Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

lawofthejunglenv

#6 Nevada at New Mexico

This is another game that makes me nervous.  But so long as we're not down by more than 25, I think we'll be okay.

Nevada should win by 20+ at the pit. UNM isn't the same as the past with loses to NMSU, UNT, Penn and SMC at home.

Nevada cruises 96-73

A re-enactment of the game that got Noodle canned.

We just aren't that good this year. I could see UNM making a late season run when we gel, but right now we just aren't good. Add that Nevada is pretty darn good with experience and this equals a Lobo loss. However, crazy things happen in the Pit and that gives me a little bit of hope. 

Nevada will tear a new asshole in the Lobo press. Nevada loves to get out and run and a press plays right into their hands. The smart way to play Nevada is slow the game way down and play a zone the whole game. I can’t see this game being close. 

Someday I’m gonna drive down for a game at the pit. Just thinking of already being home when the game ends versus a six hour drive home is what’s stopping me 

6 hours ago, soupslam1 said:

Nevada will tear a new asshole in the Lobo press. Nevada loves to get out and run and a press plays right into their hands. The smart way to play Nevada is slow the game way down and play a zone the whole game. I can’t see this game being close. 

UNM doesn’t press anymore. Weir changed up his defensive scheme. Teams with good fast guards were killing us, and easily beating the press, cause UNM is too tall and too slow.

So Weir is now meeting the offense at half court, then dropping back into a zone defense. Any variation of a 1/2/2, 2/3, or a traditional 2/1/2 zone, now that he can play Bragg in the middle.

He’s also switched up the offense a bit too. If they can run, they will. But he’s now going with an outside, inside, outside scheme. He wants the team to get the ball inside to Bragg or Pinchuk, but kick out if they can’t find a shot. UNM was whistled for 3, 3 second violations against the AFA, trying to stay inside the paint.

So, you’ll definitely see the Lobos playing zone against Nevada, and not as much pressing all game long like he did last year, and has tried to do this year. Ive got to give him credit for realizing what he has and doesn’t have, and adjusting. He also knows he can’t run and gun with your team and has to slow it down against Nevada.

My biggest concern is UNM’s turnovers, they throw the ball away, or make lazy/bad passes inside, or back out a lot!  This team does NOT take care of the ball, and it’s like they’re playing together for the first time all over again sometimes, it just baffles me how they don’t know each other’s game by now!? 

UNM has the size to play with Nevada, but not the speed or defensive intensity they’ll need to beat the Wolfpack... Nevada by at least 10-15 in this game.

7 hours ago, LoboMan59 said:

UNM doesn’t press anymore. Weir changed up his defensive scheme. Teams with good fast guards were killing us, and easily beating the press, cause UNM is too tall and too slow.

So Weir is now meeting the offense at half court, then dropping back into a zone defense. Any variation of a 1/2/2, 2/3, or a traditional 2/1/2 zone, now that he can play Bragg in the middle.

He’s also switched up the offense a bit too. If they can run, they will. But he’s now going with an outside, inside, outside scheme. He wants the team to get the ball inside to Bragg or Pinchuk, but kick out if they can’t find a shot. UNM was whistled for 3, 3 second violations against the AFA, trying to stay inside the paint.

So, you’ll definitely see the Lobos playing zone against Nevada, and not as much pressing all game long like he did last year, and has tried to do this year. Ive got to give him credit for realizing what he has and doesn’t have, and adjusting. He also knows he can’t run and gun with your team and has to slow it down against Nevada.

My biggest concern is UNM’s turnovers, they throw the ball away, or make lazy/bad passes inside, or back out a lot!  This team does NOT take care of the ball, and it’s like they’re playing together for the first time all over again sometimes, it just baffles me how they don’t know each other’s game by now!? 

UNM has the size to play with Nevada, but not the speed or defensive intensity they’ll need to beat the Wolfpack... Nevada by at least 10-15 in this game.

Do you expect a big student crowd? 

13 minutes ago, battle.borne said:

Do you expect a big student crowd? 

Naw. The usual small student section I would imagine. It’s one of the smallest student sections in the MW, not like it used to be. There doesn’t seem to be any kind of real organization for turning students out.

It’s pathetically small for football, and just ok for basketball, maybe a couple hundred give or take? Their section is just to the right of the north end basket, in front of, and behind where the band is. There is usually plenty of seating behind the band.

15 hours ago, Lobonado said:

We just aren't that good this year. I could see UNM making a late season run when we gel, but right now we just aren't good. Add that Nevada is pretty darn good with experience and this equals a Lobo loss. However, crazy things happen in the Pit and that gives me a little bit of hope. 

Not so much anymore. When was the last time a crazy thing happened in The Pit...unless it was a 'bad crazy'.

2 hours ago, LoboSage said:

Not so much anymore. When was the last time a crazy thing happened in The Pit...unless it was a 'bad crazy'.

There was a 25-point second half comeback just two years ago.  I thought that was pretty good. :thumbsup:

Fenner got away with a moving screen in regulation on that Marshall 3 in front of our bench. 

3 hours ago, NVGiant said:

There was a 25-point second half comeback just two years ago.  I thought that was pretty good. :thumbsup:

Yeah... this is the “bad crazy” LoboSage was referring to.

I have faith in Wier, he will get our guys to complete. Nevada is just a superior team and should take care off business. I’m a little disappointed with how the season has started off however.  I hope things go much better for conference. 

Join us on a trip to Fresno State as the Pack takes on the Bulldogs.

About this Event

The bus trip to Fresno includes game tickets, drinks on the bus and a Muss Bus T Shirt. This bus is NOT GUARANTEED to go to the game UNLESS we get 50 or more people to sign up by Tuesday, Jan 9th. Tell your friends and come join us!

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/strengthen-the-pack-wolf-pack-bus-2-tickets-54390979885?aff=affiliate1&fbclid=IwAR0IbKysDrZTrS2U54Bb8DdTxCNOV0JbDuKge2kY3VWaHk5IUsxWZa23BXw

I’ll be at the game this evening with friends. If anyone on this board wants to say a quick howdy at the game... hit me up. 

I’ll send a couple snap shots of the game as well.

i love the way the mwc starts their confrence games on week zero.the big west needs to step their game up.

20 minutes ago, kalua pig said:

i love the way the mwc starts their confrence games on week zero.the big west needs to step their game up.

fullerton will go all choo choo vs hawaii cuz.