Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

retrofade

Democrat Thunderdome - 2020 Democratic Candidate Thread

ABC has set the rules for the third debate...

The upcoming third Democratic primary debate, hosted by ABC News in partnership with Univision and slated for Sept. 12 and 13 in Houston, will feature four moderators, ABC News announced Wednesday.

Chief Anchor George Stephanopoulos, "World News Tonight" Anchor David Muir, ABC News Correspondent Linsey Davis and Univision Anchor Jorge Ramos will moderate the debate on Thursday and, if necessary, Friday.
--------

If 10 or fewer candidates are certified by the Democratic National Committee to participate, the debate will take place on one night.

If more than 10 candidates qualify under the rules, the debate will take place over two nights. For the two-night scenario, ABC News in accordance with the DNC will hold a selection event on Aug. 29 to randomly assign the candidates to a night. The format of the debate will be one minute and 15 seconds for direct responses to questions and 45 seconds for rebuttals.

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/abc-news-announces-details-democratic-primary-debate/story?id=65077321

So if one more candidate qualifies, which would likely be Steyer, then the debate will be split across two nights with smaller groups.

Rep. Seth Moulton, D-Mass., is dropping out of the 2020 presidential race.

“I think it’s evident that this is now a three-way race between Biden, Warren and Sanders, and really it’s a debate about how far left the party should go,” he told The New York Times, which said he would formally announce his decision in a speech Friday. NBC News confirmed Moulton’s decision.

Moulton was one of the few candidates not to make the debate stages in June and July. He will run for reelection to the House.

Moulton joined the Democratic primary field in April, touting his youth and military experience. While the Iraq war veteran called for boosting military spending, he also vowed to cut funds for “massive weapons programs” and invest in high tech options.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/08/23/democrat-seth-moulton-drops-out-of-the-2020-white-house-race.html

On 8/21/2019 at 6:31 PM, renoskier said:

I'm not sure a large majority of cops really give a shit about legal weed.

I'm sure that's true of big cities in blue states like Nevada and California but I'll bet their attitude about it is still pretty provincial elsewhere.

Boom goes the dynamite.

Just now, Orange said:

https://www.politico.com/story/2019/08/26/bernie-sanders-elizabeth-warren-joe-biden-poll-1475440

Poll: Bernie, Warren surge to tie Biden atop Democratic field

And the trend is not in Uncle Joe's favor.

We should note that the sample size was < 300 people, with a +/- 5.7% MoE. You are correct that the trend is not moving in Biden's favor though.... and that goes along with some reports I've heard from the ground in Iowa as well. 

I was rereading Hunter Thompson's "Fear and Loathing on the Campaign Trail '72" last night.  The conversations among democrats in 47 years haven't changed much.  That, or history is on a half-century repeat cycle.  Thompson noted that putting up another milquetoast moderate like Humphrey would result in another beating for Dems.  But then he rightly predicted that the youth vote coming up can't be counted on, and McGovern could very well be destroyed.

There's nothing new under the sun.

Still, I feel 2020 is diifferent, and young people are more engaged.  We need at least one Sanders/Warren type on the ticket.

More indications of Biden's slide down the polls... much less dramatic than in the Monmouth one, but still there. This is also showing the trend out of most polls where Buttigieg is starting to slip behind a partially resurgent Beto and even Booker.

Talk about a milquetoast, that's Mayor Pete for whom I've never understood the affinity.

A couple months ago I was very pleased with Biden being in the race but although the number of stupid things he says is only 10% that of Donald Trump, his gaffes are becoming quite embarrassing for such a front runner.

The thought of Sanders or Warren getting the nomination is downright depressing. Each is too old and too far-left.

Maybe the party can somehow mold Harris, Booker and O'Rourke into a single person and then they'll have something good.

Boom goes the dynamite.

On 8/21/2019 at 6:31 PM, renoskier said:

I'm not sure a large majority of cops really give a shit about legal weed.

Every sheriff's deputy in my county is anti-weed, made only worse by the Sheriff himself being an ignorant, reefer-madness zealot.  I'd bet a majority of cops are against it, nationwide, en masse.

58 minutes ago, SleepingGiantFan said:

Talk about a milquetoast, that's Mayor Pete for whom I've never understood the affinity.

A couple months ago I was very pleased with Biden being in the race but although the number of stupid things he says is only 10% that of Donald Trump, his gaffes are becoming quite embarrassing for such a front runner.

The thought of Sanders or Warren getting the nomination is downright depressing. Each is too old and too far-left.

Maybe the party can somehow mold Harris, Booker and O'Rourke into a single person and then they'll have something good.

I can think of things to complain about concerning Warren, but age isn't really one of them.  She's incredibly sharp, she's 3 years younger than Trump, and about 7 years younger than Biden, and she's a woman.  They live longer, and usually keep their wits about them longer than the average man.

25 minutes ago, Orange said:

I can think of things to complain about concerning Warren, but age isn't really one of them.  She's incredibly sharp, she's 3 years younger than Trump, and about 7 years younger than Biden, and she's a woman.  They live longer, and usually keep their wits about them longer than the average man.

The Native American thing wasn't too bright but I get your point.

As far as Trump's brain is concerned, here's an interesting take: https://www.latimes.com/opinion/story/2019-08-26/president-donald-trump-behavior-mueller-powell

And here's MY take on the influence of never-Trump Republicans like Goldberg, George Will, Ben Shapiro, Max Boot, Bill Kristol, Romney, Glenn Beck, Erick Erickson and Jennifer Rubin. I don't think Trump's base cares at all what those people say because they're perceived to be "intellectuals" and the average uninformed Trump diehard - and that's the majority of his staunch supporters - detests highly educated people like that. Never mind that, like me, Bill Maher and a number of others left of center, they strongly object to the way political correctness now dominates academia.

Boom goes the dynamite.