Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest #1Stunner

OT: WAC News. Dixie State University joining the WAC.

1 minute ago, Del Scorcho said:

Utah has 3.2 million people currently and is expected to hit 4 million by 2032

You're correct. I see I obviously swapped the place of the numbers - NV just passed 3M so I knew Utah was just slightly ahead of NV.

Still 7 D-1 programs is a lot for a state of limited population 

1 minute ago, UNLV2001 said:

You're correct. I see I obviously swapped the place of the numbers - NV just passed 3M so I knew Utah was just slightly ahead of NV.

true ... too many

we're going for quantity vs. quality :)

1 minute ago, UNLV2001 said:

I guess i don't see why since we are talking D1 basketball.  You are talking maybe 3 or 4 really good players to win.  Now if we were talking that many FBS football programs, totally different story.  If the schools has the money and the commitment,  making the leap to D1 basketball and winning immediately is possible.  GCU has done just fine with Thunder Dan.  Granted, that school is loaded with cash.  Still,  they have won for the last several years and just became eligible for the dance in 2017 season.

1 minute ago, alum93 said:

I guess i don't see why since we are talking D1 basketball.  You are talking maybe 3 or 4 really good players to win.  Now if we were talking that many FBS football programs, totally different story.  If the schools has the money and the commitment,  making the leap to D1 basketball and winning immediately is possible.  GCU has done just fine with Thunder Dan.  Granted, that school is loaded with cash.  Still,  they have won for the last several years and just became eligible for the dance in 2017 season.

True that BB is easier to fill with players than FB - Just don't see many smaller population states with this many D-1 programs is the thing - not that it's any right or wrong, just unusual in a trivial sense 

Guest #1Stunner
4 minutes ago, Del Scorcho said:

true ... too many

we're going for quantity vs. quality :)

I think Dixie State is sort of a "mini" sleeping giant, since it is in the fastest growing part of Utah.   Warm weather and all.

If their program takes off, I can see it affecting USU's basketball recruiting---both schools are sort of isolated, but Dixie has nicer weather.  And it might also lead to more transfers from BYU and Utah----guys that don't think they are getting enough playing time.  Over the past 3 years, UVU has done that.   They have taken a lot of BYU and UTAH transfers.

Still....crazy how many large Universities there are in Utah.  

37 minutes ago, #1Stunner said:

I think Dixie State is sort of a "mini" sleeping giant, since it is in the fastest growing part of Utah.   Warm weather and all.

If their program takes off, I can see it affecting USU's basketball recruiting---both schools are sort of isolated, but Dixie has nicer weather.  And it might also lead to more transfers from BYU and Utah----guys that don't think they are getting enough playing time.  Over the past 3 years, UVU has done that.   They have taken a lot of BYU and UTAH transfers.

Still....crazy how many large Universities there are in Utah.  

Dixie is 2 hours up the I 15 from Vegas. Easy drive, and very rarely any snow to worry about. And yes, it is growing so fast. I got lost up there just before Christmas, and I used to know that town extremely well, but I ended up back behind the hills just trying to get back to the freeway, lol. But it was dark, and a new area, so I'm going with that. :P

I know a lot of kids right out of high school from Moapa Valley and Virgin Valley go to school up there at least for a year or two, small school not far from home, but I think a lot more go up to SUU rather than Dixie. But if they're going D1 I think that school will grow quickly.

Guest #1Stunner
12 minutes ago, 4UNLV said:

Dixie is 2 hours up the I 15 from Vegas. Easy drive, and very rarely any snow to worry about. And yes, it is growing so fast. I got lost up there just before Christmas, and I used to know that town extremely well, but I ended up back behind the hills just trying to get back to the freeway, lol. But it was dark, and a new area, so I'm going with that. :P

I know a lot of kids right out of high school from Moapa Valley and Virgin Valley go to school up there at least for a year or two, small school not far from home, but I think a lot more go up to SUU rather than Dixie. But if they're going D1 I think that school will grow quickly.

Dixie / St. George always made more sense for a southern University than did SUU / Cedar City.   

The only reason SUU was made a University is because of politics.  Utah's former governor, Mike Leavitt, was from Cedar City and did everything he could to make sure that SUU got more funding than Dixie.  

