP. His team can be careful with him, but he's going to go into another one of these debates at the end of next month even if he avoids further scrutiny in the interim. I would be surprised if Biden still held a big lead by the time we get to September for the third debate, and I think the field will have shrunk to 10-12 candidates by then as well. 

When you've been in politics as long as Biden has you're going to have some things you wish you could take back. Hindsight and all. But I don't think he needs to apologise for his past voting. Times have changed the real question is has he. Time will show.

9 minutes ago, Akkula said:

She also has vulnerabilities and she will now have a target on her back.   She put a lot of minorities behind bars and she can be tied to the drug war and mass incarceration.   Biden started to go there but backed off. 

I look at that this way. That was her job. As prosecutor it wasn't her place to make new laws but follow existing laws.

3 minutes ago, rudolro said:

When you've been in politics as long as Biden has you're going to have some things you wish you could take back. Hindsight and all. But I don't think he needs to apologise for his past voting. Times have changed the real question is has he. Time will show.

I don't think that he should apologize for a lot of his record either. The problem lies in when he doubles down on things... he effectively doubled down on being opposed to bussing last night. When he was called out on seeming to be sympathetic towards segregationists, he doubled down and tried to claim that he was called by them was somehow just as offensive as them calling a black man "boy". He's not even attempting to reframe things and put things into perspective, he's just doubling down and I don't think that's going to be particularly effective over the long haul. 

5 minutes ago, sactowndog said:

Wouldn’t surprise me if the press played favorites.   

Here's some proof of his mic being off... and this was still relatively early on.

24 minutes ago, retrofade said:

Here's some proof of his mic being off... and this was still relatively early on.

That’s pretty bad.   NBC needs to come clean and give the man time.   He is one of the few with something interesting to say on a topic other than: immigration, abortion, funding education and the usual democratic pablum.

I am sure they keep the mics off for all the candidates not asked a question, but they are very quick to turn the mics on for the front runners when they interject. Maybe if Yang has been more (for lack of a better term) rude and pushy and just kept talking he may have forced them to cut his mic on, I don’t know. 

But the lack of questions directed at him was just dumb, considering he wasn’t bottom of the barrel as far as polling went. 

The media definitely plays favorites. Just like their negative bias toward Trump, they are biased as to who they want to win for the Dems and will give that candidate biased and better coverage. Right now I think their favorites are either Biden or Harris. 

Whats ironic is all the free coverage they gave Trump and it bit them in the ass. 

4 minutes ago, SalinasSpartan said:

I am sure they keep the mics off for all the candidates not asked a question, but they are very quick to turn the mics on for the front runners when they interject. Maybe if Yang has been more (for lack of a better term) rude and pushy and just kept talking he may have forced them to cut his mic on, I don’t know. 

But the lack of questions directed at him was just dumb, considering he wasn’t bottom of the barrel as far as polling went. 

Well multiple times you can see him try to interject but no sound.  Meanwhile, Harris was heard interjecting constantly.   Obviously MSNBC had their thumb on the scale.   Wouldn’t be surprised if the DNC was part of it.   Sadly, the Democratic Party has no new ideas and actively works to prevent any from being heard.   

3 minutes ago, sactowndog said:

Well multiple times you can see him try to interject but no sound.  Meanwhile, Harris was heard interjecting constantly.   Obviously MSNBC had their thumb on the scale.   Wouldn’t be surprised if the DNC was part of it.   Sadly, the Democratic Party has no new ideas and actively works to prevent any from being heard.   

Reminds me of when Kamala jumped in when race got brought up with something along the lines of “as the only black person here”. I mean she absolutely should have jumped in, but I was thinking to myself that Yang would definitely get a follow up question from the mods as the only other non-white person on the stage. But no. 

1 hour ago, retrofade said:

I don't think that he should apologize for a lot of his record either. The problem lies in when he doubles down on things... he effectively doubled down on being opposed to bussing last night. When he was called out on seeming to be sympathetic towards segregationists, he doubled down and tried to claim that he was called by them was somehow just as offensive as them calling a black man "boy". He's not even attempting to reframe things and put things into perspective, he's just doubling down and I don't think that's going to be particularly effective over the long haul. 

He could very easily make a very pragmatic argument that legislating is an art of compromise and in order to advance the ball you need to find the right package that advances even if you don't agree with every line item otherwise you end up with zero legislation like McConnell and Trump. 

Posted Image

1 hour ago, Akkula said:

She also has vulnerabilities and she will now have a target on her back.   She put a lot of minorities behind bars and she can be tied to the drug war and mass incarceration.   Biden started to go there but backed off. 

Biden is saving it.  He'll get the opportunity.

The World Needs More Cowboys!

7 minutes ago, Bob said:

The Democrat primary reminds me of 6th grade student government.. I'll give you free this or free that if you vote for me! lol. What a farce

Kudos to Sanders for admitting his freebies will raise taxes on the middle class.  He was the only one with the kahunas to admit that.

10 hours ago, SJSUMFA2013 said:

Lol there is not a single example of the constitution stopping McConnell from doing anything. 

Hard to believe you’ll be dead 40 years before me. 

He’s packed the courts with judges who will carry out his agenda. He has refused to bring every single house resolution up for a vote. Trump is his lapdog. He runs the country unchecked. I’d rather Democrats take the senate than the presidency at this point. McConnell is an existential threat to America. I’m not going to argue the point any further.

Put Assad or the leader of any other brutal regime in McConnells place and you’d get the same results. 

You are dumb 

2 hours ago, SalinasSpartan said:

I heard others interrupting all the time.  I didn't appear to me their mics were ever off.  It would be interesting to get some explanation from the network on this.

Also another thought, but I did find the debates interesting from a racial perspective. The black candidates got tons of questions and air time, the Latino candidate got a decent amount of questions, people were speaking Spanish to pander to the Latino vote, the black/white racial dynamic came up, immigration from Latin America was discussed quite a bit.... and the two candidates that didn’t fit in to any of those categories got like 3 personal questions combined and were largely ignored. Very fitting I suppose.