Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

retrofade

Will Trump Declare a National Emergency to build the WALL tonight?

1 hour ago, NVGiant said:

Shit. I have been so afraid of the rapists, I forgot about the terrorists!

Also, the drugs. Our country's drug habit is almost exclusively the fault of the immigrants, dammit.*

*This message approved by the Pharmaceutical Companies of America.

I think the order of fear is murderers, rapists, and just recently terrorists.  I could be wrong though.  I need to find a red hat wearing fellow American to clarify.

10 hours ago, IanforHeisman said:

Wow.. It’s almost like we should help people trying to escape violence.

Well fvcking, duh! I guess you missed the basic concept of sealing the border. You do realize that that stat falls to 0% if no women make the journey to cross the border illegally, right. Doesn’t sound like it. 

If the people from far and wide know there’s no chance of getting in illegally, they won’t make the long journey where they’re assaulted and raped. They can apply to get in the US legally where they live. Who knows, if the border actually gets sealed with a portfolio of tools to do so, including the wall, maybe we can actually let more in. But this way we can manage who comes in and make it a healthy process rather than dangerous and dysfunctional as it is now.

kat.jpg

If I were Trump, I would’ve made the short speech and then played the audio of Bill Clinton when prez pushing hard to seal the border and being pretty harsh on “illegal aliens” taking jobs away from hard working Americans. Then Hillary in 2003. I heard a clip of her yesterday that was really really harsh on “illegal aliens”. This clip getting out could sink her for good. Then Obama as Senator, same thing. Then Pelosi and Schumer.

After all that, I would’ve said:

”Now what has changed since then? Two things. One, they discovered that they can manufacturer Dem Party votes by letting so many in, Two, they just don’t want me to have any success on any issue. They’re putting politics ahead of country, and above the horrible things that happen to immigrants when they travel knowing they can get in illegally. That is completely unacceptable, and I’m asking that the Dem Party re-think their strategy and put our country and immigrants safety, first.”

kat.jpg

22 hours ago, Nevada Convert said:

Well fvcking, duh! I guess you missed the basic concept of sealing the border. You do realize that that stat falls to 0% if no women make the journey to cross the border illegally, right. Doesn’t sound like it. 

If the people from far and wide know there’s no chance of getting in illegally, they won’t make the long journey where they’re assaulted and raped. They can apply to get in the US legally where they live. Who knows, if the border actually gets sealed with a portfolio of tools to do so, including the wall, maybe we can actually let more in. But this way we can manage who comes in and make it a healthy process rather than dangerous and dysfunctional as it is now.

I don't much care about the wall other than I think it is a waste of time and resources. But a couple of points here: 

1) From everything I have read the vast majority of these particular migrants are attempting to use legal points of entry to enter the U.S. and claim asylum. The current migration influx is less about illegal immigration and more about policy aimed at trying to keep these people from entering the country at all and legally claiming asylum. Whether or not one would consider the asylum claims valid is worthy of discussion. I happen to think so, but I understand that it is debatable and can see the counterpoint.

2) No wall is going to seal the border completely. Illegal immigration will only likely slow down temporarily until new entry points are found. The coyote business would probably boom, though. 

3) And finally, does it make you wonder just how horrible the conditions are down there that these women are willing to take these risks?

If keeping all these people out is the goal, then reforming the asylum laws to make it impossible for these people to claim asylum at all would be much more effective in slowing these flows. But as we all know by now, that is politically impossible. And the humanitarian situation has already been made worse by squeezing the number of entrants we're allowing and making these people wait in Mexico while they wait to go through a port of entry.  Few on either side are denying that fact. 

In lieu of changing asylum law, would the nearly $6 billion wanted for the wall be better spent in building better holding facilities and increasing capacity to process these migrants quickly through immigration court? If we were concerned with the humanitarian crisis on the border, we would all be better served in allowing more to come in, processing them quickly and safely, and then sending them home.

