Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

retrofade

Democrat Thunderdome - 2020 Democratic Candidate Thread

Sen. Kamala Harris (D-Calif.) will formally announce her bid for the White House on or around Martin Luther King Jr. Day, sources told KCBS Radio, a station in her home state of California.

The sources said she would "probably" make the announcement at a rally in Oakland, the radio station added.

A spokesperson for Harris told The Hill, however, that no announcement is imminent and Harris will not be in Oakland during the holiday weekend.

https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/424674-kamala-harris-to-enter-presidential-race-on-or-around-mlk-day-report

And the presidential election cycle is way too long.  We’re 22 months away from this and we are already talking about nominees.  I need a breather. 

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

Just now, NorCalCoug said:

All these wonderfully progressive candidates are paving the way to a 2nd Trump term.

I’m still not convinced Trump will run in 2020.  

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

Dem AGs are still AGs. No thank you. 

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

2 minutes ago, NorCalCoug said:

I think his ego is too big not to.

Maybe. But I also don’t see him handling a loss very well and if his poll numbers continue to slide he may see the writing on the wall a decide not to run.  But that would also require him to think like a rational adult so it’s 50/50. 

Just now, Joe from WY said:

I've had a real dislike of her going back to her years in the SF Prosecutor's Office.

Joe will take a hard pass. 

I think she was Willie Brown’s side chick too.  

1 minute ago, mugtang said:

Maybe. But I also don’t see him handling a loss very well and if his poll numbers continue to slide he may see the writing on the wall a decide not to run.  But that would also require him to think like a rational adult so it’s 50/50. 

Him not running would be the best move in terms of business and in terms of legacy for his followers. He gets to claim that he never lost, he gets to say he walks away on his own terms, and he gets to either run Fox News afterwards or start his own media empire that carries the torch for Trumpism, and it is given more legitimacy because he was never beat in an election. If he loses re-election, I think it hurts those things a bit.

It's the smart move. We'll see.

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

2 minutes ago, smltwnrckr said:

Him not running would be the best move in terms of business and in terms of legacy for his followers. He gets to claim that he never lost, he gets to say he walks away on his own terms, and he gets to either run Fox News afterwards or start his own media empire that carries the torch for Trumpism, and it is given more legitimacy because he was never beat in an election. If he loses re-election, I think it hurts those things a bit.

It's the smart move. We'll see.

I think that’s the best long term play for the Trump family.  Now this is all predicated on Mueller not recommending impeachment or anything. 

Just now, mugtang said:

I think that’s the best long term play for the Trump family.  Now this is all predicated on Mueller not recommending impeachment or anything. 

You bringing that up makes me wonder to what extent does the Mueller investigation end up as the reason we get 8 years of Trump instead of 4. One thing that will keep Trump from bailing would be the power to pardon his family members. 

Just now, smltwnrckr said:

You bringing that up makes me wonder to what extent does the Mueller investigation end up as the reason we get 8 years of Trump instead of 4. One thing that will keep Trump from bailing would be the power to pardon his family members. 

I think this whole Mueller thing will be wrapped up by the spring and we will have the answers to a lot of our questions.  

Just now, mugtang said:

I think this whole Mueller thing will be wrapped up by the spring and we will have the answers to a lot of our questions.  

Yea, I think you're right. There's a world where a complete exoneration and an apology from the Mueller report is the best possible outcome for people who want Trump to go away. 

5 minutes ago, smltwnrckr said:

Yea, I think you're right. There's a world where a complete exoneration and an apology from the Mueller report is the best possible outcome for people who want Trump to go away. 

I wonder if that would be the best outcome for the country too.  Do we really need to go through a long impeachment trial and possible removal from office?  I doubt that’s what happens but that would likely guarantee Trump goes away after 2020.  

2 minutes ago, mugtang said:

I wonder if that would be the best outcome for the country too.  Do we really need to go through a long impeachment trial and possible removal from office?  I doubt that’s what happens but that would likely guarantee Trump goes away after 2020.  

The political version of letting the baby have his bottle.

25 minutes ago, mugtang said:

And the presidential election cycle is way too long.  We’re 22 months away from this and we are already talking about nominees.  I need a breather. 

It's barely even a cycle anymore. It's just a constant.