Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

LoboMan59

UNM Football Adds Mississippi State/UMass for 2020

One time, 1 million dollar body bag at MSU in Starksville, giving UNM 2 body bag games in 2020 (USC the other), then UMass at our place, return game there in 2023.

https://golobos.com/news/2019/1/11/football-unm-adds-mississippi-st-umass-to-future-schedules.aspx

The game against Mississippi State will give UNM 13 games in the 2020 season, and it will be the first of back-to-back Power 5 opponents, as the Lobos will play at USC in Los Angeles the following week.”

"Make a mistake once and it becomes a lesson, make the same mistake twice and it becomes a choice."

5 minutes ago, cherrycrush said:

Things sure have changed over the past decade. I feel like our fan base looked down on New Mexico State and other old WAC programs for making these kind of deals.  Yet here we are.

I'd look down on you if you didn't want to give it a shot.  Sure, it's a bodybag game for the fans but it's a target and a recruiting draw for the players.  We all know the odds, but competitors want to face them.  Good on UNM.

Call BS on that, Cherry. UNM, in fact most of the G5 teams in the West, pretty consistently have done bodybag games since TV money got stupid.

44 minutes ago, Mad_Hatter said:

So that’s 7 road games for 2020? Bold move with 7-6 required for a bowl. Is that $1 mill worth more than an extra G5 home game and at least the hope of a bowl game?

DbAU8ALUMAAMkGQ?format=jpg&name=large

Right now yes, ticket revenue is down. One away payday game is more than 6 home games altogether at the moment.

7 hours ago, Mad_Hatter said:

So that’s 7 road games for 2020? Bold move with 7-6 required for a bowl. Is that $1 mill worth more than an extra G5 home game and at least the hope of a bowl game?

DbAU8ALUMAAMkGQ?format=jpg&name=large

Considering that UNM projected 1.2 million in revenue, and only got a little over 800k... YES!

"Make a mistake once and it becomes a lesson, make the same mistake twice and it becomes a choice."

Here’s an article about football revenue at UNM, underperforming is putting it mildly!

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.abqjournal.com/1266516/2018-unm-football-ticket-revenue-falls-short.html/amp

Guest #1Stunner
7 hours ago, Lobo Amor said:

Right now yes, ticket revenue is down. One away payday game is more than 6 home games altogether at the moment.

New Mexico could be scheduling BYU home and home OOC, and selling out their stadium when they host BYU.   

But....you guys got your pride, I guess.

Would enjoy some BYU vs NM football and basketball games.

39 minutes ago, #1Stunner said:

New Mexico could be scheduling BYU home and home OOC, and selling out their stadium when they host BYU.   

But....you guys got your pride, I guess.

Would enjoy some BYU vs NM football and basketball games.

I’m not sure who, or what, is the hang up for us not playing football or basketball games. I’ve always stated that playing BYU would be a good thing for our program. And I’m sure there would be a very large crowd here for it. At least 30k... a number we haven’t hit since we played Arizona in the N.M. bowl a couple years back.

If it were up to me, we’d have a home and  home scheduled today!

2 hours ago, LoboMan59 said:

Here’s an article about football revenue at UNM, underperforming is putting it mildly!

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.abqjournal.com/1266516/2018-unm-football-ticket-revenue-falls-short.html/amp

things are really bad at unm. Average ticket is less than 10 bucks and still average 16.5k a game. 

"but we only lost to Stanford by 3."

Guest #1Stunner
1 hour ago, LoboMan59 said:

I’m not sure who, or what, is the hang up for us not playing football or basketball games. I’ve always stated that playing BYU would be a good thing for our program. And I’m sure there would be a very large crowd here for it. At least 30k... a number we haven’t hit since we played Arizona in the N.M. bowl a couple years back.

If it were up to me, we’d have a home and  home scheduled today!

Might be that BYU needs late October and November games.  But regardless, I agree it would be a fun rivalry to renew, and a sell out.  I'm sure BYU would be happy to play New Mexico, since we already schedule NM State.   Lobos fans are get fired up....they deserve a better coach.