Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BSUTOP25

How Does the Board Feel About Authoritarian Smoking Bans and Age Discrimination?

I for one am against as I deem them ineffective and pointless. Raising the age from 18 to 21 isn't going to curb usage and will only put more pressure on store owners and law enforcement to monitor this shit. If a 16 year old wants some bubble gum or blue raspberry vape, they're going to get it ... just like with beer or weed. The rate of smoking has been in a free fall in this country for decades and the vape craze thing will probably face the same fate over time. In fact, I believe the social stigma of vaping in public will follow that of talking on speakerphone at a restaurant, in that it will eventually be and probably already is frowned upon. This type of legislation is yet another over-reaction by authoritarian statists. I personally don't vape and have never smoked ... never will. ButI roll my eyes at this garbage. 

bsu_retro_bsu_logo_helmet.b_1.jpg

Personally speaking, that legislation would have probably been good for me.  My smoking greatly increased when I turned 18, there was a gas station right next to my work that sold cigarettes, and smoking was a hell of a way to pass the time on slow days. It's a habit that took me several years to kick (vaping helped with that).

Ultimately I agree though. People should have a right to pick their own vices and are responsible for the consequences of those vices. 18 is a fine age to give them that right. I think it's stupid to have some things be legal at 18 and some things be legal at 21. A 19 year old is either an adult, or he isn't. There shouldn't be an in between. 

It's a dumb that  a 19 year old can be charged as an adult for being a minor in possession of alcohol.

Both the age increases and the constant banning of where you can smoke at are dumb. Especially when it's blanket banned at bars. If an individual business wants to ban smoking in it, I'm cool with that, but when some whole municipality comes out and says "You can't smoke in bars, but also, you can't smoke on the sidewalk or in your house", then its trending into Commie territory IMO. 

But smokers are a minority in this country so by and large, people don't care if smokers are treated like shit. That's the gist of it all I guess. 

Hyperbole of the OP and thread title aside, I believe if an 18 year old can be enlisted to fight on behalf of this country, they should be able to drink and smoke if they want to.

However, the tobacco industry has a long record of deliberately deceiving people about and doctoring their products.  There is no reason to believe that vape products aren't receiving the same treatment.

51t4uwlffaL._SL160_SS150_.jpg324804241_0b7c67b2af_m.jpg

BCS is to Football what Fox News is to Journalism

Smoking laws make me want to start smoking. Because eff them. 

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

If you can be tried as an adult you should have access, legally, to all of the benefits of an adult as well. 

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

34 minutes ago, smltwnrckr said:

Smoking laws make me want to start smoking. Because eff them. 

They're one of the reasons I started honestly. 

1 hour ago, Boise fan said:

Any producer or seller that greedily profits from smoking products should be gulaged immediately!

Commie gonna commie.

bsu_retro_bsu_logo_helmet.b_1.jpg

Guest #1Stunner

The DUI limit needs to be .05 in all States 

Smoking age should legally be 21, and drinking age 25.

You can be arrested for either smoking or drinking in Logan or Provo.

Of course, Utah is leading the way once again...

"if you can go to the army and die for your country you can x"

if you can get through bootcamp and be under constant supervision and orders and be in a group of people and live in barracks who make sure you don't do anything stupid with alcohol, then yes, it makes sense.

3 minutes ago, AndroidAggie said:

"if you can go to the army and die for your country you can x"

if you can get through bootcamp and be under constant supervision and orders and be in a group of people and live in barracks who make sure you don't do anything stupid with alcohol, then yes, it makes sense.

If you can get sent overseas to get shot by Arabs or Pashtuns or whatever in some bizarre, ceaseless war, you ought to be able to use anything, honestly. 

And your description of the barracks is pretty inaccurate. Plenty stupid shit goes on there, with booze. I've never been in the military but most of my friends have done tours overseas with them; i've heard lots of stories. 

11 minutes ago, Joe from WY said:

If you can get sent overseas to get shot by Arabs or Pashtuns or whatever in some bizarre, ceaseless war, you ought to be able to use anything, honestly. 

And your description of the barracks is pretty inaccurate. Plenty stupid shit goes on there, with booze. I've never been in the military but most of my friends have done tours overseas with them; i've heard lots of stories. 

Barracks are a beautiful balance of ill-tempered +++++ery and choatic bliss.  Fraternity houses are monasteries compared to an infantry barracks.

1 minute ago, East Coast Aztec said:

Barracks are a beautiful balance of ill-tempered +++++ery and choatic bliss.  Fraternity houses are monasteries compared to an infantry barracks.

That's pretty much what I've heard from everyone who has lived in them. 

1 minute ago, Joe from WY said:

That's pretty much what I've heard from everyone who has lived in them. 

My first night in the fleet, I saw a Corpsman have to stop, think, and then dilute the Jack Daniel's in his syringe before sticking a Marine who was banned from drinking by the platoon commander.  The stories that @sean327 could probably tell from his 20+ years could write a book Tucker Max would be impressed with. 

If health insurance/medicare has to pay for lung cancer treatment - then I think smoking should be heavily taxed, banned in most places, and the age raised to 21.

3 hours ago, Joe from WY said:

Especially when it's blanket banned at bars. If an individual business wants to ban smoking in it, I'm cool with that, but when some whole municipality comes out and says "You can't smoke in bars, but also, you can't smoke on the sidewalk or in your house", then its trending into Commie territory IMO. 

But smokers are a minority in this country so by and large, people don't care if smokers are treated like shit. That's the gist of it all I guess. 

If we go Joe's route and legalize everywhere, than I think, all smokers or employees of smoking-allowed establishments should be ineligible to receive medicare or health insurance coverage for their lung cancer treatment. Lung cancer costs about $5,000 to $10,000 per month to treat. 10% of smokers will develop lung cancer.  Employees of those establishments a little less than that.  That is a huge cost to society (especially one that has socialized healthcare for those 65+)

2 hours ago, happycamper said:

If you can be tried as an adult you should have access, legally, to all of the benefits of an adult as well. 

In some states that means an 8-year-old would be free to take a shot and light a Camel!

4 minutes ago, NVGiant said:

In some states that means an 8-year-old would be free to take a shot and light a Camel!

I wonder what impacts life expectancy more - starting to smoke at 8, or going to jail at 8?

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

31 minutes ago, bsu_alum9 said:

If health insurance/medicare has to pay for lung cancer treatment - then I think smoking should be heavily taxed, banned in most places, and the age raised to 21.

If we go Joe's route and legalize everywhere, than I think, all smokers or employees of smoking-allowed establishments should be ineligible to receive medicare or health insurance coverage for their lung cancer treatment. Lung cancer costs about $5,000 to $10,000 per month to treat. 10% of smokers will develop lung cancer.  Employees of those establishments a little less than that.  That is a huge cost to society (especially one that has socialized healthcare for those 65+)

I'm all for that so long as obese people are subject to the same restrictions, given they contribute the most to the burden of health care costs. 

That said, I didn't say "legalize everywhere". I said that it should be up to individual businesses to regulate as they see fit, not some blanket government mandate. You know, choice.