Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

retrofade

Will Trump Declare a National Emergency to build the WALL tonight?

Just now, Old_SD_Dude said:

Certainly not the case with Iranian engineers. The ranks of transportation engineers in both the public and private sector, in California at least, are full of civil engineers from Tehran University. The PE exam in CA is the toughest in the country. They have to pass it and are evidently prepared to do so. 

True dat. The engineering profession is replete with Persians.

What I've seen is related more to architects and people in the medical industry.

Boom goes the dynamite.

1 hour ago, NorCalCoug said:

I will chime in on this one...  doesn’t seem like it would be too hard to swim out 100 feet and around the wall.

But generally speaking, the argument that a wall doesn’t work or isn’t a deterrent is about as stupid as it gets.

I am imagine a lot of productive meetings discussing just how far out in the water to go.  Is it 50 feet, 100 feet?  Get the distance wrong and the caravans will overwhelm the beach.

2 hours ago, pokerider said:

OK, so in your view this partial wall here is inefficient?  It should be torn down then and we can just hire hundreds more border patrol agents instead?  

Walls don't keep everyone out, but they keep most people from getting in easily.  

Where the border fence meets the sea, a strange beach scene contrasting the U.S. and Mexico

This is the section on the SD/TJ boundary obviously. It's typically circumvented by groups of people in a panga, which is a small skiff used by Baja fishermen. Many are caught, but the discovery of an empty panga at dawn on a SoCal beach is routine.

Thay Haif Said: Quhat Say Thay? Lat Thame Say

2 hours ago, Old_SD_Dude said:

Certainly not the case with Iranian engineers. The ranks of transportation engineers in both the public and private sector, in California at least, are full of civil engineers from Tehran University. The PE exam in CA is the toughest in the country. They have to pass it and are evidently prepared to do so. 

They go to CSU for water resources and Wyoming for mechanical engineering too. 

I always thought it was funny that California has a specific geotech exam. Transportation, structural, surveying, sure. But geotech? The band of states from more or less the Missouri to the Wasatch all have soils as or more challenging as any in California with the added bonus that, uh, it gets cold here and frost protection is necessary. Of course expansive soils cause more property damage than all natural disasters combined, so maybe everyone should have an extra geotech test. 

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

8 minutes ago, happycamper said:

They go to CSU for water resources and Wyoming for mechanical engineering too. 

I always thought it was funny that California has a specific geotech exam. Transportation, structural, surveying, sure. But geotech? The band of states from more or less the Missouri to the Wasatch all have soils as or more challenging as any in California with the added bonus that, uh, it gets cold here and frost protection is necessary. Of course expansive soils cause more property damage than all natural disasters combined, so maybe everyone should have an extra geotech test. 

My understanding is that the issues driving that are related to seismicity and liquefaction.

Thay Haif Said: Quhat Say Thay? Lat Thame Say

1 minute ago, Old_SD_Dude said:

My understanding is that the issues driving that are related to seismicity and liquefaction.

Ah so earthquakes again, that makes sense. Soil structure interaction is not real heavily covered elsewhere. 

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

6 minutes ago, sandiegopete said:

As I posted on another thread, if Trump can get away with claiming immigrants from Mexico create a national emergency then some other president could declare gun deaths a national emergency and circumvent Congress to institute gun control measures. 

Yep...

On 1/8/2019 at 6:01 PM, retrofade said:

Here's a counterfactual from Rick Wilson exploring the potential future implications of a declaration of a national emergency for a WALL.

1/ A whole bunch of formerly conservative -- now Trumpist -- think tanks better get ready to pull down all their articles opposing eminent domain seizures.

2/ While they're at it, they might want to scrub all the policies about Obama' untrammeled abuse of executive power.

3/ Also, let's skip that whole "rule of law" question from now on, ok? 
The new standard of "conservatism" is being set tonight, and since Washington's Vichy GOP policy establishment dropped their petticoats to keep the Trumpists happy, they might as well go all the way.

4/ A phony crisis to pretend to build a vaporware wall is totes worth it, though! After all, precedents NEVER stick, right? 
The key lesson of Trumpism a Cartmanesque gunt of "Ah do what ah wannnnt!" So when there's a Democratic president, y'all just sit down and color.

5/ Since the Tucker-Hannity Dental Purity brigade is heavily in my TL, I'll give you a counterfactual scenario. (Google it, Trumpist dolts)

6/ It's January 2021. Donald Trump choked on a KFC chicken bone or died in an autoerotic asphyxiation game gone wrong. 
Doesn't matter how. For this scenario, we have a shiny new Democratic President. 
Call her, just for the sake of argument, Kamala Warren.

