Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SleepingGiantFan

Trump Playing Right Into Dems' Trap

9 minutes ago, pokerider said:

Dems are treating Trump as though he's just another Republican politician that will fold to political pressure.  

I think we should all know by now Trump is not like a typical politician.  And he isn't going to play by the former rules.  I don't think Trump has anything to lose at this point. 

That only matters if this is all about Trump and has nothing to do with policy or the American people.

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

11 minutes ago, pokerider said:

Dems are treating Trump as though he's just another Republican politician that will fold to political pressure.  

I think we should all know by now Trump is not like a typical politician.  And he isn't going to play by the former rules.  I don't think Trump has anything to lose at this point. 

That doesn't apply to the rest of the party that has adopted him. They have things to lose.

Thay Haif Said: Quhat Say Thay? Lat Thame Say

Just now, NVGiant said:

Of course, this IS all about Trump.

Of course.

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

10 minutes ago, Old_SD_Dude said:

That doesn't apply to the rest of the party that has adopted him. They have things to lose.

As does the country he is supposed to be leading.

I'm a desperate man
Send lawyers, guns, and money
The shit has hit the fan

13 hours ago, toonkee said:

Dear God the internet giveth so much today.  Our cups truly runneth over.

Liberal, Hollywood elites once again show their hatred of Trump. SAD!

3 hours ago, Old_SD_Dude said:

The dream is that Western Republican states will revolt against their senators since they get so much federal welfare and force their senators to vote to reopen the government and override Trump's veto.  Trump then gets a bunch of Palin and Roy Moore bumpkins to win primaries against these Republican jokers for 2020.  

Posted Image

If Trump can get away with claiming immigration from Mexico is a national emergency and circumvent Congress then it seems to me that should a Democrat be elected president that democrat could claim gun deaths were a national emergency and institute gun control activities.  That same president could declare health care a national emergency and disperse federal funds to assist poor people to get health insurance.

Be careful of what you wish for.  

3 minutes ago, sandiegopete said:

If Trump can get away with claiming immigration from Mexico is a national emergency and circumvent Congress then it seems to me that should a Democrat be elected president that democrat could claim gun deaths were a national emergency and institute gun control activities.  That same president could declare health care a national emergency and disperse federal funds to assist poor people to get health insurance.

Be careful of what you wish for.  

I think the second example is more analogous than the first. The 2nd Amendment makes it harder to restrict guns even in an "emergency" situation.

1 minute ago, smltwnrckr said:

I think the second example is more analogous than the first. The 2nd Amendment makes it harder to restrict guns even in an "emergency" situation.

Really? United States citizens were interned in relocation camps during WWII and the Court found that constitutional because the emergency warranted suspension of the habeas corpus clause of the Constitution.  Why can't the protections of an amendment be suspended if a founding clause of the Constitution can be suspended?

1 minute ago, sandiegopete said:

Really? United States citizens were interned in relocation camps during WWII and the Court found that constitutional because the emergency warranted suspension of the habeas corpus clause of the Constitution.  Why can't the protections of an amendment be suspended if a founding clause of the Constitution can be suspended?

The court wouldn't rule the same way today, I'm guessing. The courts have only expanded 2nd amendment protections in recent decades. 

5 minutes ago, smltwnrckr said:

The court wouldn't rule the same way today, I'm guessing. The courts have only expanded 2nd amendment protections in recent decades. 

Your point is that the Supreme Court would allow Trump to bypass the Constitutional requirements of Article I, Section 8 but not any of the Articles or Amendments that Trump supporters like.  Must be nice to have everything your way.  Not necessarily a prescription for good or lasting government.

4 minutes ago, sandiegopete said:

Your point is that the Supreme Court would allow Trump to bypass the Constitutional requirements of Article I, Section 8 but not any of the Articles or Amendments that Trump supporters like.  Must be nice to have everything your way.  Not necessarily a prescription for good or lasting government.

My point is that it would be easier for a liberal president to provide government health care in an emergency declaration than to impose stricter gun control. I'm right about it, too.

I agree that any of this is not a prescription for good lasting government. But people don't seem to be interested in that right now. 

22 minutes ago, smltwnrckr said:

My point is that it would be easier for a liberal president to provide government health care in an emergency declaration than to impose stricter gun control. I'm right about it, too.

I agree that any of this is not a prescription for good lasting government. But people don't seem to be interested in that right now. 

It would be harder but not impossible. Especially in these days when stretching the Constitutional limitations seem to be supported by ideological considerations. 

7 hours ago, pokerider said:

To conjure up political pressure and make Trump cave is all the dems have right now.  They've painted themselves into a corner and can't compromise.   I mean what happens after a couple months of shutdown when Trump says "Okay, instead of $5 billion lets cut it in half and make it $2.5 billion for the wall."  Thats still a huge win for Trump and humiliating defeat for the dems.  If they refuse the deal it will be THEIR shutdown.  Even $1B for the wall is a win for Trump.  He has room to move on the issue, the dems don't.  Thats why I think Chuck and Nancy look nervous. 

3 hours ago, sandiegopete said:

3 hours ago, smltwnrckr said:

The US being in a world war was a major factor - not this imagined emergency that trump has created in his head 

6 hours ago, Akkula said:

The dream is that Western Republican states will revolt against their senators since they get so much federal welfare and force their senators to vote to reopen the government and override Trump's veto.  Trump then gets a bunch of Palin and Roy Moore bumpkins to win primaries against these Republican jokers for 2020.  

If you are talking about California, Oregon, and Washington they don’t have any Republican senators.