Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BSUTOP25

How Does the Board Feel About Authoritarian Smoking Bans and Age Discrimination?

8 hours ago, Joe from WY said:

If you can get sent overseas to get shot by Arabs or Pashtuns or whatever in some bizarre, ceaseless war, you ought to be able to use anything, honestly. 

And your description of the barracks is pretty inaccurate. Plenty stupid shit goes on there, with booze. I've never been in the military but most of my friends have done tours overseas with them; i've heard lots of stories. 

You get training on how to not be killed and how to kill. So it's a comparison I find wanting. 

Smokes? Idgaf

Booze? I care because of drinking and driving. Ideally the older you get the less prone you are to be stupid. 

47 minutes ago, BSUTOP25 said:

Raising the legal age to smoke won’t do a gottdamn thing to curb smoking. All those taxes and regs won’t either. But that’s not really the point here is it? Let’s just get to the truth ... hypocrites like you simply don’t like smoking because you find it gross so you put down those who do it while demonizing the industry that produces the products. Meanwhile, you’re totally cool with breweries, vineyards, and distilleries because those are hip and trendy.

As for me, I’m for lowering the drinking age to 18 like every other fukking civilized country on the planet. Because if an 18 year old wants to drink, they’re going to find a gottdamn way to do it. Just like they will with smoking. 

I challenge you to quote one post where I have said anything negative or restrictive about smoking.

I can't help it if you sometimes make stupid arguments.

20 minutes ago, renoskier said:

I challenge you to quote one post where I have said anything negative or restrictive about smoking.

I can't help it if you sometimes make stupid arguments.

The dots really aren’t that hard to connect. You get all butthurt and jump on me in this thread and don’t say a word to the commie. But like I mentioned earlier, teams and shit. 

bsu_retro_bsu_logo_helmet.b_1.jpg

4 minutes ago, BSUTOP25 said:

The dots really aren’t that hard to connect. You get all butthurt and jump on me in this thread and don’t say a word to the commie. But like I mentioned earlier, teams and shit. 

It has nothing to do with this topic, I'm just giving you shit because you said something stupid. You said "alcohol gets a free pass". It does not. And for some reason,you seem to be unwilling to admit that.

BTW, although I sometimes agree with BF, I don't usually jump into support him anymore than I jump in to support you when we agree.

16 minutes ago, renoskier said:

It has nothing to do with this topic, I'm just giving you shit because you said something stupid. You said "alcohol gets a free pass". It does not. And for some reason,you seem to be unwilling to admit that.

BTW, although I sometimes agree with BF, I don't usually jump into support him anymore than I jump in to support you when we agree.

What I said makes total sense. Smoking is being positioned as something deadly, a dark masked murderer being pushed on innocent young unsuspecting children by greedy evil capitalist tobacco companies. Alcohol on the other hand is hip, dilly dilly fun and all that. The regulatory difference between the two is that the drinking limit was ridiculously raised to 21 back in the 1980s ... and now the same is happening with tobacco and vape products. All to supposedly save the children, who are still going to get their hands on the shit regardless. 

Regarding Comrade fan, it’s not about “supporting” the personality but rather getting all lathered up on the issue. This crusade against smoking products is something that authoritarian commie latched onto because he hates the corporations that make money from the habit. I think it’s safe to assume you’re getting pissy on this thread because this age limit increase is primarily driven by Democrats.

Anyway, I’m going to bed. Goodnight.

bsu_retro_bsu_logo_helmet.b_1.jpg

21 minutes ago, BSUTOP25 said:

What I said makes total sense. Smoking is being positioned as something deadly, a dark masked murderer being pushed on innocent young unsuspecting children by greedy evil capitalist tobacco companies. Alcohol on the other hand is hip, dilly dilly fun and all that. The regulatory difference between the two is that the drinking limit was ridiculously raised to 21 back in the 1980s ... and now the same is happening with tobacco and vape products. All to supposedly save the children, who are still going to get their hands on the shit regardless. 

Regarding Comrade fan, it’s not about “supporting” the personality but rather getting all lathered up on the issue. This crusade against smoking products is something that authoritarian commie latched onto because he hates the corporations that make money from the habit. I think it’s safe to assume you’re getting pissy on this thread because this age limit increase is primarily driven by Democrats.

Anyway, I’m going to bed. Goodnight.

So is alcohol, it's just that those laws have already been pushed and passed.

I'm not "pissy" on this thread, just on your mistake.

Alcohol may be hip and dilly dilly fun, whatever that is, but it is also highly regulated. More regulated than cigarettes. And the regulations are actually enforced.

And I don't  give a shit what the "smoking age" and it really doesn't matter because there's never any enforcement anyway.

The drinking age was 18 in New York when I was growing up and I believe anyone old enough to die for us is old enough to drink or smoke.

goodnight.

