Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mugtang

Power 7!

53 minutes ago, Lobo Amor said:

Stick to your ban, he added nothing to this board but strife. I've been on other boards where this happens and it only gets worse. If anything make his time out lengthy maybe he doesn't come back?

Yep start cleaning house.  I got a whole list of guys that need to go.   

1 hour ago, slappy said:

Yep start cleaning house.  I got a whole list of guys that need to go.   

Me too

Disclaimer: Any views or opinions presented by this poster (Warbow) are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the Univesity of Hawaii or it's loyal fans. All quotes and opinions from Warbow are valid for 30 days following the date of post transmission and are subject to change at any time. All information published herein by Warbow is gathered from his own opinions or sources which are thought to be reliable, but the reader should not assume that the information is official or fact.

15 hours ago, Dimwhit said:

Anyone know how the AAC trolls are spinning this one?

I perused their board and no one is spinning this at all because they only care about TV ratings; both on the field performance (of teams not located in Orlando, FL) and bowl game revenue are not considered in the discussion about the huge sums of $$$ they expect to get from ESPN next month during their exclusive negotiating period.  Gob Bless 'em and hopefully they get more money because it will probably increase the value of the MW's TV rights too.

In this thread https://www.csnbbs.com/thread-867843.html an AAC fan did the math to demonstrate that the AAC gets 20 to 25% of the ratings of comparable ACC, SEC and Big Ten games in the same time slot so the conference deserves $8 to $12 million per school per year in their new contract.  The thread doesn't really consider how the AAC's ratings compare to conferences that play at the same time in the same geographic region but instead focus on the AAC's ratings versus the MW's ratings (despite almost none of the games being played in the same broadcast window) because none of the team's in the conference either host or win bowl games.

It certainly doesn't help that MWC games begin at 8:30 p.m. EST at the earliest, 80 percent of people in America living in either the Eastern (47 percent) and Central (33 percent) time zones.

The ESPN games that happen at 8:30 p.m. MST have their halftime at midnight in the EST. It's no wonder to me people aren't staying up that late.

It hurts both the viewership and also the national perception of the conference.

21 hours ago, mugtang said:

We’re the top ranked G5 conference this year so we get the most CFB playoff money. 

Access Bowl puts the AAC on top...I believe that's an extra 4.5 million into our bowl pool.

mem skyline sig.jpeg

1 hour ago, Bruininthebay said:

I perused their board and no one is spinning this at all because they only care about TV ratings; both on the field performance (of teams not located in Orlando, FL) and bowl game revenue are not considered in the discussion about the huge sums of $$$ they expect to get from ESPN next month during their exclusive negotiating period.  Gob Bless 'em and hopefully they get more money because it will probably increase the value of the MW's TV rights too.

In this thread https://www.csnbbs.com/thread-867843.html an AAC fan did the math to demonstrate that the AAC gets 20 to 25% of the ratings of comparable ACC, SEC and Big Ten games in the same time slot so the conference deserves $8 to $12 million per school per year in their new contract.  The thread doesn't really consider how the AAC's ratings compare to conferences that play at the same time in the same geographic region but instead focus on the AAC's ratings versus the MW's ratings (despite almost none of the games being played in the same broadcast window) because none of the team's in the conference either host or win bowl games.

AAC fans focus on the total viewer number but not on factors such as time slot, competing shows/games, and importantly demographics and behaviors of viewers. Of course total viewer numbers are available online while other info is held back by companies.

Total viewers has been important in the cable/satellite subscription days. If someone pays extra for the sports channel then the channel wants to offer the games the subscribers will continue to pay to see.

As streaming/cord-cutting grows I think performance against other time slot choices and importantly the fan demographics and behaviors gain importance for the new contracts.

It would be interesting to see MWC vs AAC comparison information about fan demographics and behavior. Some of the things that might be considered are gender, ethnicity, response to advertising/sponsorship, etc. That would reveal even more about the value of a league to a media partner and its potential advertisers.

For example, some demographic groups consume more hours per week of sports in the media than others so how do the MWC and AAC fanbases reflect those groups. Some demographic groups consume more social media time than others so again how does that show up in the fanbases. More importantly some demographic groups respond to ads/sponsorships stronger than others a key factor for advertisers to know about the MWC/AAC fan behavior.

18 hours ago, fanhood said:

Mug, I am a little disappointed. I didn't realize you banned people. He is a moron, but don't let this place become Aztecmesa.

AM bans well meaning Aztecs for being too critical of SDSU sports. (Unless, of course, the criticism clones that of Erik or his father.)

mugtang bans only trolls and in case you may have missed it, there is a Yuge substantive difference.

Boom goes the dynamite.

1 hour ago, retrofade said:

We're still the better conference.

At times.

Ultimately the debate is over who is the tallest midget and that's an issue I believe to be ridiculous to argue about.

Boom goes the dynamite.

2 hours ago, UofMTigers said:

^^^ we want the $$$ cause we got an IPF to pay for...we're even playing a 'buy game' for 770k at Purdue in 2020 to help pay for the thing.

you can always do a h&h with us.  You'll save money instead of having to pay for an IPF.

2 hours ago, UofMTigers said:

^^^ we want the $$$ cause we got an IPF to pay for...we're even playing a 'buy game' for 770k at Purdue in 2020 to help pay for the thing.

You could do it like CSEwe and save yourselves a whole bunch of money!!!

:cheer:

Image result for h.l. mencken quotes

The MW was clearly better than the AAC this year. It is just a shame that UCF played such a weak schedule this year, with their best regular season win being over a Temple team that was beat by Villanova, and blown out by Buffalo. 

1 hour ago, fanhood said:

The MW was clearly better than the AAC this year. It is just a shame that UCF played such a weak schedule this year, with their best regular season win being over a Temple team that was beat by Villanova, and blown out by Buffalo. 

They scheduled 7 win Pitt at home and @ UNC...they didn’t know a hurricane would cancel their P5 road game.

mem skyline sig.jpeg