Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

fbpack

Rick Pitino to UCLA wow

Just now, tahoe84 said:

Hearing this from where?

The other Rick Pitino thread....

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

Yeah, but this is also from the article:

"What would have to happen is the UC Board of Regents would have to approve of Pitino," the source said. "That's the issue. That's where the viability comes in because if the Regents shoot him down, then Pitino's out."

Not everyone is convinced UCLA would actually hire Pitino.

"I can’t see UCLA Deans and Professors and the UC System signing off on Pitino given the trail of carnage," said a second source close to UCLA "The risk is so great that other skeletons can unexpectedly fall out of the sky."

Meantime, several other names have been linked to the UCLA opening.

"It sounds more like a [Fred] Hoiberg or an [Eric] Musselman, or one of those guys," the first source said of who is favored after Pitino.

Hoiberg, 46, was fired last month by the Chicago Bulls and could be an appealing option. Still, he built Iowa State into a Sweet 16 team by relying heavily on transfers, and it's not clear that approach would be viable at UCLA, which has traditionally recruited blue bloods out of high school. (Hoiberg's former assistant, Matt Abdelmassih, has helped rebuild St. John's largely by relying on transfers.)

Hoiberg may also be more inclined to wait for an NBA opening after the season, a source close to him told ZAGSBLOG.

“There will be openings in the NBA… I think he will consider that first," the source said. "Chicago owes Fred 5 million this year and next… he will be in no rush.”

Musselman, 54, might end up being the best option. He played college ball at San Diego and has coached in college, the NBA (with the Warriors and Kings) and overseas in China, the Dominican Republic and Venezuela.

He is 95-29 in his career at Nevada, including a 14-0 mark this season. Because his current team has several fifth-year transfers, leaving after this season might be ideal.

Edit: here is the link: Forbes UCLA - Rick Pitino

Assuming this is where OP is getting his information. 

1 minute ago, fbpack said:

Screenshot_2019-01-04-12-23-58.png

"Powerful UCLA boosters..." wanting Rick Pitino & UC Board of Regents approving Pitino are 180* apart.

19 minutes ago, brillio said:

How good are the hookers in Westwood? 

Let's just say you get your money's worth

Because $20 in 1874 is roughly $442 in 2019.

2 hours ago, soupslam1 said:

Pathetic that some boosters at UCLA want to win at any cost.

Yes it is. I wonder what Bill Walton thinks about it?

37 minutes ago, TheTedfordTrain said:

Nice try. @ph90702 knows the real top choice. 

Rick Pitino is the best coach they can get right now.  They’re not luring anybody worthwhile away from another P5 job.  My reservation about him is that trouble tends to follow people.

1 hour ago, BacksThePack said:

There goes Mug changing thread titles for clicks again!

Not me. 

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater