Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

retrofade

Democrat Thunderdome - 2020 Democratic Candidate Thread

4 minutes ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

What a mistake going to that debate was.

Yes and no. Bloomberg served as a foil for Bernie and Warren, and Biden came out relatively unscathed and gave one of his stronger performances. It didn't work out for Bloomberg in winning the nomination, but it did if he believes that Biden is the best option to beat Trump, which was his primary stated goal in getting into the race in the first place.

Just now, thelawlorfaithful said:

That is diabolically genius. Super PACS, you’re out. Failed billionaire presidential runs, they get the job done.

I'm honestly really impressed with the strategy there. He also has a data firm, Hawkfish, that we should all pay very close attention to lest they turn into the Cambridge Analytica of the 2020 election.

I'm extremely dissapointed that our choices are again 3 old white guys.

I can't see any of them running in 2024 so VP picks will I hope be younger and more diverse. And not science deniers....

One of the Final Five..........

Elizabeth Warren’s campaign manager Roger Lau sent a frank email to staffers this morning saying the campaign missed its goals on Super Tuesday and that the "decision is in her hands" about what to next.

“Last night, we fell well short of viability goals and projections, and we are disappointed in the results,” Lau wrote in an email obtained by POLITICO, adding that “we are obviously disappointed.”

Another aide said Warren was spending Wednesday with her team to “assess the path forward.” Lau wrote that “[t]his decision is in her hands, and it’s important that she has the time and space to consider what comes next.”

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/03/04/warren-considers-ending-campaign-120948

Just now, mysfit said:

I can't see any of them running in 2024 so VP picks will I hope be younger and more diverse. And not science deniers....

I don't really have a problem with old presidential candidates. The presidency is the capstone of your life, not where you should be in your 40s. The demographics of the country 70 years ago was much less diverse so the relative lack of diversity in the race is more indicative of just who was being born in America in the '40s than anything else. 

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

8 minutes ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

That is diabolically genius. Super PACS, you’re out. Failed billionaire presidential runs, they get the job done.

I wonder how it would play if Trump benefitted from this type of scenario?

24 minutes ago, retrofade said:

The Bernie Bros on Twitter and reddit are losing their damned minds over Biden winning as many delegates as he did and now Bloomberg endorsing Biden. Some of them are even deluding themselves into believing that Biden getting an endorsement from a billionaire means that Bernie will win.

:lol:

Links please and thank you :Clapping:

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

3 minutes ago, BYUcougfan said:

It’ll be too late for him, but I can see this being the model going forward. It’s not like you can legislate non-compete clauses for opposing campaigns. If a rich guy wants to set up a network of political operatives that pays them through an election, that’s between them and their employees.

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

5 minutes ago, BYUcougfan said:

It would be fair play as long as campaign finance laws were adhered to. 

24 minutes ago, mysfit said:

Interesting op-ed in today's L.A. Times by a religion professor at Boston College. Self professed Never Trumper who says he would be fine with either Bernie or Biden winning in November. Because of their ages, the tiebreaker for him is the chances of the two being able to serve even one full term. Having obtained suggested websites from a colleague in medicine, he won't be supporting Sanders. Basically, Bernie would be 79 by inauguration day and given how recently he had a heart attack, the odds of Sanders living to be 83 are statistically only about 1 in 3.

Biden? It's humorous how Republicans who criticize his mental acuity ignore the fact that Reagan suffered from dementia all through his second term in office.

Biden won't say it but he isn't going to run for reelection and Stacey Abrams is just 46. One more reason to think she'd make a great choice for VP.

Boom goes the dynamite.

7 minutes ago, retrofade said:

It would be fair play as long as campaign finance laws were adhered to. 

I was not really talking about whether it is legal or not.  Just what the reaction would be.  I could totally see you linking an article by some HuffPo writer talking about how unfair it is and MSNBC going ballistic with how sketchy Trump is.

12 minutes ago, BYUcougfan said:

I was not really talking about whether it is legal or not.  Just what the reaction would be.  I could totally see you linking an article by some HuffPo writer talking about how unfair it is and MSNBC going ballistic with how sketchy Trump is.

I'm talking about my own perspective in your hypothetical situation. 

15 minutes ago, SleepingGiantFan said:

Biden? It's humorous how Republicans who criticize his mental acuity ignore the fact that Reagan suffered from dementia all through his second term in office.

Not only that, but they support Trump, who on an almost daily basis makes people question his mental acuity. 

15 minutes ago, SleepingGiantFan said:

Biden won't say it but he isn't going to run for reelection and Stacey Abrams is just 46. One more reason to think she'd make a great choice for VP.

I'm really not sold on Abrams... and I don't know what the obsession with her is. I think she's going to stay focused on her anti-voter suppression efforts.

16 minutes ago, SleepingGiantFan said:

Interesting op-ed in today's L.A. Times by a religion professor at Boston College. Self professed Never Trumper who says he would be fine with either Bernie or Biden winning in November. Because of their ages, the tiebreaker for him is the chances of the two being able to serve even one full term. Having obtained suggested websites from a colleague in medicine, he won't be supporting Sanders. Basically, Bernie would be 79 by inauguration day and given how recently he had a heart attack, the odds of Sanders living to be 83 are statistically only about 1 in 3.

What the hell is great about Stacey Abrams?

This Abrams obsession is bizarre. She couldn't even win her own state-wide race. Yet, she'll be a boon to the ticket. Yeah. Ok. Why not Andrew Gillum if not her? He's black and lost a state-wide race too. 

12 minutes ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

What the hell is great about Stacey Abrams?

You've forgotten that, to me, this election is all about one thing only: getting the Worst.President.Ever out of the White House.

Given how African Americans have saved Biden's candidacy, he's obligated to name one as his running mate. She also checks the gender box which will help soothe the butt hurt of Warren supporters and get them to turn out. She's also plenty bright.

As for losing to Brian Kemp, really? The guy was Georgia's secretary of state and therefore in charge of the election, which he won with a whopping 50.2% of the vote. Maybe no shenanigans occurred but that was a blatant conflict of interest. At least those of us who aren't staunch Republicans can see that it was.

Boom goes the dynamite.