Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Nevada Convert

Nevada Drops To......

Nevada Drops To .......  

76 members have voted

1. 1. Nevada Drops To........

Poll question. It’ll be really hard to predict how bad we’ll get punished, but regardless it ain’t going to be pretty. On the bright side, maybe this is a blessing in the long term, and this embarrassment will get the team to work harder and know that this could happen again unless they work hard and ignore any hype. I’m not sure what to predict. I’d say #13 to #17, and I’ll go with #16.

kat.jpg

17 minutes ago, Nevada Convert said:

Poll question. It’ll be really hard to predict how bad we’ll get punished, but regardless it ain’t going to be pretty. On the bright side, maybe this is a blessing in the long term, and this embarrassment will get the team to work harder and know that this could happen again unless they work hard and ignore any hype. I’m not sure what to predict. I’d say #13 to #17, and I’ll go with #16.

Thin it will be 13 at best, 16 at worst...........which in my humble opinion is more in line with where NV really is in the T25 

That game last night exposed a lot 

4 minutes ago, UNLV2001 said:

Thin it will be 13 at best, 16 at worst...........which in my humble opinion is more in line with where NV really is in the T25 

That game last night exposed a lot 

It's one game.  They can have a bad game and UNM can play lights out.  I'm not sure they were exposed as anything more than human.

Play again today and I still take the pack -7.

Just now, toonkee said:

It's one game.  They can have a bad game and UNM can play lights out.  I'm not sure they were exposed as anything more than human.

Play again today and I still take the pack -7.

True, but I've felt NV has been over ranked since the 1st week 

Now, would any MWC take a higher than warranted ranking? Absolutely - but that still doesn't mean NV wasn't ranked higher than they probably really warranted - Pretty sure NV's ranking was based mostly on returning all key players from a good last season and adding a 5* recruit. plus they are all experienced seniors 

Was the 1983 UNLV team that ran off 23-0 to start the season really warranted a #1 ranking that season?!?! Turned out probably not when put up against the other good teams from strong conferences 

If anything this game laid out a possible strategy to use against NV........but that means things have to go your way like they did for UNM and NV's key players have to have off nights 

Look at the NV roster - Nice group of players, no question........but aside from the Martin twins who came from a solid ACC/NC State program and the 5* recruit, not another player on that roster isn't a player any MWC team couldn't have landed.....they are transfers from programs considered below the MWC (S. Illinois, Portland, Wagner, Neb-Omaha, etc.)..............Don't see UNLV or SDSU or many fans getting excited about a player transferring in from Akron, Wisc-Milwaukee, USF, Idaho (Recent UNLV transfers) - Point being NV's roster isn't made up of players from Duke, Michigan, Arizona or any program that's considered high level D-1 

Sometimes a player from a lower level D-1 program really shines (SJSU to Gonzaga transfer Brandon Clarke or Portland to UNLV transfer Greg Anthony)...........but I'd wager people would get more excited about transfers from P5 programs coming into the MWC...............just like in recruiting, we'd like to see MWC programs recruit against P5 programs not beat out Idaho, Wagner, Akron or Neb-Omaha for players 

16 minutes ago, Aslowhiteguy said:

I think we were ranked too high to begin with and will fall farther than Kansas will, even though they now have 2 losses.

I guessed 14. But anywhere between 12-20 would be where I'd expect.

I'd expect the MWC loss to huirt more than Kansas B12 loss.........the P5 vs non-P5 factor 

NV will be fine, if anything this removes the pressure of running the table and showed the team they aren't unbeatable.......especially in the fashion it happened.........a last second 25 footer to beat NV is different than a 25 point game long dose of reality 

7 minutes ago, ProprietyofLeyluken said:

The inherent problem with the Nevada loss wasn't just that they got beat... 

Nevada got STARCHED... by a bad team.

I think they will be fortunate to maintain a ranking of any number. The MW is currently the #16 conference in the country, and that impacts Nevada too.

It’s about time for you to go away again. 

