Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

lawofthejunglenv

#6 Nevada at New Mexico

8 hours ago, slappy said:

Just glad we don’t have to hear the 45-0 talk anymore.  Thankful Reno got beat.  

I ignored all that undefeated noise.  There have been plenty of great teams in the MWC that haven't come close to going undefeated.  Way too many long road trips to deal with.

1 minute ago, retrofade said:

+++++ing SJSU.

They aren’t helping! But Can’t blame San Jo for being San Jo. It’s what our typically stronger programs did in OOC play that has weighed the conference down. It is what it is and we all have to navigate that. 

9 minutes ago, Swoll Cracker said:

I ignored all that undefeated noise.  There have been plenty of great teams in the MWC that haven't come close to going undefeated.  Way too many long road trips to deal with.

True. I never really thought it was going to happen. But I think the talk was from a combination of Nevada’s quality and the current weakness of the conference that made it a popular topic of discussion. Hopefully this resets And refocuses Nevada.

18 minutes ago, NVGiant said:

They aren’t helping! But Can’t blame San Jo for being San Jo. It’s what our typically stronger programs did in OOC play that has weighed the conference down. It is what it is and we all have to navigate that. 

True enough. We apologize for the UVU loss... that was sad. We should have beaten Miami as well. Ugh.

Though I guess we're not one of the typically stronger programs either... I'm hopeful that we'll be that moving forward though.

1 hour ago, NVGiant said:

True. I never really thought it was going to happen. But I think the talk was from a combination of Nevada’s quality and the current weakness of the conference that made it a popular topic of discussion. Hopefully this resets And refocuses Nevada.

Popular general ignorance on the travel grind in this conference.

A lot of respect for Weir changing defenses and it being this effective, especially at this point in the season.  Will be interesting to see how effective it is as coaches get more film, but at least as of now just what the doctor ordered.  Just another example that coaching matters.   

2 hours ago, soupslam1 said:

Hard to believe Nevada got beat that bad. UNM must have been on fire and Nevada’s poor perimeter shooting came home to roost. Probably a good thing to get humbled and lose the pressure of being perfect. I pity their next opponent. 

Hopefully Nevada swallows this and learns from it but damn.... when will New Mexico stop shitting the bed in OOC then turn around and dominate conference play? This is a terrible loss on paper but they actually looked pretty damn good. Not the 7-6 trash we have seen all season. It would be nice if UNM plays like this the rest of the season but knowing our luck, they will come back to earth and lose a few games ....

5 hours ago, Chile_Ute said:

Good to see Weir able to shift around and change approach.  Sign of a coach that will continue to grow.

He mentions that here in his post game...

"Make a mistake once and it becomes a lesson, make the same mistake twice and it becomes a choice."

Looks like what I said before conference started came to pass for NV - Said, only way they could lose was if the twins have a bad game & the transfers revert to playing at the level of their former schools..........sure enough, Martin goes 2-12/13/14, The other Martin get next to nothing and the rest became like they were at Wagner, Portland, Neb-Omaha etc. for a reason

Caroline was the only one of the main 3 to put up any numbers.

A bad shooting night would sink a lot of teams regardless of ranking ( UNLV faces this every game :( )

Strangest thing was seeming lack of PT for the McD's AA 5* recruit and that Muss shortened the bench quite a bit.

Nevada still the team to beat by far in the MWC - The Pack just had the wrong things happen in the same game and that cost them 

Honestly think if NV falls to 14-16 in rankings that would be a more accurate ranking than 5 or 6 - Last night exposed some faults in Nevada that teams with equal talent could exploit come NCAAT time 

Credit to New Mexico though for playing a full complete game - Admit I was waiting for NV to close the gap up till about under 5 mins but the lead ballooned from 13-15 to 20 and then it just got to be too much to overcome so late in the game 

Man bun twins struggled so much because we hounded them on the perimeter all night and denied dribble penetration with our length in the 3-2 zone. I honestly don't even think Nevada played that poorly. They fought hard and tried a bunch of different things. We just didn't let them do what they normally do. Our length really seemed to bother them.

7 hours ago, soupslam1 said:

Hard to believe Nevada got beat that bad. UNM must have been on fire and Nevada’s poor perimeter shooting came home to roost. Probably a good thing to get humbled and lose the pressure of being perfect. I pity their next opponent. 

SJSU haha

1 hour ago, TopLobo said:

Man bun twins struggled so much because we hounded them on the perimeter all night and denied dribble penetration with our length in the 3-2 zone. I honestly don't even think Nevada played that poorly. They fought hard and tried a bunch of different things. We just didn't let them do what they normally do. Our length really seemed to bother them.

Lazy passes and missed free throws was definitely them playing poorly. I give credit to Mexico for playing a complete game and the best game by far they played this season completely socked A Nevada team that did not look prepared and looked way too tired than they should be. 

Hopefully must make some adjustments but he can’t keep riding his starting five until the last 2 minutes each game. The bench should’ve been subbing more when Nevada was up so much against Utah state.

12 hours ago, retrofade said:

True enough. We apologize for the UVU loss... that was sad. We should have beaten Miami as well. Ugh.

Though I guess we're not one of the typically stronger programs either... I'm hopeful that we'll be that moving forward though.

Nothing for anybody to apologize for. I think both Fresno and Utah State have been better than their preseason expectations. Others have not. Shit happens. 

1 hour ago, cardrater said:

Lazy passes and missed free throws was definitely them playing poorly. I give credit to New Mexico for playing a complete game and the best game by far they played this season completely socked A Nevada team that did not look prepared and looked way too tired than they should be. 

Hopefully must make some adjustments but he can’t keep riding his starting five until the last 2 minutes each game. The bench should’ve been subbing more when Nevada was up so much against Utah state.

FIFY

These aren’t Craig Neal Lobos that get worse as the season drags on and the team hates their coach and his whelp more daily. Paul Weir spends the OoC getting his whole team ready for conference and tourney play and they will continue to improve. Anthony Mathis should be lighting candles to PW pix for rescuing him from the Neal family quest for NBA career for the whelp. 

16 hours ago, TopLobo said:

Off topic - I really hate the man buns. Horrible look

"You pukin morons are just plain too dumb."

-bluerules008 aka jibscout aka Hal "Mosquito Man" Newman

Not a surprising result.  Pit is a tough place to play and Reno is extremely overrated.  Good game by the Lobos but not some extraordinary effort.  Reno has many flaws that will continue to be exposed as they surge towards a disappointing end to their dream season.

Maybe Reno letting a Make-A-Wish kid coach the team all game had an effect on the outcome.