Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
SleepingGiantsFan

Trump Playing Right Into Dems' Trap

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, easybronc said:

To conjure up political pressure and make Trump cave is all the dems have right now.  They've painted themselves into a corner and can't compromise.   I mean what happens after a couple months of shutdown when Trump says "Okay, instead of $5 billion lets cut it in half and make it $2.5 billion for the wall."  Thats still a huge win for Trump and humiliating defeat for the dems.  If they refuse the deal it will be THEIR shutdown.  Even $1B for the wall is a win for Trump.  He has room to move on the issue, the dems don't.  Thats why I think Chuck and Nancy look nervous. 

 

Couple of months? President Art of the Deal is going to declare a national emergency by next week.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, IanforHeisman said:

 I bet Trump gives in first. 

Those coward Republican senators just need to vote and override a veto and the government is open.  Like Rubio says what if the next president declares climate change an emergency and takes a bunch of money to implement a policy that congress doesn't.

UPDATE:

It looks like some GOP senators are getting cold feet. Good! the shut down is on them and this is no subtle hint to Trump.  https://www.deseretnews.com/article/900050153/sen-mike-lee-joins-gop-senators-on-bill-to-permanently-end-government-shutdowns.html

SALT LAKE CITY — Sen. Mike Lee is among a group of Senate Republicans who introduced a bill Friday to permanently prevent government shutdowns.

In addition to Lee, Sens. Chuck Grassley, R-Iowa; Steve Daines, R-Mont.; Johnny Isakson, R-Ga.; Mike Enzi, R-Wyo.; John Barrasso, R-Wyo.; Jim Risch, R-Idaho; and Lisa Murkowski, R-Alaska, signed on to Portman's bill.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Like I said previously,  if the Dems get GOP to override a budget bill, you can bet Republicans will carve out a lot of other gov't programs to do it.   
Dems may lose much more than giving Trump a wall.   But stop trying to blame just one side or the other.  A budget requires compromise in order to pass.  And if the Dems won't compromise at all on the wall then it hurts them as much as it hurts Trump.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

BTW, Trump just noted he is not going to declare a Nat'l Emergency concerning the border. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, pokerider said:

Like I said previously,  if the Dems get GOP to override a budget bill, you can bet Republicans will carve out a lot of other gov't programs to do it.   
Dems may lose much more than giving Trump a wall.   But stop trying to blame just one side or the other.  A budget requires compromise in order to pass.  And if the Dems won't compromise at all on the wall then it hurts them as much as it hurts Trump.  

They can just pass the same bill they all passed a few days ago.  They should have already learned their lesson that you don't try to use a shutdown as a hostage to push unpopular policies.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, easybronc said:

To conjure up political pressure and make Trump cave is all the dems have right now.  They've painted themselves into a corner and can't compromise.   I mean what happens after a couple months of shutdown when Trump says "Okay, instead of $5 billion lets cut it in half and make it $2.5 billion for the wall."  Thats still a huge win for Trump and humiliating defeat for the dems.  If they refuse the deal it will be THEIR shutdown.  Even $1B for the wall is a win for Trump.  He has room to move on the issue, the dems don't.  Thats why I think Chuck and Nancy look nervous. 

 

I believe the dems already passed a bill to include 1.3 million for border security, matching the senate bill that was already passed. Trump was ready to sign it before being called a pussy by Limbaugh and Coulter.. The senate has enough votes to pass it right now, but McConnell won't call a vote.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So what some of are saying is give into Trump for his wall is that right?  Ok let's say they give him the money. Then what happens the next time he doesn't get his way? He holds the government hostage again.

 

Would you have into your child?

 

Trump only cares for about 30% of the country and he's governing that way. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, pokerider said:

BTW, Trump just noted he is not going to declare a Nat'l Emergency concerning the border. 

And his word is bond, I hear.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, pokerider said:

Like I said previously,  if the Dems get GOP to override a budget bill, you can bet Republicans will carve out a lot of other gov't programs to do it.   
Dems may lose much more than giving Trump a wall.   But stop trying to blame just one side or the other.  A budget requires compromise in order to pass.  And if the Dems won't compromise at all on the wall then it hurts them as much as it hurts Trump.  

