Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

tailingpermit

Are Boise State HC’s turning down openings...

3 hours ago, Fowl said:

What jobs has he put himself out there for?  I can't think of any that I have seen.

We are only going on what we see or hear from the media.  Perhaps Harsin has told schools not to make his name public and/or shot down inquiries immediately.

He wanted Texas Tech.  Before that, Oregon...there was another i can't remember off the top of my head.

14 hours ago, Rofl_copter_dos said:

harsin has put himself out there for multiple jobs.   It's never risen to the level of serious candidate interest and so (i think with maybe the exception of the Oregon job) his name has never been mentioned as seriously connected to any opening.  Personally i think it's the perception of boise as a place a monkey could win 10 games at kneecapping him.

I think this is exactly it. It's sort of like players that don't get credit for being as good as they are because they are a part of a perceived "system" where it is thought that anyone with minimal talent would succeed. I think this definitely happens with BSU, which probably only adds to the long term benefit of their program.

When P5's go looking, they are looking for the next young or hot "up and comer" or guy that seems to exceed the expectations of the place he is at. Look at how many total coaches have gone through Logan in the past 6 years or so...it's crazy to think that not only the head coaches but some of the top coordinators in the country made their name in Logan. Andersen brought in Dave Aranda and together they built a pretty stellar defense, then he takes Aranda with him to Wiscy and now Aranda is the highest paid coordinator in the land and LSU. Wells brings in Todd Orlando, who inherits a tons of defensive talent at USU, decides to learn the system that was in place instead of instilling his own and is now the DC for Texas using the same defense. Wells also brought in Josh Heupel as OC for a year, now HC at UCF....and on and on right up to this year with Wells, Yost, and Patterson (as well as pretty much the rest of the staff) leaving to TTU.

Where BSU is more of a household name/brand, it is expected that they will win 9-10 games every year so there is not a perception that their coaches are exceeding expectations even though they are very good at what they do.

14 hours ago, Rofl_copter_dos said:

harsin has put himself out there for multiple jobs.   It's never risen to the level of serious candidate interest and so (i think with maybe the exception of the Oregon job) his name has never been mentioned as seriously connected to any opening.  Personally i think it's the perception of boise as a place a monkey could win 10 games at kneecapping him.

picturing this one winning 10 games a season

557529_d3f5bdb885.jpg

On 1/9/2019 at 12:19 PM, mugtang said:

I think he was unique. He had a good thing going at BSU and didn’t see a need to change anything. He waited until the right fit opened up and he left for that job. 

Wells hiring at the salary and terms he got at TT is a huge head scratcher.  Guarantee Harsin is the better coach.  Obviously that hire only occurred because of the package deal of Yost.  Harsin may not be Petersen but he's head and shoulders better than Wells whose teams only got worse until his AD hired an OC over the top of him.  I think he was something like 2-12 in close games in the past 4 years including the CSU gift win.

35 minutes ago, BSU fan in Columbus said:

Any chance Harsin stays as long as Steve Spurrier's 12 year run at Florida or does he stay as long as Bowden and Paterno and builds a legacy and Statue of him after legendary career.To match Spurriers 122-27 record, Harsin will have to go 60-12 over the next 6-7 years.

Yes. Because no other school is stupid enough to pay him what Boise does and he gets an extension every year for coming in second. Gravy train. 

2 hours ago, NevadaFan said:

Yes. Because no other school is stupid enough to pay him what Boise does and he gets an extension every year for coming in second. Gravy train. 

It’s true..

He’s never going to get anything like Porterson’s dream scenario, as he’s just not good enough, which could ever rival all the benefits he has via job security with his alma matter...

However, he needs to quit letting the team shit the bed..  at a certain point, you need to take it to the bathroom every now and again, rather than defecating under the covers, like clockwork, once per year..

Moreover, I don’t think he’d ever survive a losing season, and rightfully so..

New-Signature.jpg

Jeff kills say Harsin goes 60-12 next 6-7 yrs wins another ny 6 bowl or 2 finishes ranked most years and never wins fewer than 9 games then what does the fanbase think after year 12 122-27 record 3-4 ny 6 bowl wins 9 top 25 finishes 11 mountain div titles 9 mwc titles never winning less than 9 games a year. would a 122-27 record after 12 years be equal or close to petes?

On 1/9/2019 at 12:14 PM, Rofl_copter_dos said:

Harsin just isn't making the final cuts.  He's thrown himself at multiple P5 jobs and been passed over.

xxx

On 1/10/2019 at 12:18 PM, hickaggie said:

Wells hiring at the salary and terms he got at TT is a huge head scratcher.  Guarantee Harsin is the better coach.  Obviously that hire only occurred because of the package deal of Yost.  Harsin may not be Petersen but he's head and shoulders better than Wells whose teams only got worse until his AD hired an OC over the top of him.  I think he was something like 2-12 in close games in the past 4 years including the CSU gift win.

DAMN IT...I had pretty much forgot about that debacle.  Thx for the stroll down memory lane.  :-(

On 1/10/2019 at 3:18 PM, hickaggie said:

I believe most of us recognize that USU got a major upgrade with Gary Anderson coming back to replace Wells.

bsu_retro_bsu_logo_helmet.b_1.jpg

1 hour ago, BSU fan in Columbus said:

Jeff kills say Harsin goes 60-12 next 6-7 yrs wins another ny 6 bowl or 2 finishes ranked most years and never wins fewer than 9 games then what does the fanbase think after year 12 122-27 record 3-4 ny 6 bowl wins 9 top 25 finishes 11 mountain div titles 9 mwc titles never winning less than 9 games a year. would a 122-27 record after 12 years be equal or close to petes?

What would you think?  I’d say quite obviously, but losing to AF 3 time in a row??  Probably need to be beating Fresno at home in the 2018 MWCG, on the Blue..

Seriously...

New-Signature.jpg

On 1/30/2019 at 10:12 PM, BSU fan in Columbus said:

BSU is like the Ohio State of the MWC despite winning 10 plus games a year it seems the fanbase wants more.For most teams in the conference, winning 10 games is a great year but not at BSU its just a average year especially with the tradition and success built over time.

Actually over the last 20 years the average is 11 wins a year at BSU.   10 is subpar.

3 hours ago, Red Ted Redemption said:

Like a whore with herpes no matter how desperate Harsin is for a P5 job savvy suitors decline his advances 

Do you really want to call Texas Texh a “savvy suitor”?

lamb-with-human-face-150331-670.jpg?itok

11 hours ago, BSU fan in Columbus said:

Harsin's bringing in a deep and talented class hopefully it will help solve those one game a year where we just don't play well.

What was that backer from BFE Idaho ranked out of high school? Give me kids like that one.