7/ She sweeps into the Oval Office and asks for a national TV address to declare a state of emergency. 
"My fellow Americans: the crisis of climate change can no longer be ignored, and Congress will not act fast enough."

8/ "Powerful forces are at work, and by any standard this crisis is an emergency, so following the precedent set by President Trump, I am today declaring the following actions.
First, the Federal government will immediately seize certain oil and natural gas facilities and lands.

9/ "All refining facilities will be closed. Oil and natural gas lands will be repurposed for solar and wind power only, and we will offer job retraining for their owners. The Federal government will control these lands in perpetuity to prevent additional damage to the climate. "

10/ "This is a hard step, and we do not take it lightly, by as President Trump seized hundreds of thousands of acres of land under eminent domain, we have followed his precedent to the letter, because the climate emergency demands it."

11/ "To prevent any illegal drilling, I am ordering the U.S. military to build appropriate walls, fences, minefields, and other security structures around these lands and facilities. 
Walls work, in the words of President Trump, and this emergency demands them."

12/ "We will also take Federal action to end the lawless behavior of Carbon Sanctuary States. Because of this emergency, Federal power must Trump (hehe) the rights of the states. It's an *emergency*.
Carbon Sanctuary States endanger us all, and they must be brought to heel."

13/ See how this goes? 
I could go on, and on, and on, but once you open these doors, other people will walk through them. Other people will use powers of the executive in ways you *really* won't like. 
But it's ok. There will never be a Dem President again, right?

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1082702692361871363.html

Kamala Warren. LOL.

He should have said Kamala Ocasio-Warren.

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

7 hours ago, retrofade said:

EzctpgS.png

It is always so easy to prove you an idiot and destroy your idiotic pull it out of your ass bullshit.

From Trump's 2016 inauguration speech

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/09/02/us/politics/transcript-trump-immigration-speech.html

Right now, however, we’re in the middle of a jobs crisis, a border crisis and a terrorism crisis like never before. All energies of the federal government and the legislative process must now be focused on immigration security. That is the only conversation we should be having at this time, immigration security. Cut it off.

24 seconds into video in November

https://www.c-span.org/video/?453960-1/president-trump-delivers-remarks-immigration-policy

Just now, bluerules009 said:

It is always so easy to prove you an idiot and destroy your idiotic pull it out of your ass bullshit.

From Trump's 2016 inauguration speech

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/09/02/us/politics/transcript-trump-immigration-speech.html

Right now, however, we’re in the middle of a jobs crisis, a border crisis and a terrorism crisis like never before. All energies of the federal government and the legislative process must now be focused on immigration security. That is the only conversation we should be having at this time, immigration security. Cut it off.

24 seconds into video in November

https://www.c-span.org/video/?453960-1/president-trump-delivers-remarks-immigration-policy

That's nice. He didn't freak out about it until the Democrats took the House. If it was truly a "crisis", then something would have been done before then. 

Sorry, you lose again.

2 minutes ago, retrofade said:

That's nice. He didn't freak out about it until the Democrats took the House. If it was truly a "crisis", then something would have been done before then. 

Sorry, you lose again.

It must suck to always lose to a dumbass like me in these discussions and have to resort to lying all the time. HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA!

1 minute ago, bluerules009 said:

It must suck to always lose to a dumbass like me in these discussions and have to resort to lying all the time. HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA!

You must live a pretty sad existence if you feel it necessary to continually declare "victory" over people on the internet as though it's some great accomplishment. Whenever you're presented with facts, you resort to personal attacks... it's been your MO for years. 

1 hour ago, retrofade said:

You must live a pretty sad existence if you feel it necessary to continually declare "victory" over people on the internet as though it's some great accomplishment. Whenever you're presented with facts, you resort to personal attacks... it's been your MO for years. 

In a battle of wits you are unarmed.  HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA!

Trump will cave sometime before the January 30 state of the union address. By Sunday, January 27 at the latest I would think.

Doesn't matter when or how, of course, because either way it will be a yuge victory for him as he will tell us all multiple times and as his base will believe.

Boom goes the dynamite.

20 hours ago, SleepingGiantsFan said:

Trump will cave sometime before the January 30 state of the union address. By Sunday, January 27 at the latest I would think.

Doesn't matter when or how, of course, because either way it will be a yuge victory for him as he will tell us all multiple times and as his base will believe.

Nope!