Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

UNLV2001

PAY ME

6 minutes ago, alum93 said:

Is it even a tiny bit painful if you will never know the money is gone?  Dude still worth $140B.  Insane.

To spend $140,000,000,000 one would need to burn through $383,561,643.84 per day or $15,981,735.16 per hour or $266,362.25 per minute or $4,439.37 per second over a 365 day year :str8pimp:

This reply was great.  But the account got suspended or something. Epic response though. 

03995750-36F3-455C-B6E7-1402E11E1425.jpeg

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

1 minute ago, UNLV2001 said:

To spend $140,000,000,000 one would need to burn through $383,561,643.84 per day or $15,981,735.16 per hour or $266,362.25 per minute or $4,439.37 per second over a 365 day year :str8pimp:

I could do that.....probably.  

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

Just now, mugtang said:

I could do that.....probably.  

Might be close to your budget from MWCBoard revenue - If you can afford to pay me $10,000 per month to pontificate wisdom and information, I can't imagine the amount this site rakes in annually 

Just now, UNLV2001 said:

Might be close to your budget from MWCBoard revenue - If you can afford to pay me $10,000 per month to pontificate wisdom and information, I can't imagine the amount this site rakes in annually 

Your check is in the mail btw.  But with the government shutdown going on who knows :shrug: 

wait the usps is still working...

shit.

6 minutes ago, UNLV2001 said:

Challenge accepted.

Just now, retrofade said:

Challenge accepted.

Could you do it within the rules laid out in the movie Brewster’s Millions?  You have to spend all of the money, can’t give most of it away and you can’t own any new assets after the time period is up?  

1 minute ago, mugtang said:

Could you do it within the rules laid out in the movie Brewster’s Millions?  You have to spend all of the money, can’t give most of it away and you can’t own any new assets after the time period is up?  

I haven't seen that movie... does that last part mean that you can't keep anything that you buy during that time period?

1 minute ago, retrofade said:

I haven't seen that movie... does that last part mean that you can't keep anything that you buy during that time period?

The the premise of the movie is Brewster has a rich uncle and the uncle says he has to spend I think $30 million in a month to inherit $140 million.  But at the end of the month he can’t own anything that he didn’t before he accepted the challenge, he can only give 5% away to charities or other people, can’t go out and buy an expensive piece of art or something similar and destroy it.  He just has to blow through the money.  He does it by hiring people at outrageous wages, leasing clothes, cars, hotels, etc. It stars Richard Pryor and is pretty funny. I’d recommend it. 

4 minutes ago, mugtang said:

Literally impossible........things that you'd have to spend it on in massive blocks would end up being assets - don't see how it could be done short term 

6 minutes ago, retrofade said:

2 minutes ago, mugtang said:

The the premise of the movie is Brewster has a rich uncle and the uncle says he has to spend I think $30 million in a month to inherit $140 million.  But at the end of the month he can’t own anything that he didn’t before he accepted the challenge, he can only give 5% away to charities or other people, can’t go out and buy an expensive piece of art or something similar and destroy it.  He just has to blow through the money.  He does it by hiring people at outrageous wages, leasing clothes, cars, hotels, etc. It stars Richard Pryor and is pretty funny. I’d recommend it. 

Knew the Pryor version was a remake, but it's apparently been around for awhile 

The novel Brewster's Millions has been adapted into many films:

Title Year Director Brewster Notes
Brewster's Millions 1914 Cecil B. DeMille and Oscar Apfel Edward Abeles Based on the play. Brewster has to spend one million dollars in less than one year to inherit $7 million. Considered a lost film.
Brewster's Millions 1921 Joseph Henabery Roscoe Arbuckle Screenplay by Walter Woods, based on the play. Brewster has to spend $1 million in less than one year to inherit $4 million. Considered a lost film.
Miss Brewster's Millions 1926 Clarence G. Badger Bebe Daniels Screenplay by Monte Brice, Lloyd Corrigan and Harold Shumate, based on the play. Polly Brewster has to spend $1 million in 30 days or less to inherit $5 million. Considered a lost film.
Brewster's Millions 1935 Thornton Freeland Jack Buchanan Screenplay by Douglas Furber and Paul Gangelin. British version where Brewster has to spend 500,000 pound sterling in six months or less to inherit £6 million.
Brewster's Millions 1945 Allan Dwan Dennis O'Keefe Screenplay by Sig Herzig and Wilkie C. Mahoney. Brewster has to spend one million dollars in 60 days or less to inherit $7 million.
Vaddante Dabbu 1954 Y. R. Swamy N.T.Rama Rao This is a Telugu film. Has to spend ₹100,000 in 30 days.
Three on a Spree 1961 Sidney J. Furie Jack Watling Screenplay by Sig Herzig and James Kelley
Babayi-Abbayi 1985 Jandhyala Subramanya Sastry Nandamuri Balakrishna This is a Telugu movie. Has to spend ₹3 million in 30 days.
Brewster's Millions 1985 Walter Hill Richard Pryor Screenplay by Herschel Weingrod and Timothy Harris. Brewster has to spend $30 million in 30 days or less to inherit $300 million; he is given the option to simply take $1 million upfront, but turns it down.
Maalamaal 1988 Kawal Sharma Naseeruddin Shah This Hindi-language version was released in India in 1988. The plot remains the same – spend 30 million Indian rupees in 30 days or less to earn 300 million rupees. It is an obvious scene-by-scene "Indianization" of the 1985 Richard Pryor film with some additional scenes and a few musical production numbers. Maalamaal on IMDb
Arunachalam 1997 Sundar C Rajinikanth An Indian Tamil film based also on the Brewster story, with significant differences from earlier versions, particularly in the first half. Many plotlines are interwoven, but the basic concept, spending ₹300 million in 30 days to inherit ₹30 billion, remains the same.
Tô Ryca! 2016 Pedro Antônio Samantha Schmütz A Brazilian film. As in the Richard Pryor film, Selminha (Little Selma) must spend R$30 million in 30 days to inherit her uncle's fortune of R$300 million without keeping anything or telling anybody.
Hello Mr. Billionaire 2018 Yán Fēi Shen Teng A Chinese film based on Brewster story with numerous, subtle differences to the 1985 version. A key difference being a "test" towards the end of the film to break the rules of spending to save the life of a romantic interest and forfeit the larger inheritance. The benefactor designed the test to be staged near the end of the 30-day test to determine if the money had changed his grandson's compassion for humanity.

1 minute ago, UNLV2001 said:

Knew the Pryor version was a remake, but it's apparently been around for awhile 

The novel Brewster's Millions has been adapted into many films:

I had no idea. 

4 minutes ago, mugtang said:

I'll have to watch it... sounds funny enough, especially if it has Richard Pryor in it. 

1 minute ago, retrofade said:

I'll have to watch it... sounds funny enough, especially if it has Richard Pryor in it. 

Richard Pryor was a national treasure.