mugtang

Gas Shortage in Mexico

7 minutes ago, mugtang said:

I thought pipelines carried oil?  Are they saying thieves steal the oil and refine it into gasoline themselves?  Or do they have pipelines that carry refined gasoline?

How did the refinery not realize a 2 mile hose was siphoning off fuel from their facility? 

Corruption, apparently.

It's hard to believe oil was being stolen from pipelines unless the refineries were in on it.  Start there.

Just now, Boise fan said:

I thought pipelines carried oil?  Are they saying thieves steal the oil and refine it into gasoline themselves?  Or do they have pipelines that carry refined gasoline?

How did the refinery not realize a 2 mile hose was siphoning off fuel from their facility? 

Corruption, apparently.

It's hard to believe oil was being stolen from pipelines unless the refineries were in on it.  Start there.

I’m assuming these are rhetorical questions....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Boise fan said:

There are approximately 63,000 miles of refined products pipelines nationwide. They are found in almost every state in the U.S. These pipelines deliver petroleum products to large fuel terminals with storage tanks that are then loaded into tanker trucks.

https://pipeline101.org/How-Do-Pipelines-Work

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, renoskier said:

There are approximately 63,000 miles of refined products pipelines nationwide. They are found in almost every state in the U.S. These pipelines deliver petroleum products to large fuel terminals with storage tanks that are then loaded into tanker trucks.

https://pipeline101.org/How-Do-Pipelines-Work

Good to know.  They sound like they'd be shorter runs than regular crude oil pipelines, which would make sense due to the volatility of refined petroleum over crude. 

From the article I still think the issue seems to be centered at the refineries.  Something fishy is going on in them imo.

Just now, Boise fan said:

Good to know.  They sound like they'd be shorter runs than regular crude oil pipelines, which would make sense due to the volatility of refined petroleum over crude. 

From the article I still think the issue seems to be centered at the refineries.  Something fishy is going on in them imo.

I don't know for sure but I believe the tank farm/transfer station in Sparks, NV is supplied by pipelines from the Benicia refinery. That's a little more than 100 miles.

35 minutes ago, renoskier said:

I don't know for sure but I believe the tank farm/transfer station in Sparks, NV is supplied by pipelines from the Benicia refinery. That's a little more than 100 miles.

Wow.  I had no idea a refined petroleum pipeline would travel such a distance.  Sounds risky.  Then again, natural gas pipelines are extremely volatile and they travel great distances. 

14 minutes ago, Boise fan said:

Wow.  I had no idea a refined petroleum pipeline would travel such a distance.  Sounds risky.  Then again, natural gas pipelines are extremely volatile and they travel great distances. 

Risky? It is by far the safest way to transport pretty much anything liquid. 

1 minute ago, happycamper said:

Risky? It is by far the safest way to transport pretty much anything liquid. 

I did qualify my statement by mentioning natural gas.

25 minutes ago, Boise fan said:

Not as risky as illegally tapping the pipeline.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Old_SD_Dude said:

Not as risky as illegally tapping the pipeline.

Yeah I was thinking about that - the liquid is under intense pressure.  I have no idea how they'd tap into a line without big spills and potential explosions.  Unless the refineries were involved, perhaps shutting down the line, or letting the thieves know when it would be down so they could safely tap it.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Boise fan said:

Yeah I was thinking about that - the liquid is under intense pressure.  I have no idea how they'd tap into a line without big spills and potential explosions.  Unless the refineries were involved, perhaps shutting down the line, or letting the thieves know when it would be down so they could safely tap it.

In Mexico anything is possible.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

50 minutes ago, Old_SD_Dude said:

In Mexico anything is possible.

1 hour ago, Boise fan said:

An authoritarian paradise you all should love it.

11 hours ago, Boise fan said:

Corruption, apparently.

Pipelines carry both raw materials (crude oil, gas condensate, natural gas, etc...) & refined products (gasoline, deseil, jet fuel, etc...).

• Like 1

There’s way too many bean burritos in Mexico for there to be a gas shortage. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, bluerules009 said:

An authoritarian paradise you all should love it.

You book passage on the S.S. Libertardia yet? 

You'll be soooooo much happier there.  I know the rest of us will be happier too. 

It's called a wet tap....a tee that clamps around the pipe with a sealed drill bit inside and a control valve.  Tap and go.   

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Jackrabbit said:

It's called a wet tap....a tee that clamps around the pipe with a sealed drill bit inside and a control valve.  Tap and go.   

I prefer "Hit it and quit it".

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, Boise fan said:

Boise's refined gasoline comes mostly from Salt Lake by pipeline.

• Like 1