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

21 minutes ago, UNLV2001 said:

1 hour ago, UNLV2001 said:

True, but I've felt NV has been over ranked since the 1st week 

Now, would any MWC take a higher than warranted ranking? Absolutely - but that still doesn't mean NV wasn't ranked higher than they probably really warranted - Pretty sure NV's ranking was based mostly on returning all key players from a good last season and adding a 5* recruit. plus they are all experienced seniors 

Was the 1983 UNLV team that ran off 23-0 to start the season really warranted a #1 ranking that season?!?! Turned out probably not when put up against the other good teams from strong conferences 

If anything this game laid out a possible strategy to use against NV........but that means things have to go your way like they did for UNM and NV's key players have to have off nights 

Look at the NV roster - Nice group of players, no question........but aside from the Martin twins who came from a solid ACC/NC State program and the 5* recruit, not another player on that roster isn't a player any MWC team couldn't have landed.....they are transfers from programs considered below the MWC (S. Illinois, Portland, Wagner, Neb-Omaha, etc.)..............Don't see UNLV or SDSU or many fans getting excited about a player transferring in from Akron, Wisc-Milwaukee, USF, Idaho (Recent UNLV transfers) - Point being NV's roster isn't made up of players from Duke, Michigan, Arizona or any program that's considered high level D-1 

Sometimes a player from a lower level D-1 program really shines (SJSU to Gonzaga transfer Brandon Clarke or Portland to UNLV transfer Greg Anthony)...........but I'd wager people would get more excited about transfers from P5 programs coming into the MWC...............just like in recruiting, we'd like to see MWC programs recruit against P5 programs not beat out Idaho, Wagner, Akron or Neb-Omaha for players 

Here's the deal, though. If you, or Jeff Goodman, feel Reno should be ranked lower, that's fine, but you need to tell me which teams are better and why.  I see this a lot where people say a certain teams is really this or that, but with all due respect, it is meaningless without context.  

51 minutes ago, toonkee said:

Here's the deal, though. If you, or Jeff Goodman, feel Reno should be ranked lower, that's fine, but you need to tell me which teams are better and why.  I see this a lot where people say a certain teams is really this or that, but with all due respect, it is meaningless without context.  

We don't have any future NBA guys in our starting five.  With the possible exception of Jordan Brown, we don't have any on our roster.

How many other top 10 teams can say that?

We weren't a legit top 10 before the blowout.

We will likely go on a nice winning streak and slowly climb back up a few spots.

A four seed is still possible.

"Don't underestimate Joe Biden's ability to F@*k things up."

Barack Obama

Gut feeling says 13.  Nevada will get dinged, but the goodwill they've built up over the last season and a half will soften the blow

3 hours ago, UNLV2001 said:

I'd expect the MWC loss to huirt more than Kansas B12 loss.........the P5 vs non-P5 factor 

NV will be fine, if anything this removes the pressure of running the table and showed the team they aren't unbeatable.......especially in the fashion it happened.........a last second 25 footer to beat NV is different than a 25 point game long dose of reality 

There is concern. They played a weak non conference. Biggest win was either USC or Az St.  Given how shitty the conference is there are no good wins left, only bad losses. Given their short bench, it's likelier than not they'll get caught again.

One more conference loss and the at large is in jeopardy. They'll be like the rest of us,playing for a tourney championship.

Then it gets real ugly in Reno when the new money fans discover the crater Muss has left behind. I shall dub it the "Muss Mess"

“Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.”

-Richard Feynman

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators."

-P.J. O’Rourke

3 minutes ago, SDSUfan said:

There is concern. They played a weak non conference. Biggest win was either USC or Az St.  Given how shitty the conference is there are no good wins left, only bad losses. Given their short bench, it's likelier than not they'll get caught again.

One more conference loss and the at large is in jeopardy. They'll be like the rest of us,playing for a tourney championship.

Then it gets real ugly in Reno when the new money fans discover the crater Muss has left behind. I shall dub it the "Muss Mess"

They drop to a 3 seed here.  Another loss isn't an at-risk.  3 more and we can talk bubble.

My guess is 12. Which is probably about where they should have been anyway. They better fix their problems attacking a zone defense, or several more losses are on the horizon.

Given what Nevada did last year, this whole season is just window dressing. They need to just stay a top four or five seed and do well when they get to the Dance which will be the only thing that will be remembered. They can likely lose a couple more and stay a five seed. 

3 minutes ago, SDSUfan said:

Are you seriously saying if we went 29-2 going into the MW tourney, we'd need to win it to avoid the bubble?

8k3esKz.png