Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

retrofade

Democrat Thunderdome - 2020 Democratic Candidate Thread

16 hours ago, TheSanDiegan said:

One of our advisory board members went to high school with Stephen Miller, and he says he was absolutely the same then as he is now... he told me about how Miller once held a speech where he claimed it was the students' right to throw litter on the ground because that's what the janitors were there for. :blink:

Holy shite. You just can’t make this up. The South Bend, IN mayor that no one knows about has decided to run for president to be the first openly gay president. What’s his name? Here’s the kicker.....It can be pronounced Peter Booty-Gig. It’s spelled Peter Buttigieg. So Mr. Mayor, doing a little moonlighting for extra dough, aren’t we. It looks like he mostly goes by Pete, but Peter is the same name and makes it funnier. Or you say Peter Butt-igieg. 

Reminds me of the guy than ran for office in Vegas years ago as Dick Rider. He could’ve gone by Richard Rider, but no, he didn’t mind riding out the storm of funny publicity. 

https://www.wsj.com/articles/indiana-mayor-pete-buttigieg-in-long-shot-bid-to-be-first-openly-gay-president-11548241202

😂🤣😂🤣

kat.jpg

On 1/13/2019 at 4:50 PM, SleepingGiantsFan said:

I can hardly think of an institution within the U.S. more deserving of being pissed on than the Catholic Church.

Not MEMBERS of the Church, its hypocritical hierarchy and THAT'S what has been criticized.

Good luck with pissing on the Catholic Church and not its' members.

The World Needs More Cowboys!

18 hours ago, Nevada Convert said:

Ahhhh....I hurted retro-snowflake’s feelings again. I so sorry!  Some of the liberal guys here have no sense of humor at all. @retrofade

I mean it was a pun, all of which are bad enough to deserve a facepalm

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

On 1/14/2019 at 1:48 PM, mugtang said:

I thought Gillibrand was a good appointment to replace Hillary.  She was definitely a centrist holding certain conservative positions - marriage, guns, etc.

She swung hard to the left after her appointment, pretty much falling in lock step with the Dems in power, following the campaign dollars in NYC.

This happens to almost all of the centrists that get elected.

16 minutes ago, pokebball said:

How would it be different from pissing on the government but not the people?

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

1 minute ago, pokebball said:

The smaller the tribe gets, the harder it would be, in my opinion.

The catholic church is bigger than most governments. 

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

Just now, pokebball said:

Not in the US

Well, most governments in the US are municipal, so yes in the US. But even assuming you are right, the Catholic church is a very large and convoluted bureaucracy. So I think it's very easy to piss on the church and not the people in it. 

Just now, smltwnrckr said:

Well, most governments in the US are municipal, so yes in the US. But even assuming you are right, the Catholic church is a very large and convoluted bureaucracy. So I think it's very easy to piss on the church and not the people in it. 

We can disagree, that's cool

1 minute ago, pokebball said:

Yes, we can. You'll be disagreeing with a lot of Catholics, too.

34 minutes ago, pokebball said:

"The catholic church" is pretty diverse in just its own bureaucratic organization. I mean, it was the church that took sexual predators and gave them a safe haven with free booze and a retirement into the sunset on my campus as an undergrad, it was the same church that organized that school, that focused so heavily on community service and that made sure that empathy, togetherness, and critical thinking were taught in every class. 

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

42 minutes ago, pokebball said:

I'm not sure what you mean by that so will just say this. My PT secretary is a staunch Catholic who never misses mass yet she "pisses" on the church hierarchy regularly. My PT secretary before her was similarly a staunch Catholic and she often criticized the church hierarchy as well. Both women are salt of the earth people who have stuck with the church through thick and thin but that doesn't mean they excuse its failings.

Boom goes the dynamite.

19 minutes ago, smltwnrckr said:

I'm pretty sure a lot of Catholics would gladly join the "piss party" these days.

18 minutes ago, pokebball said: