Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

retrofade

Democrat Thunderdome - 2020 Democratic Candidate Thread

21 hours ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

The oppo on Bloomberg being all the things Democrat’s stand against unequivocally is extensive. That’s why he’s carpet bombing the airwaves, driving up the price to minimize what the other campaigns can buy, and making his run about stopping Bernie and Trump, not about himself.

That shouldn't be discounted.

As Barr and others have begun warning, Mr. Grumpy sure isn't helping himself with all the tweeting. And as somebody who loves to laugh at our fake president, I hope he keeps claiming that Bloomberg is 5'4" tall as the guy is very sensitive about his height. Bloomberg also VERY rich. As in having an estimated 30-60 times the wealth of Trump. As in hella money to donate to the Democratic nominee to try to keep Mr. Grumpy from being reelected. Yay Trump! :USFlag:

Boom goes the dynamite.

2 hours ago, SleepingGiantFan said:

Nate Silver said this morning that right now, there's a 36% chance of a brokered convention but that figure will rise if things get further muddled in Nevada: https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/do-you-buy-that-a-contested-convention-is-a-real-possibility/?ex_cid=trump-approval

Sure seems like that's exactly what's going to happen.

I think that estimate is way high.  I read over the weekend that less than 4% of the delegates will be decided before Super Tuesday.  Momentum matters, but I think these early mixed results are just filler for the 24 hour new cycle.  If Super Tuesday delivers this same kind of mixed results, then the Democrats are in trouble.

15 minutes ago, BYUcougfan said:

I think that estimate is way high.  I read over the weekend that less than 4% of the delegates will be decided before Super Tuesday.  Momentum matters, but I think these early mixed results are just filler for the 24 hour new cycle.  If Super Tuesday delivers this same kind of mixed results, then the Democrats are in trouble.

I think that estimate is low. The Democrats don’t do win or go home primaries. There are delegates to be had if your campaign can maintain a pulse. It certainly looks as of now there are enough to deny Sanders an outright majority, and maybe by a long shot. Whether or not his hypothetical majority would be rejected at convention is something else (I’m dubious). But because delegates are awarded proportionally, there is at least still a glimmer for most of the candidates that they can take the Rubio path and third place their way to the nomination.

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

I used to be republican, but I'm pretty much in the "anyone but Trump" camp.  I actually like Bloomberg a bit because he's fairly moderate.  Sanders is totally unrealistic and could very well hand this election to Trump by fracturing the party.

7 minutes ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

I think that estimate is low. The Democrats don’t do win or go home primaries. There are delegates to be had if your campaign can maintain a pulse. It certainly looks as of now there are enough to deny Sanders an outright majority, and maybe by a long shot. Whether or not his hypothetical majority would be rejected at convention is something else (I’m dubious). But because delegates are awarded proportionally, there is at least still a glimmer for most of the candidates that they can take the Rubio path and third place their way to the nomination.

Maybe.  Most people on this board were not born yet when it happened the last time (1952).

24 minutes ago, BYUcougfan said:

Don't you mean way LOW? If so, I agree. That is, unless after Super Tuesday, Biden and Warren withdraw and both throw their support behind Mayor Pete or Klobuchar. Can't see them supporting Bloomberg and he isn't going to get out quickly but if everybody starts coalescing behind somebody besides Bernie, the Dems can still win.

Boom goes the dynamite.

14 minutes ago, SleepingGiantFan said:

Don't you mean way LOW? If so, I agree. That is, unless after Super Tuesday, Biden and Warren withdraw and both throw their support behind Mayor Pete or Klobuchar. Can't see them supporting Bloomberg and he isn't going to get out quickly but if everybody starts coalescing behind somebody besides Bernie, the Dems can still win.

I think it is high.  I don't think there is a 1 in 3 chance that there will be brokered convention....at this point.  If Super Tuesday delivers mixed results, then I could believe it to be a real possibility.

23 minutes ago, SleepingGiantFan said:

Warren has pulled the pin and is ready to hug Bloomberg tomorrow night.

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

21 minutes ago, renoskier said:

I don't get this. Did they bend the rules for Bloomberg?

Yes.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.politico.com/amp/news/2020/01/31/dnc-shifts-debate-requirements-opening-door-for-bloomberg-110017

The Democratic National Committee is drastically revising its criteria to participate in primary debates after New Hampshire, doubling the polling threshold and eliminating the individual donor requirement, which could pave the way for former New York City Mayor Mike Bloomberg to make the stage beginning in mid-February.

Candidates will need to earn at least 10 percent in four polls released from Jan. 15 to Feb. 18, or 12 percent in two polls conducted in Nevada or South Carolina, in order to participate in the Feb. 19 debate in Las Vegas. Any candidate who earns at least one delegate to the national convention in either the Iowa caucuses or New Hampshire primary will also qualify for the Nevada debate...

...The new rules do, however, open the door for Bloomberg to participate after New Hampshire. Previously, the donor threshold had proved an insurmountable barrier for Bloomberg, who did not want to alter his promise to never accept campaign contributions — which he touts in promoting what he says is his independence from special interests...

...“To now change the rules in the middle of the game to accommodate Mike Bloomberg, who is trying to buy his way into the Democratic nomination, is wrong,” Jeff Weaver, a senior adviser to Sanders, told POLITICO as the rules were being announced.

Weaver pointed to other current and past candidates like Cory Booker, Yang and Julián Castro, who dropped off the stage because they couldn’t meet the minimum polling threshold. 

“Now, suddenly because Mr. Bloomberg couldn’t satisfy one of the prongs, we see it get changed?” Weaver said. “That’s the definition of a rigged system where the rich can buy their way in.”

4 minutes ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

Yes.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.politico.com/amp/news/2020/01/31/dnc-shifts-debate-requirements-opening-door-for-bloomberg-110017

The Democratic National Committee is drastically revising its criteria to participate in primary debates after New Hampshire, doubling the polling threshold and eliminating the individual donor requirement, which could pave the way for former New York City Mayor Mike Bloomberg to make the stage beginning in mid-February.

Candidates will need to earn at least 10 percent in four polls released from Jan. 15 to Feb. 18, or 12 percent in two polls conducted in Nevada or South Carolina, in order to participate in the Feb. 19 debate in Las Vegas. Any candidate who earns at least one delegate to the national convention in either the Iowa caucuses or New Hampshire primary will also qualify for the Nevada debate...

...The new rules do, however, open the door for Bloomberg to participate after New Hampshire. Previously, the donor threshold had proved an insurmountable barrier for Bloomberg, who did not want to alter his promise to never accept campaign contributions — which he touts in promoting what he says is his independence from special interests...

...“To now change the rules in the middle of the game to accommodate Mike Bloomberg, who is trying to buy his way into the Democratic nomination, is wrong,” Jeff Weaver, a senior adviser to Sanders, told POLITICO as the rules were being announced.

Weaver pointed to other current and past candidates like Cory Booker, Yang and Julián Castro, who dropped off the stage because they couldn’t meet the minimum polling threshold. 

“Now, suddenly because Mr. Bloomberg couldn’t satisfy one of the prongs, we see it get changed?” Weaver said. “That’s the definition of a rigged system where the rich can buy their way in.”

How did Steyer make it on the stage last time? Did he meet the donor threshold?

3 minutes ago, renoskier said:

How did Steyer make it on the stage last time? Did he meet the donor threshold?

Steyer is putting a lot of his money into the race but is still accepting donations. Bloomberg is paying for it all himself. 

It was a silly threshold in my mind, but changing it on the fly seems sillier. It’s their party though, they can 180 if they want to.

3 hours ago, sebasour said:

Latest poll from ABC and WaPo has Bernie up 15 points. 

It's starting to become inevitable.

Bernie vs. Trump. Never thought I'd long for the days of Hillary. God help us all.

4 hours ago, sebasour said:

Latest poll from ABC and WaPo has Bernie up 15 points. 

It's starting to become inevitable.

59 minutes ago, NVGiant said:

Bernie vs. Trump. Never thought I'd long for the days of Hillary. God help us all.

49 minutes ago, alum93 said:

Depressing...  

Cheer up fellas. It could always get worse. And it will.