Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

retrofade

Democrat Thunderdome - 2020 Democratic Candidate Thread

1 minute ago, bluerules009 said:

There was no corroborating evidence. Yet there were plenty willing to act as if there was.

Correct. Of course had roles been reversed, Republican elected officials would have acted exactly the same as did the Democrats.

Boom goes the dynamite.

Just now, SleepingGiantsFan said:

Correct. Of course had roles been reversed, Republican elected officials would have acted exactly the same as did the Democrats.

Maybe, yet it hasn't happened that way and there have been several chances for republicans to do that to some pretty horrible supreme court nominees under Obama.

While democrats have attacked the character of Bork, Kavanagh, Thomas, not to mention democrats have been using Trump tactics politically for decades.

When Obama used the same tactics on Romney that Trump used against Hillary, we didn't hear a peep from your side.

We have a new entrant...

Sen. Cory Booker, a New Jersey Democrat who rose to prominence as Newark's charismatic and ambitious mayor, announced Friday that he is running for president.

Booker chose the first day of Black History Month to launch his campaign, timing that nods to Booker's own heritage and suggests he will put it at the center of his pitch to voters.

"The history of our nation is defined by collective action; by interwoven destinies of slaves and abolitionists; of those born here and those who chose America as home; of those who took up arms to defend our country, and those who linked arms to challenge and change it," Booker narrates in a video released on Friday morning, which features him walking through his Newark neighborhood.

"I'm Cory Booker and I'm running for president of the United States of America," he says in the video.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/02/01/politics/cory-booker-announces-presidential-run-2020/index.html

Democratic Sen. Amy Klobuchar will hold an event in Minnesota on Sunday to announce whether she will run for president, she said Tuesday night, inching closer to a possible campaign launch.

Klobuchar told MSNBC that she will announce her decision on Sunday in Minneapolis’ Boom Island Park — “as in, Boom Island, ‘drop the mic,’” she said.

“It’s going to be a little cold, 20 degrees,” Klobuchar said, speaking after President Donald Trump's State of the Union address. “Wear warm clothes. Maybe have, you know, little heat-warmers with you, but then you’ll find out my decision.”

Klobuchar immediately posted on Twitter: “I’m making a big announcement on Sunday. Join me there,” directing users to RSVP on her website.

https://www.politico.com/story/2019/02/05/amy-klobuchar-announce-2020-1149340

I think it's probably safe to say that she's going to be running.

Warren just needs to quit the race already.

Warren filled out the card by hand in neat blue ink and signed it. Dated April 1986, it is the first document to surface showing Warren making the claim in her own handwriting. Her office didn’t dispute its authenticity.

For Warren, putting this chapter behind her is key to calming the nerves of Democrats who want a nominee who can move beyond any problems in their past and present a strong challenge to President Trump.

For the Democratic electorate, roiled by Trump’s racially insensitive comments, it’s become more important for a Democratic standard-bearer to show an understanding of issues related to race and identity.

nLqgLxg.png

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/elizabeth-warren-apologizes-for-calling-herself-native-american/2019/02/05/1627df76-2962-11e9-984d-9b8fba003e81_story.html?utm_term=.1c4c6571e363

:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

4 hours ago, retrofade said:

:rotflmfao: God I want to know so bad what Hillary’s Network is doing behind the scenes. Not saying came to light because of it, but I wish I could invest so much in Gillabrand getting shanked by the press at the worst possible moment. She’s gonna get the Moe Green special.

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

And Klobuchar gets some oppo dropped on her. Maybe she ain’t so midwestern nice.

https://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_5c5a1cb1e4b0871047588649/amp?j7=&__twitter_impression=true

At least three people have withdrawn from consideration to lead Sen. Amy Klobuchar’s nascent 2020 presidential campaign — and done so in part because of the Minnesota Democrat’s history of mistreating her staff, HuffPost has learned.

Klobuchar, who plans to make an announcement about a potential presidential bid on Sunday in Minneapolis, has spent the past several months positioning herself to run for president. She’s beloved in her state as a smart, funny and personable lawmaker and has gained national attention for her lines of questioning at high-profile hearings.

But some former Klobuchar staffers, all of whom spoke to HuffPost on condition of anonymity, describe Klobuchar as habitually demeaning and prone to bursts of cruelty that make it difficult to work in her office for long. 

It is common for staff to wake up to multiple emails from Klobuchar characterizing one’s work as “the worst” briefing or press release she’d seen in her decades of public service, according to two former aides and emails seen by HuffPost.

Although some staffers grew inured to her constant put-downs (“It’s always ‘the worst,’” one said sarcastically, “‘It was ‘the worst’ one two weeks ago”), others found it grinding and demoralizing. Adding to the humiliation, Klobuchar often cc’d large groups of staffers who weren’t working on the topic at hand, giving the emails the effect of a public flogging.

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

20 minutes ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

And Klobuchar gets some oppo dropped on her. Maybe she ain’t so midwestern nice.

https://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_5c5a1cb1e4b0871047588649/amp?j7=&__twitter_impression=true

At least three people have withdrawn from consideration to lead Sen. Amy Klobuchar’s nascent 2020 presidential campaign — and done so in part because of the Minnesota Democrat’s history of mistreating her staff, HuffPost has learned.

