Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

fbpack

Rick Pitino to UCLA wow

4 minutes ago, NevadaFan said:

Poor Tark! Lol. Greatest coach of all time?  

But this narrative never mentions he was chit canned by his own admin for recruiting car jackers like Ackles and crack whores like Daniels at the apex of his career. Tark was fired because for some reason lots of people didn’t agree with him. 

This is the most idiot button- worthy post i've seen in awhile...

Untitled Jam 1 (1).png

8 minutes ago, NevadaFan said:

Poor Tark! Lol. Greatest coach of all time?  

But this narrative never mentions he was chit canned by his own admin for recruiting car jackers like Ackles and crack whores like Daniels at the apex of his career. Tark was fired because for some reason lots of people didn’t agree with him. 

tark, aka 'father flanagan' gave a lot of UNLV players that second chance, and turned around many lives in the process. but he just couldn't resist sweet pea, who could've been another michael jordan had he not had the addiction he did. but he tried.

and his 'admin' was the biggest crook in las vegas.

The problem really wasnt Tark at all. Bayno had a good chance to have an elite program here as well. The problem is if you have any weaknesses as far as will power is concerned-Las Vegas will expose it, and you! Vegas will leave you broke and dejected with your pockets bunny-eared out, naked to the world for all to see.

Daniels, Perry the fixer, Odom, even Bayno at that point and his dentist buddy. These people belonged in a backwater town doing nothing but basketball related activities. They could not handle Las Vegas.

42 minutes ago, qwelish said:

The problem really wasnt Tark at all. Bayno had a good chance to have an elite program here as well. The problem is if you have any weaknesses as far as will power is concerned-Las Vegas will expose it, and you! Vegas will leave you broke and dejected with your pockets bunny-eared out, naked to the world for all to see.

Daniels, Perry the fixer, Odom, even Bayno at that point and his dentist buddy. These people belonged in a backwater town doing nothing but basketball related activities. They could not handle Las Vegas.

the NCAA actually cleared Bayno of any knowledge or wrongdoing. What kind of 'friend' puts you in the position that Chapman put Bayno, by paying Odom $5000. (If you're going to pay someone off, at least make it worthwhile, lol.) But it was still soon after Tarkanian was ousted, and UNLV still couldn't get out of its own way. And Bayno did love the Vegas lifestyle, so it was probably only a matter of time :huh:. and there were still plenty of people that hung around UNLV basketball trying to be somebody.

Odom went to play for the sleazeball Jim Harrick at Rhode Island, and we know the rest.

22 minutes ago, 4UNLV said:

the NCAA actually cleared Bayno of any knowledge or wrongdoing. 

Bayno did love the Vegas lifestyle, so it was probably only a matter of time

What a recruiting class that would have been if Bayno and Odom could have kept their noses clean.

Pun intended

*wink*

6 hours ago, 4UNLV said:

Finally Tark had had enough and resigned, and then immediately tried to rescind his resignation. But Maxson was extremely jealous of all the attention Tark got here, and was collaborating with the NCAA, and wouldn't let Tark rescind it. that guy was the biggest enemy Tark had, right there in his own backyard.

There are several good stories on Maxson’s jealously towards Jerry, UNLV’s basketball success.  For example, in the summer of 1990 Jerry, Maxson, some other UNLV officials were in Chicago to meet with the NCAA over UNLV’s appeal of the sanctions to get them eligible for the 91 tournament.

When they were waiting to board their flight back to Vegas at O’Hare a youngster noticed Jerry and wanted his picture taken with him.

He had no clue who Maxson was and handed the camera to him and asked him to take his picture with Jerry.  Maxson stewed the whole flight back.

Then there was the debacle with the Supercomputer announcement.  Maxson was excited for weeks over this which had been worked on for years, and the school had planned a ceremony for it right around the date UNLV won the national title.

Obviously everyone in town was excited, just wanted to talk about UNLV winning the national title.  Maxson knew the ceremony would get little coverage, attention, and had to delay it for several weeks until May.  He was peeved the entire time because the Rebels won the national title which delayed his Supercomputer glory.

7 hours ago, 4UNLV said:

Yep. UCLA was the reason WHY the NCAA went after Tark, after he wrote the letter while he was at Long Beach saying the NCAA should look at the cheating UCLA was doing. UCLA and the LA Times went after him with a vengeance for that. Their AD created stuff out of thin air about Tark and UNLV, and the NCAA just threw the book at him, without any proof whatsoever. That's why he won in court.

That is very true that UCLA was the driver behind Jerry’s problems with the NCAA.  One slight correction.

I know it has been mentioned for years that Jerry’s infamous column going after the NCAA in the Long Beach Press Telegram is what started it all.

That column where he attacked the NCAA for not going after the big boys ran in the middle of January 1973.  The NCAA actually began looking into Jerry/Long Beach, following Long Beach’s near upset of the mighty Bruins in the 71 tournament at JD Morgan’s (then UCLA AD) request.  There has never been a more powerful AD in the history of intercollegiate athletics than Morgan.  This came out years later during the court proceedings.

Wooden use to watch Long Beach’s games when he could when they would air on TV in Southern California at the time.  He rarely did that at the time.  Following the scare in 71 they were getting very nervous in Westwood.

Jerry’s biggest problem, “crime”, was he made Long Beach too good, too fast, and the Bruins weren’t happy about it.  Especially given it was in their own backyard.

11 minutes ago, Ernie Baer said:

That is very true that UCLA was the driver behind Jerry’s problems with the NCAA.  One slight correction.

I know it has been mentioned for years that Jerry’s infamous column going after the NCAA in the Long Beach Press Telegram is what started it all.

