Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest #1Stunner

OT: WAC News. Dixie State University joining the WAC.

Guest #1Stunner

https://www.ksl.com/article/46464699/sources-dixie-state-to-go-division-i-will-join-the-western-athletic-conference

Dixie State will move from NCAA Division II to Division I, with an expectation to join the Western Athletic Conference, according to multiple sources with direct knowledge of the situation.

The sources spoke on the condition of anonymity because a deal has not been announced. An official announcement is expected Friday, according to one source, with a move to the WAC becoming official as early as the 2020-21 season.

This is good news for the WAC, as it adds another regional member.   Dixie State University has an enrollment of 9,000. 

FCS independence?  better find a conference soon.  Ask Cal State Northridge how independence went for them...

1 hour ago, #1Stunner said:

https://www.ksl.com/article/46464699/sources-dixie-state-to-go-division-i-will-join-the-western-athletic-conference

Dixie State will move from NCAA Division II to Division I, with an expectation to join the Western Athletic Conference, according to multiple sources with direct knowledge of the situation.

The sources spoke on the condition of anonymity because a deal has not been announced. An official announcement is expected Friday, according to one source, with a move to the WAC becoming official as early as the 2020-21 season.

This is good news for the WAC, as it adds another regional member.   Dixie State University has an enrollment of 9,000. 

Is that the same conference BYU is in now?

Dang this gives the state of Utah 7 D-1 programs .........that's a lot for a state with 2.3 million people 

Wonder if Dixie is eyeing the Big Sky for FB?? That would give the state 3 BSC teams like Idaho had back in the 1980's 

I drove by the campus just last week.  I blinked and damnear missed it.  The State of Utah is not smart allowing this kingdom building for these small, one time community colleges.  This decision is stupid.  

Guest #1Stunner
29 minutes ago, UNLV2001 said:

Dang this gives the state of Utah 7 D-1 programs .........that's a lot for a state with 2.3 million people 

Wonder if Dixie is eyeing the Big Sky for FB?? That would give the state 3 BSC teams like Idaho had back in the 1980's 

It is somewhat odd, and maybe concerning for the existing programs, that the State of Utah will have so many D1 programs.

I could see it affecting recruiting of a few schools, or at least encourage guys to transfer if they aren't getting much playing time.

UVU is already getting a 4 star basketball recruit.  Dixie might do the same.  St. George is a great college town.

Guest #1Stunner
Just now, ViAggie said:

I drove by the campus just last week.  I blinked and damnear missed it.  The State of Utah is not smart allowing this kingdom building for these small, one time community colleges.  This decision is stupid.  

St. George is one of the fastest growing areas in the the United States.

I believe the St George metro area is now larger than the Logan, Utah metro area.   I won't be surprised to see Dixie State grow rather rapidly.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation-now/2018/03/22/st-george-utah-nations-fastest-growing-metro-area-census-says/448197002/

Sounds great to me in terms of getting numbers up.  Chicago State has been on shaky ground for awhile now.  Adding another team ensures if anything were to happen where Chicago State ended up leaving,  the WAC would still have 8 members.   The WAC is currently at 9, but CSUB joins Big West in 2020.  Unlike football that takes tremendous resources, a solid coach and few good basketball players can turn around a program very quickly, or in this case become competitive at the D1 level.  Good news long term for the WAC.

Guest #1Stunner
4 minutes ago, alum93 said:

Sounds great to me in terms of getting numbers up.  Chicago State has been on shaky ground for awhile now.  Adding another team ensures if anything were to happen where Chicago State ended up leaving,  the WAC would still have 8 members.   The WAC is currently at 9, but CSUB joins Big West in 2020.  Unlike football that takes tremendous resources, a solid coach and few good basketball players can turn around a program very quickly, or in this case become competitive at the D1 level.  Good news long term for the WAC.

Agreed.  The WAC is looking like a decent basketball conference.  

Membership would probably soon look like this:

1---Grand Canyon

2---Cal Baptist

3---Utah Valley 

4---Dixie State 

5---Seattle

6---UTRGV

7---New Mexico State.

SJSU????

8---Chicago State

9---UMKC

Also rumors that the WAC might add 1 or 2 additional Texas schools.

1 hour ago, jdgaucho said:

FCS independence?  better find a conference soon.  Ask Cal State Northridge how independence went for them...

They’ll be fine as the Big Sky schools need OOC games bedsides the NAIA and D2 schools.

If the rumors of Tarlton St and Azusa Pav moving up are gaining steam then WAC will have FCS football down the road.

28 minutes ago, #1Stunner said:

Agreed.  The WAC is looking like a decent basketball conference.  

Membership would probably soon look like this:

1---Grand Canyon

2---Cal Baptist

3---Utah Valley 

4---Dixie State 

5---Seattle

6---UTRGV

7---New Mexico State.

SJSU????

8---Chicago State

9---UMKC

Also rumors that the WAC might add 1 or 2 additional Texas schools.

There are always rumors of WAC adding schools.  I don't see UMKC or Chicago State going anywhere near term.  Chicago State has had major financial issues for years but they are still here.  And SJSU isn't leaving the MWC.

16 minutes ago, MWC Tex said:

They’ll be fine as the Big Sky schools need OOC games bedsides the NAIA and D2 schools.

If the rumors of Tarlton St and Azusa Pav moving up are gaining steam then WAC will have FCS football down the road.

Even if Tarleton State and/or Azuza Pacific join - big if - the WAC is still short of the requirement of six teams for an FCS auto bid.  You're likely not getting Grand Canyon or Utah Valley to start up football (maybe UT-RGV?) so the WAC will need affiliates.

Too bad the Big West wants no part of football.  Hypothetically, an FCS league comprised of, say...

UC Davis

Cal Poly

Portland State 

Dixie State (FB-only, other sports WAC)

Sac State (FB, beach volleyball only.  other sports WAC)

NAU / Tarleton State / Azuza Pacific (FB only)

...would be a win win for everyone, and - IMO - easier to start up than the WAC adding six or seven football schools. In either case, you'll need affiliates.

3 hours ago, #1Stunner said:

What's the average age of a Dixie State student?

The World Needs More Cowboys!

Guest #1Stunner
23 minutes ago, pokebball said:

What's the average age of a Dixie State student?

Google shows this:

https://www.collegefactual.com/colleges/dixie-state-college-of-utah/student-life/diversity/chart-age-diversity.html

Not sure what this data comes from.

Are you thinking about moving to St. George and furthering your education?   Its got a lot of "snow bird" retirees there (I've only ever visited).

2 hours ago, UNLV2001 said:

Utah has 3.2 million people currently and is expected to hit 4 million by 2032