Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

RamSack

Game Thread: Alabama vs Clemson

4 minutes ago, Wyovanian said:

Guess I'm just not that emotionally invested in two teams I couldn't give two runny sh-ts about.

I want to see a competition. This is not competitive. This is not entertainment.

I have a deep loathing for Saban after the shit he pulled when he was the Dolphins coach.

1 minute ago, sebasour said:

Putting a Conference USA champ against a major P5 school is going to solve blowouts?

UAB got a chance against a team who barely broke .500 in the SEC and got murdered.

If the playoffs have proved anything, it's the lack of truly elite teams and the fact that we may not need expansion 

Is the lack of broader opportunity part of the reason there are just a handful of elite teams?  If there are more playoff spots would it help to spread more of the top talent around the college football landscape?

Guess someone is having trouble giving shits, runny or otherwise...

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

4 minutes ago, Dimwhit said:

If Clemson ends with a 99-yard TD drive, I'm going to laugh.

I think we're just going to see some kneel downs from the reserves to end the game. It's a shame though... I would have loved to see a 50 burger get dropped on Alabama.

Just now, NorthWestCowboy said:

Is the lack of broader opportunity part of the reason there are just a handful of elite teams?  If there are more playoff spots would it help to spread more of the top talent around the college football landscape?

This. 

Just now, retrofade said:

I have a deep loathing for Saban after the shit he pulled when he was the Dolphins coach.

Who gives a sh-t about the NFL? It's as much a farce as this playoff garbage. The NFL is to College Football as Miller Lite is to Melvin 2x4.

Image result for h.l. mencken quotes

5 minutes ago, NorthWestCowboy said:

No I think the larger issue is the dominance of The South and how it produces a majority of the high level high school talent in this country. The recruiting rankings are dominated by either The SEC or the southern ACC schools, and it's shown on the field as Ohio State is the only non southern team to win a title since 2005.

It's not due to a lack of chances for The BIg Ten, Pac 12, Big 12 or Notre Dame. All those schools are given plenty of paths to the playoff

2 minutes ago, Wyovanian said:

Who gives a sh-t about the NFL? It's as much a farce as this playoff garbage. The NFL is to College Football as Miller Lite is to Melvin 2x4.

Dude... I was explaining why I don't like Saban. I don't much care about the NFL these days, but Saban +++++ed the Dolphins over when he was the coach. 

I also think there's a cool dichotomy between Dabo and Saban. I think Dabo is immensely likable, while Saban has a very punchable face. 

13 minutes ago, Wyovanian said:

16 team playoff. 10 conference champs, 6 at-large.

Great minds think alike!

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

1 minute ago, sebasour said:

No I think the larger issue is the dominance of The South and how it produces a majority of the high level high school talent in this country. The recruiting rankings are dominated by either The SEC or the southern ACC schools, and it's shown on the field as Ohio State is the only non southern team to win a title since 2005.

It's not due to a lack of chances for The BIg Ten, Pac 12, Big 12 or Notre Dame

This

6 minutes ago, retrofade said:

I think we're just going to see some kneel downs from the reserves to end the game. It's a shame though... I would have loved to see a 50 burger get dropped on Alabama.

Yeah. I didn't expect them to be able to run out the close. 50 points would have been nice. But not giving Bama the ball back is nice, too.

7 minutes ago, NorthWestCowboy said:

Bingo

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

11 minutes ago, NorthWestCowboy said:

I can see why you'd want to think so but I don't really think it would make any difference; at least not enough to make a difference.

5 minutes ago, sebasour said:

It's not due to a lack of chances for The BIg Ten, Pac 12, Big 12 or Notre Dame. All those schools are given plenty of paths to the playoff

I don't disagree with this at all but I do think if the playoffs were expanded in time more schools would have at least a chance to recruit some of that top tier talent.  I'd sure like to find out.

12 minutes ago, NorthWestCowboy said:

No. He who hath the most $ wins. College players don’t get paid, but they do get compensated. The best players are going to go where they get the most in return. Clemson and bama have massive athletic budgets that dwarf everyone else’s and both devote the vast majority of those budgets to football. Players get the highest level coaching, nutrition, and training, all of which gives them the best chance to make the nfl. No one else can compete. Make it so all 130 teams make the playoffs and it won’t matter. 

Now, if the power 5 broke away from the ncaa and a) paid their players and b) created a revenue-sharing system a la the nfl, then college football would be fun again.

13 minutes ago, NorthWestCowboy said:

I don't disagree with this at all but I do think if the playoffs were expanded in time more schools would have at least a chance to recruit some of that top tier talent.  I'd sure like to find out.

I agree, look at where the majority of 5* recruits are committing to: teams that have made the playoff. Also expanded playoffs means more money for G5 schools.

All these playoffs have made clear is that, if you want to win or play for championships, you've got to get great bagmen. If MWC or Pac-12 or whomever teams threw around bags like the SEC/Clemsons of the world do, they'd be up on the stage too, probably. Of course, Football is Life in the South (which is +++++ing awesome), so maybe getting ample bags to hand out in an effort to woo the 'croots is an easier proposition here than in other parts of the country.