My oldest son plays football at a RMAC school that Dixie State is currently a part of.  We beat them this year.  While they had some talent they are going to get flat embarrassed in the near future at the D-1 level.  I'd be surprised if they are within40 points of anybody when they make the jump...

19 minutes ago, Wyoguns said:

My oldest son plays football at a RMAC school that Dixie State is currently a part of.  We beat them this year.  While they had some talent they are going to get flat embarrassed in the near future at the D-1 level.  I'd be surprised if they are within40 points of anybody when they make the jump...

They’ll be able to compete with the likes of UNLV and SJSU.

3 hours ago, RamSack said:

They’ll be able to compete with the likes of UNLV and SJSU.

Just like the fake CSU (aka fake rams) barely hung with SJSU. 

8 hours ago, jdgaucho said:

Even if Tarleton State and/or Azuza Pacific join - big if - the WAC is still short of the requirement of six teams for an FCS auto bid.  You're likely not getting Grand Canyon or Utah Valley to start up football (maybe UT-RGV?) so the WAC will need affiliates.

Too bad the Big West wants no part of football.  Hypothetically, an FCS league comprised of, say...

UC Davis

Cal Poly

Portland State 

Dixie State (FB-only, other sports WAC)

Sac State (FB, beach volleyball only.  other sports WAC)

NAU / Tarleton State / Azuza Pacific (FB only)

...would be a win win for everyone, and - IMO - easier to start up than the WAC adding six or seven football schools. In either case, you'll need affiliates.

How many times we have to have this argument.  Big West 🏈 only works if you have the Titans and Niners and it is essentially a bus league.  Then you got Poly, the Sac schools, the Socal schools and one or two out of starters.  But it's got to have Long  beach and or Fullerton to work. 

Glad to see the WAC rise from the ashes once more.  I think Dixie State will be a great addition.  St. George is the fastest growing metro area in the country.

Now the stage is set for the WAC to let go of Chicago State, which in turn may help convince one or two more western D-2 schools to move up and round out the conference membership.

14 hours ago, CPslograd said:

How many times we have to have this argument.  Big West 🏈 only works if you have the Titans and Niners and it is essentially a bus league.  Then you got Poly, the Sac schools, the Socal schools and one or two out of starters.  But it's got to have Long  beach and or Fullerton to work. 

Till the end of time - cause in theory this one is doable.  Back me up here, @HawaiiMongoose?  

But here's where you are wrong.  The key isn't Long Beach or Fullerton, or even Sac State.  It's Portland State.

Guest #1Stunner
53 minutes ago, jdgaucho said:

Till the end of time - cause in theory this one is doable.  Back me up here, @HawaiiMongoose?  

But here's where you are wrong.  The key isn't Long Beach or Fullerton, or even Sac State.  It's Portland State.

What about this (more compact than the Big Sky):

PACIFIC FCS FOOTBALL CONFERENCE

Cal Poly (BIG WEST)

Cal Davis (BIG WEST)

Sac State (WAC)

Portland State (WAC)

E. Washington (WAC)

Dixie (WAC)

SJSU (WAC)?

WAC (basketball and Olympic sports)

1.  Grand Canyon

2.  Cal Baptist

3.  Utah Valley

4.  Dixie State

5.  NMSU

6.  Seattle

7.  Portland St.

8.  E. Washington

9.. Sac State

10. SJSU?

Join regional conferences / out:

1.  Chicago State.

2.  UMKC

3.  UTRGV

56 minutes ago, #1Stunner said:

What about this (more compact than the Big Sky):

PACIFIC FCS FOOTBALL CONFERENCE

Cal Poly (BIG WEST)

Cal Davis (BIG WEST)

Sac State (WAC)

Portland State (WAC)

E. Washington (WAC)

Dixie (WAC)

BYboo? (finally a football home)

FIFY.

47 minutes ago, Billings said:

wait dixie is putting football where?

nowhere.  they plan on being an FCS Independent.

whoa!! I don't know if anybody saw the last minute of the NMSU/GCU basketball game, but the aggies had given up 2 baskets on TOs to give GCU the lead, and then with 3 seconds left an aggie made a half court buzzer beater for the win.