Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

UNLV2001

UNLV at New Mexico

It's early and all we did was beat some sh*tty teams in one of the weakest years the MWC has had EVER.........BUT...this is one of the first times I've ever seen UNLV improve and play good basketball mid-season. Unlike Rice, Menzies is actually coaching them up to get better as the season rolls along. 

When the f*ck did we become a clutch FT shooting team all of a sudden? 

Rebel18_zps27699187.gif

1 minute ago, Rebels18 said:

It's early and all we did was beat some sh*tty teams in one of the weakest years the MWC has had in EVER.........BUT...this is one of the first times I've ever seen UNLV improve and play good basketball mid-season. Unlike Rice, Menzies is actually coaching them up to get better as the season rolls along. 

When f*ck did we become a clutch FT shooting team all of a sudden? 

We should be 5-0 heading into our rematch with New Sexico.

1 minute ago, ph90702 said:

We should be 5-0 heading into our rematch with New Sexico.

Is it possible that UNLV has a let down game in one of the next two?

I dont think this team can just show up and win vs anybody...

6 minutes ago, LoboMan59 said:

Keith MaGee was healthy and ready to play as well, but Weir didn’t want to play him... weir just said nothing the guys did, just his decision not to play them and stick with Mathis, even though Vegas knew to press him hard.

Yep, McGee has played well. Coaching issue. Mathis is a catch and shoot. Not a floor general or play maker. Kiuper did nothing, Mathis built a house and handed over the ball too much, Maluach tried to make something happen while Drinnon and McGee sat, and Drinnon had a very good first half. Hell he played Pinchuk in the 2nd. PW 2nd half adjustment was to change everything that worked in the first. 

1 minute ago, qwelish said:

Is it possible that UNLV has a let down game in one of the next two?

I dont think this team can just show up and win vs anybody...

yes

1 minute ago, thatsmymammy said:

Yep, McGee has played well. Coaching issue. Mathis is a catch and shoot. Not a floor general or play maker. Kiuper did nothing, Mathis built a house and handed over the ball too much, Maluach tried to make something happen while Drinnon and McGee sat, and Drinnon had a very good first half. Hell he played Pinchuk in the 2nd. PW 2nd half adjustment was to change everything that worked in the first. 

Mathis is a hell of a three point shooter.  But he has a tendency to fall down, throw the ball away, make silly fouls.

But that kid can shoot.

1 minute ago, NMSU92 said:

Mathis is a hell of a three point shooter.  But he has a tendency to fall down, throw the ball away, make silly fouls.

But that kid can shoot.

Yes he can, I'm not taking that away from him. This is a complete coaching fail. 

Looking at the remaining schedule, this team has a path to 11 or 12 MW wins, possibly more if they keep playing like this, but knowing UNLV, they'll probably start 5-0 and end up 5-6 after 11 games. Please prove me wrong.

1 minute ago, Amaru523 said:

Looking at the remaining schedule, this team has a path to 11 or 12 MW wins, possibly more if they keep playing like this, but knowing UNLV, they'll probably start 5-0 and end up 5-6 after 11 games. Please prove me wrong.

They are still a fragile team and will finish anywhere from 2nd through 8th. This year doesn't matter anyway.  Just enjoy what you can.

3 minutes ago, Amaru523 said:

Im not gonna get too excited just yet. Im still not expecting more than 10-8. 

12-6 will get them 3rd in the MWC. 

I've ragged on Clyburn in the past, but he's been pretty good this year, 25 pts, 9 boards tonight. Rebs are 5-0 when he scores 17 or more. Robo had a very good game as well, 14 pts, 8 helpers.

Rebels have trailed at the half in each of the last 6 games, but are 4-2 in those games.

I'm still not sold on Menzies, but no one can say that his players don't fight, I haven't seen a Rebel team play this hard in a long time. As I've said before, I really like the team Marv is building.