2 hours ago, BSUTOP25 said:

UnimportantAssuredChital-max-1mb.gif

1 hour ago, BSUTOP25 said:

Regarding Boise fan, it’s not about “supporting” the personality but rather your responding to my arguments and pointing out their faults after I called you hoping you'd pick on him. My poorly crafted arguments are something that incredibly wise liberal responded to because I don't always think before I write. I think it’s safe to assume I don't know what I'm talking about, because I gloss over other people's posts if they don't outright agree with me..

So I’m going to bed. Goodnight.

jpozXCv.gif

51t4uwlffaL._SL160_SS150_.jpg324804241_0b7c67b2af_m.jpg

BCS is to Football what Fox News is to Journalism

9 hours ago, Joe from WY said:

There's plenty of bars in Florida that allow smoking inside. There's plenty that don't too. Sometimes I go to the ones I can smoke in. Sometimes I don't. Like I can go over to Salty's right now, drink Margaritas, and smoke Marlboro reds at the bar. Or, I could go to some Fern Bar downtown like Arcade and go smoke outside, because they don't allow it indoors. 

Personal choice is a beautiful thing. 

We are in jeopardy of losing personal choice here in Florida.  There's a bill in the Senate (218) proposing to ban smoking on the beaches. And calls for a 25$ fine or 10 hours community service if caught.

The beaches are becoming off limits. The customary use crsp that now let's condominium or home owners block off the portion of the beach that is directly behind their property to non owners has severely cut down on public access. 

7 hours ago, DestinFlPackfan said:

We are in jeopardy of losing personal choice here in Florida.  There's a bill in the Senate (218) proposing to ban smoking on the beaches. And calls for a 25$ fine or 10 hours community service if caught.

The beaches are becoming off limits. The customary use crsp that now let's condominium or home owners block off the portion of the beach that is directly behind their property to non owners has severely cut down on public access. 

Yeah no kidding. You guys really got it bad with that out on the panhandle. We had a whole week in Property Law class my 1L year where we talked about the aggressive nature of the Panhandle beach people. Very strange. 

Well, write your state senator. That's what I plan on doing. 

14 hours ago, bluerules009 said:

The conversation is about banning cigarette smoking, so why don't you consider some consistency and read before you post.

Conversations aren't rigidly defined homeskillet. Are you going to go after top 25 for making fun of Boise fan's communist philosophies?

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

On 1/8/2019 at 7:35 AM, Joe from WY said:

Both the age increases and the constant banning of where you can smoke at are dumb. Especially when it's blanket banned at bars. If an individual business wants to ban smoking in it, I'm cool with that, but when some whole municipality comes out and says "You can't smoke in bars, but also, you can't smoke on the sidewalk or in your house", then its trending into Commie territory IMO. 

But smokers are a minority in this country so by and large, people don't care if smokers are treated like shit. That's the gist of it all I guess. 

Bars and restaurants should be able to allow or ban smoking. I however would not patronize any establishment that allowed smoking. The smell is enough to keep me away irrespective of whatever health issues second hand smoke presents ( I'm unconvinced that there are any when exposed to the occasional smoke filled environment).  My guess is that most would keep the ban in place or find a way to install a segregated space for smokers.  I have no issue with vaping. 

“Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.”

-Richard Feynman

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators."

-P.J. O’Rourke

1 minute ago, SDSUfan said:

Bars and restaurants should be able to allow or ban smoking. I however would not patronize any establishment that allowed smoking. The smell is enough to keep me away irrespective of whatever health issues second hand smoke presents ( I'm unconvinced that there are any when exposed to the occasional smoke filled environment).  My guess is that most would keep the ban in place or find a way to install a segregated space for smokers.  I have no issue with vaping. 

I absolutely respect that. I'm all for individual businesses being able to set their policy. There's a market for both, and it makes sense that businesses should have the ability to adjust accordingly. 

There's times I want to go somewhere that isn't smoke filled. There's other times where I want to sit in a dark hovel with a loud jukebox, drink cocktails, and enjoy the haze of smoke hanging near the roof as well. I'm glad Florida is common sense enough to allow for such a choice. 

You can still smoke at the Iron Horse in Sonora. I'm not sure if they have some special permit as a private club or if they just flout the law and no one cares.  But I loved that when I was living there, and I don't even smoke. That place is a real hole, but it's the liveliest place in town after midnight.

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

As to age restrictions; if you're eligible for the draft than you are functionally an adult so my policy would be 18 for men for everything legal and 21 for women because they can't get drafted, can't hold their liquor and  generally aren't held responsible for their actions while under the influence.

“Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.”

-Richard Feynman

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators."

-P.J. O’Rourke

11 minutes ago, smltwnrckr said:

You can still smoke at the Iron Horse in Sonora. I'm not sure if they have some special permit as a private club or if they just flout the law and no one cares.  But I loved that when I was living there, and I don't even smoke. That place is a real hole, but it's the liveliest place in town after midnight.

Same at Rick's Saloon in Knight's Ferry. It's illegal but they told me they don't care. 

Iron Horse is great btw.