That column where he attacked the NCAA for not going after the big boys ran in the middle of January 1973.  The NCAA actually began looking into Jerry/Long Beach, following Long Beach’s near upset of the mighty Bruins in the 71 tournament at JD Morgan’s (then UCLA AD) request.  There has never been a more powerful AD in the history of intercollegiate athletics than Morgan.  This came out years later during the court proceedings.

Wooden use to watch Long Beach’s games when he could when they would air on TV in Southern California at the time.  He rarely did that at the time.  Following the scare in 71 they were getting very nervous in Westwood.

Jerry’s biggest problem, “crime”, was he made Long Beach too good, too fast, and the Bruins weren’t happy about it.  Especially given it was in their own backyard.

This thread has turned very informative.  Thanks. 

7 hours ago, Wolverine said:

4UNLV, serious question.  I always liked Tark and thought he was great for college basketball.  When I first started teaching and coaching in the mid 80's, I attended a Nike coaching clinic in Vegas every year for about 10 years.  Tark was one of my favorite sessions to attend.  I also taught and coached near Fresno for a couple of years years while he as at Fresno State.  Thought he did a great job there as well.  I never paid attention in detail for all that went down in Tark's battle with the NCAA.  Just read all the "on the surface" stuff about how much he "cheated" and of course the infamous hot tub photo of the players and that gambler.  So my sincere question, did Tark run a "clean" program, or were there a lot of things done where one just looked the other way, or a lot was swept under the rug, as was (and still is) the case at a lot of the major, successful programs?  I'm not looking for a complete history lesson in your response, just a simple in context response.  Thanks!  Btw, your contributions to this board are outstanding.  When we all strip away all of our "smart-assedness" as posters on this board, IMO, you rank as one of the best.

Jerry was always very open and honest about his relationship with his players, his openness to helping them within reason.  For example, if one of his players really needed to get home and was broke (many of his players came from rough upbringings), sure the airfare would get taken care of for them.

Would they occasionally pay for player’s meal, yes.  Consider this though, when he was at Long Beach their player’s daily meal allowance was $3.70 a player, at UCLA it was over $16 a player.  When Long Beach played UCLA in the NCAA tournament and we saw them at the airport their players were dressed to the nines in fancy suits and expensive luggage.  Long Beach players arrived in their letterman jackets and athletic bags as luggage.  Where was the fairness?

He felt providing some support to his players was humanitarian.  His issue was if say a Math professor paid for one of their students airfare to get home, or paid for a meal if they were hungry, the university would probably give them an award. If a coach did that the NCAA considered them a cheat.  He never understood that logic.  He felt coaches like everyone else should be able to help students, in this case student/athletes.

He always drew the line though when it came to outright paying a recruit/player.  That never happened.  His mindset was if you basically bought a player the player would have no respect for you.  It would be extremely hard to coach them.

I could rattle off several names going back to his time at Long Beach in the 70’s whose parents/handlers demanded money for their kid/player to agree to play for him and he passed.  He never played that game.

As for the NCAA I could write pages on them.  One thing to consider though is player retribution.  The NCAA used information provided to them by Ernie Douse for much of their support for the Long Beach sanctions and Ricky Collier (Lloyd’s best friend on the team) for the second round of UNLV sanctions.  Both of those players had axes to grind as they felt they did not receive the playing time they thought the deserved, things had not panned out as they had planned.

Jerry had numerous players provide sworn affidavits supporting him and the NCAA would ignore them.  A good portion of the conversations they had during their investigation weren’t documented, they relied on their "memory." The primary investigator on the case David Berst told several of Jerry friends like Loel Schrader and Vic Weiss, “I’m going to get your friend, I’ll get him no matter what it takes.”

1 hour ago, Ernie Baer said:

Thanks, I do remember hearing later from Tark about how Wooden had pushed the NCAA on to him at Long Beach after LB almost beat UCLA, and yes, it would have taken a minute for the NCAA to get onto him enough to get Tark to write his letter.

I do know my ex's uncle in Pasadena HATED him for threatening that UCLA dynasty, lol.

8 hours ago, NevadaFan said:

“Tarkanian was a basketball junkie with a disdain for rules that impeded him. He was about the scoreboard, the money, the wins. He wasn’t larger than life at all. He was just life, lived exactly his own way.”

---Robert Maxson

:P

Or the LA Times.

8 hours ago, NevadaFan said:

602419F6-BFE8-48D4-8DD9-A132A52E9E35.jpeg

That photo sort of contradicts the rhetoric above it.

Just sayin..

13 hours ago, qwelish said:

...which is a problem for UNLV when it comes to recruiting and hiring. Their are a lot of parents who don't want their kids going there, and a lot of coaches' wives who don't want to live there.

Image result for h.l. mencken quotes

29 minutes ago, Wyovanian said:

...which is a problem for UNLV when it comes to recruiting and hiring. Their are a lot of parents who don't want their kids going there, and a lot of coaches' wives who don't want to live there.

I guarantee you that many more coaches wives would prefer Vegas to Bumfuk, Wyoming!!!

Untitled Jam 1 (1).png

10 hours ago, NevadaFan said:

“Tarkanian was a basketball junkie with a disdain for rules that impeded him. He was about the scoreboard, the money, the wins. He wasn’t larger than life at all. He was just life, lived exactly his own way.”

602419F6-BFE8-48D4-8DD9-A132A52E9E35.jpeg

This pic never gets old. I've always loved how UNLV fans regale us with stories of Tark's innocence and squeaky clean actions.. Apparently he was just ignorant and a pure victim to the atrocities going on at UNLV.. 

BTW, if the "Fixer" was a real pimp, he'd have women in that hot tub, not just 4 dudes..

Image result for richard perry the fixer mug shot