Klobuchar, who plans to make an announcement about a potential presidential bid on Sunday in Minneapolis, has spent the past several months positioning herself to run for president. She’s beloved in her state as a smart, funny and personable lawmaker and has gained national attention for her lines of questioning at high-profile hearings.

But some former Klobuchar staffers, all of whom spoke to HuffPost on condition of anonymity, describe Klobuchar as habitually demeaning and prone to bursts of cruelty that make it difficult to work in her office for long. 

It is common for staff to wake up to multiple emails from Klobuchar characterizing one’s work as “the worst” briefing or press release she’d seen in her decades of public service, according to two former aides and emails seen by HuffPost.

Although some staffers grew inured to her constant put-downs (“It’s always ‘the worst,’” one said sarcastically, “‘It was ‘the worst’ one two weeks ago”), others found it grinding and demoralizing. Adding to the humiliation, Klobuchar often cc’d large groups of staffers who weren’t working on the topic at hand, giving the emails the effect of a public flogging.

Goddamn pansy millennial staffers. They're the worst

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

Amy Klobuchar is in now.

On a cold February day in Minneapolis on the mighty Mississippi River, with thousands of friends and supporters at my side I announced that I’m running for President of the United States. As I said that day in our nation’s heartland, we must heal the heart of our democracy and renew our commitment to the common good.

I’m running because I believe we can be a nation governed not by chaos — but from opportunity.
The kind of opportunity my grandpa — who worked 1500 feet underground in the mines in Northern Minnesota — gave my family when he saved money in a coffee can in the basement to send my dad to college. The kind of opportunity my mom, a school teacher and a proud union member, gave me when she taught me to live with purpose. The kind of opportunity my dad, a newspaperman, gave me to always look for life’s adventures and never shy away from adversity.

I’m running because we’re tired of divisive politics. 
We’re fed up with the shutdowns and the showdowns, the gridlock and the grandstanding. Today, we say enough is enough.

I’m running because we need to rise to the occasion and meet the challenges of our day. 
For too long leaders in Washington have sat on the sidelines while others try to figure out what to do about our changing economy and its impact on our lives, what to do about the disruptive nature of new technologies, income inequality, the political and geographic divides, the changing climate, the tumult in our world. Let’s stop seeing those obstacles as obstacles on our path. Let’s see those obstacles asour path.

I’m asking you to join us on this campaign. It’s a homegrown one. I don’t have a political machine. I don’t come from money. But what I do have is this: I have grit, I have family, I have friends, and I have all of you. All of you who are willing to stand up and say that people matter.

Let’s get to work.

https://www.amyklobuchar.com/

On 2/10/2019 at 5:33 PM, retrofade said:

Booker
Buttigieg
Castro
Delaney
Gabbard
Gillibrand
Harris
Klobuchar
Warren

Time to add Bernie to that list...

Bernie Sanders is campaigning for president again, officially entering the crowded 2020 Democratic presidential field on Tuesday with a vow to finish what he started in his last race for the White House.

"Together, you and I and our 2016 campaign began the political revolution. Now, it is time to complete that revolution and implement the vision that we fought for," Sanders said in an email to supporters and a video announcing his candidacy.

The 77-year-old Vermont independent senator, who started his political career as a gadfly perennial candidate, remains a pacesetter of progressive politics in America, helping to craft a liberal agenda that includes everything from Medicare for All to a $15 minimum wage to free college tuition.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/2020-election/bernie-sanders-enters-2020-presidential-race-complete-revolution-n972906

4 hours ago, retrofade said:

I would never vote for the guy because I just don't agree with him, but at least I think he actually believes what he is saying.  I think he generally wants to help people.  Unlike the vast majority of these jokers that will say and promise any multitude of free things to buy votes.

2 minutes ago, BYUcougfan said:

I would never vote for the guy because I just don't agree with him, but at least I think he actually believes what he is saying.  I think he generally wants to help people.  Unlike the vast majority of these jokers that will say and promise any multitude of free things to buy votes.

Character, right?

The World Needs More Cowboys!

35 minutes ago, CV147 said:

After reading about her town hall, I like Klobuchar the best.

But I still think Kamala wins the Primary.

I like Klobuchar too. I’d consider voting for her in the general election. 

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

Washington state Gov. Jay Inslee announced Friday that he is running for President, launching a bid in which he intends to make combating climate change the central rationale for his campaign.

Inslee announced the bid in a video made public on Friday. He is slated to hold a news conference in Seattle at a solar panel installer to expand upon his presidential announcement. He will be surrounded by friends, family and business owners who the campaign says have benefited from his climate policies in the state.

"I'm Jay Inslee and I'm running for president because I am the only candidate who will make defeating climate change our nation's number one priority," the governor says in a more-than-a-minute-long video that highlights his decades-long focus on climate change and compares tackling the issue to President John F. Kennedy's focus on going to the moon.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/03/01/politics/inslee-2020-presidential-campaign/index.html

You can't defeat climate change. The climate is always changing.

You could focus on reducing greenhouse gas emissions, but you can't stop the climate from doing what it does. It's a chaotic system.