Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

retrofade

Democrat Thunderdome - 2020 Democratic Candidate Thread

Some are saying Nevada's own Cortez-Masto could be Biden's VP pick however I think it might behoove joe to pick from a more battleground-ie state. NV looks pretty dang blue right now.

2 minutes ago, toonkee said:

Some are saying Nevada's own Cortez-Masto could be Biden's VP pick however I think it might behoove joe to pick from a more battleground-ie state. NV looks pretty dang blue right now.

But she could help get out the Latino vote for Biden. 

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

12 minutes ago, SleepingGiantFan said:

You've forgotten that, to me, this election is all about one thing only: getting the Worst.President.Ever out of the White House.

Given how African Americans have saved Biden's candidacy, he's obligated to name one as his running mate. She also checks the gender box which will help soothe the butt hurt of Warren supporters and get them to turn out. She's also plenty bright.

As for losing to Brian Kemp, really? The guy was Georgia's secretary of state and therefore in charge of the election, which he won with a whopping 50.2% of the vote. Maybe no shenanigans occurred but that was a blatant conflict of interest. At least those of us who aren't staunch Republicans can see that it was.

You’re a good guy. So I hope you don’t take this personally, because this line of thinking of “representation” means black support is prevalent across all political analysis. I think it’s bunk. Not only that, it’s patronizing as all hell.

Black democratic voters had options that would ostensibly “represent” them. They rejected them outright, because they were phonies. Corey Booker couldn’t both be  the Spartacus woke progressive and the happy, aspirational warrior. They saw him as corny. Kamala Harris was an “i’ll whoop your ass if you step out of line, boy” cop, but then pretended to be all things to everyone. Black voters recognized they were trying to steal from Bernie and Warren’s movements, and rejected them for being fake to appeal to commie college kids and rich white liberals. You know who they stuck by? The old, incoherent white guy, who when everybody was trying to glom onto Bernie’s movement, took the incoming fire and had the back of Barack Obama, a person they genuinely like. He had his friends back, and that mattered a helluva lot more than sex or skin pigmentation.

Maybe Abrams can be that kind of figure, but there is nothing that suggests black voters will support her just because she looks like them. Besides, Obama is going to deliver a crushing speech at the convention and bring the house down. Black voters were the first on the Biden train, it’s everybody else that’s coming late to the party.

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

Just now, thelawlorfaithful said:

You’re a good guy. So I hope you don’t take this personally, because this line of thinking of “representation” means black support is prevalent across all political analysis. I think it’s bunk. Not only that, it’s patronizing as all hell.

Black democratic voters had options that would ostensibly “represent” them. They rejected them outright, because they were phonies. Corey Booker couldn’t both be  the Spartacus woke progressive and the happy, aspirational warrior. They saw him as corny. Kamala Harris was an “i’ll whoop your ass if you step out of line, boy” cop, but then pretended to be all things to everyone. Black voters recognized they were trying to steal from Bernie and Warren’s movements, and rejected them for being fake to appeal to commie college kids and rich white liberals. You know who they stuck by? The old, incoherent white guy, who when everybody was trying to glom onto Bernie’s movement, took the incoming fire and had the back of Barack Obama, a person they genuinely like. He had his friends back, and that mattered a helluva lot more than sex or skin pigmentation.

Maybe Abrams can be that kind of figure, but there is nothing that suggests black voters will support her just because she looks like them. Besides, Obama is going to deliver a crushing speech at the convention and bring the house down. Black voters were the first on the Biden train, it’s everybody else that’s coming late to the party.

Maybe someone they associate with Obama?

Like....

michelle obama ew GIF

45 minutes ago, BYUcougfan said:

Lunging Vegans would be a great name for a band.

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

13 minutes ago, toonkee said:

Maybe someone they associate with Obama?

Like....

michelle obama ew GIF

Getting old really sucks. It brings to mind an old Chris Rock bit where he said, and I’m paraphrasing and clearly less funny, “Colin Powell should be Bob Dole’s VP? Colin Powell could beat Bob Dole!”

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

31 minutes ago, toonkee said:

Nevada is small potatoes. He needs somebody that can win in the Midwest or maybe Florida.

27 minutes ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

This is an excellent analysis.

1 hour ago, mysfit said:

I'm extremely dissapointed that our choices are again 3 old white guys.

I can't see any of them running in 2024 so VP picks will I hope be younger and more diverse. And not science deniers....

Why do you care that they are white? Black people have overwhelmingly supported Biden over black candidates throughout this primary. Latinos have overwhelmingly supported Sanders even when a Latino candidate was in the race. Are you saying they should just shut up and their opinions don’t matter because some woke white people want diversity on the stage? 

1 hour ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

Well put.

Boom goes the dynamite.

39 minutes ago, SalinasSpartan said:

Why do you care that they are white? Black people have overwhelmingly supported Biden over black candidates throughout this primary. Latinos have overwhelmingly supported Sanders even when a Latino candidate was in the race. Are you saying they should just shut up and their opinions don’t matter because some woke white people want diversity on the stage? 

I'm hoping that Biden's surge puts the brakes on the demographic box-checking. I want a female president in my lifetime, if for no other reason it would show my daughter that she could achieve anything. But I'm not going to vote for a candidate just because she is a woman. 

2 minutes ago, SharkTanked said:

Yeah I think Klobuchar or Pete are the most likely.

Not Pete, Amy. She knows where the bodies in Washington are buried.