It's not both sides. Trump himself said this is his shutdown.  There is only one side holding hostages here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, rudolro said:

So what some of are saying is give into Trump for his wall is that right?  Ok let's say they give him the money. Then what happens the next time he doesn't get his way? He holds the government hostage again.

 

Would you have into your child?

 

Trump only cares for about 30% of the country and he's governing that way. 

100% this. The same goes for if he declared a national emergency, that just opens pandora's box for any president moving forward. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, IanforHeisman said:

 I bet Trump gives in first. 

Last poll I heard about had 57% supporting the Dems and just 42% supporting Ronald The Donald. While the Dems haven't budged an inch, he's also changed his position from demanding a wall to settling for a fence.

So of course it's going to be Trump who caves. And since they have the upper hand, the Dems aren't going to agree to split the difference and give him $2.5B.

Since the Dems originally offered $1.6B for his agreeing to their DACA plan, my guess is the settlement will be something like $2M for the wall and a tweaking of the DACA plan.

But whatever happens, Trump will be the winner. We'll know that because it's as sure as the sun rising in the east that he'll tell us all about it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Akkula said:

Those coward Republican senators just need to vote and override a veto and the government is open.  Like Rubio says what if the next president declares climate change an emergency and takes a bunch of money to implement a policy that congress doesn't.

UPDATE:

It looks like some GOP senators are getting cold feet. Good! the shut down is on them and this is no subtle hint to Trump.  https://www.deseretnews.com/article/900050153/sen-mike-lee-joins-gop-senators-on-bill-to-permanently-end-government-shutdowns.html

SALT LAKE CITY — Sen. Mike Lee is among a group of Senate Republicans who introduced a bill Friday to permanently prevent government shutdowns.

In addition to Lee, Sens. Chuck Grassley, R-Iowa; Steve Daines, R-Mont.; Johnny Isakson, R-Ga.; Mike Enzi, R-Wyo.; John Barrasso, R-Wyo.; Jim Risch, R-Idaho; and Lisa Murkowski, R-Alaska, signed on to Portman's bill.

The House couldn’t override a veto, let alone the Senate. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Day 21

The dems can end this for just $5B and all those people can get paid.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, easybronc said:

Day 21

The dems can end this for just $5B and all those people can get paid.  

Which one are you?

Screenshot_20190112-071745.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Old_SD_Dude said:

The House couldn’t override a veto, let alone the Senate. 

Maybe not but they need to take a vote...that is what congress does.  Then they need to face their constituents after that vote and explain why they are shutting down the government and why they have to ask Trump's permission to be a co-equal branch of government.  There are enough non-crazy Republicans out there that this will be over pretty quickly once they have to explain their votes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, easybronc said:

Day 21

The dems can end this for just $5B and all those people can get paid.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Akkula said:

Maybe not but they need to take a vote...that is what congress does.  Then they need to face their constituents after that vote and explain why they are shutting down the government and why they have to ask Trump's permission to be a co-equal branch of government.  There are enough non-crazy Republicans out there that this will be over pretty quickly once they have to explain their votes.

You’re pretty out of touch. Something like 90% of Republicans support Trump. GOP legislators will have a lot more explaining to do if they don’t toe the Trumpist line.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Old_SD_Dude said:

You’re pretty out of touch. Something like 90% of Republicans support Trump. GOP legislators will have a lot more explaining to do if they don’t toe the Trumpist line.

But you are forgetting that Republicans have to stand for reelection in 2020 on statewide ballots and many need more than GOP support.  Even the most conservative states have a sizable moderate group of constituents who will determine the outcome of the election.  If what you say is true, why doesn't McConnel just have a vote to show Trump how "behind" him the caucus is?  The answer is because it isn't behind Trump and McConnell is trying to protect the senators from a tough vote because they are caught between their moderate constituents and the right-wing looneys.  

Sasse, Romney, Sinema, etc., are going to have a lot of explaining to do if they don't open up large IRS facilities and National Parks like the ones in Utah.  LET THEM VOTE

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×