2 hours ago, Joe from WY said:

I was in McDonald's on Bliss Street in Beirut, and there was some Syrian kid working there I used to see all the time because I ate there a lot. Anyway, one day he was bitching about how he couldn't get a visa to the US. I said to him, "Why don't you just go to Mexico and sneak across the border?"

And he looks at me with this look of horror and goes "I am not some kind of field worker! I only work here because I can't find anything else! I'm an engineer!" and he went off to clean another table. We never really talked again. 

You're a gem, dude. 

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

On 1/8/2019 at 9:44 AM, retrofade said:

When did I say any of that? I agreed that there is an issue with illegal immigration that needs to be dealt with... but the wall that Trump is *still* demanding, and yes he wants his full wall according to what he said late last week, is nothing more than a monument to his ego. It is in no way an efficient use of funds, and like I said, serves only as a monument to his ego... because he promised that a wall would be built. Hell, he promised that a wall would be built and that Mexico would pay for is 200+ times on the campaign trail. 

If he'd drop the ridiculous "big beautiful wall" shit, and simply say that we need to shore up fencing where it's needed, and potentially expand it in other areas, he'd have an easy win. 

OK, so in your view this partial wall here is inefficient?  It should be torn down then and we can just hire hundreds more border patrol agents instead?  

Walls don't keep everyone out, but they keep most people from getting in easily.  

Where the border fence meets the sea, a strange beach scene contrasting the U.S. and Mexico

2 minutes ago, pokerider said:

OK, so in your view this partial wall here is inefficient?  It should be torn down then and we can just hire hundreds more border patrol agents instead?  

Walls don't keep everyone out, but they keep most people from getting in easily.  

Where the border fence meets the sea, a strange beach scene contrasting the U.S. and Mexico

I will chime in on this one...  doesn’t seem like it would be too hard to swim out 100 feet and around the wall.

But generally speaking, the argument that a wall doesn’t work or isn’t a deterrent is about as stupid as it gets.

v0icAvfW.jpg

1 minute ago, NorCalCoug said:

I will chime in on this one...  doesn’t seem like it would be too hard to swim out 100 feet and around the wall.

But generally speaking, the argument that a wall doesn’t work or isn’t a deterrent is about as stupid as it gets.

The thing is here, the border agents are all around there waiting for them.  They can see people who scale the wall or would swim out etc. and get them right away.  

Now, take away any barrier at all and they would be able to come in over a much greater area unencumbered.  A good wall in several places basically would funnel them to certain areas, that can be patrolled and make them come in legally.  

On 1/9/2019 at 9:37 AM, Joe from WY said:

I was in McDonald's on Bliss Street in Beirut, and there was some Syrian kid working there I used to see all the time because I ate there a lot. Anyway, one day he was bitching about how he couldn't get a visa to the US. I said to him, "Why don't you just go to Mexico and sneak across the border?"

And he looks at me with this look of horror and goes "I am not some kind of field worker! I only work here because I can't find anything else! I'm an engineer!" and he went off to clean another table. We never really talked again. 

Ugh these fast food workers are getting out of control with their work titles . First subway workers were called “sandwich artist” now if you work for McDonalds your called a “burger engineer”

15 minutes ago, NorCalCoug said:

We know that the large majority of illegal immigrants are visa overstayers. Walls sure as shit don't work to keep your wife's deadbeat cousin from crashing on your couch for the 37th consecutive "one more night" when you're too lazy to tell them to find somewhere else

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

16 minutes ago, happycamper said:

We know that the large majority of illegal immigrants are visa overstayers. Walls sure as shit don't work to keep your wife's deadbeat cousin from crashing on your couch for the 37th consecutive "one more night" when you're too lazy to tell them to find somewhere else

Nope, but it’ll work for the other segment that doesn’t overstay visas and sneaks across the border.

v0icAvfW.jpg

20 minutes ago, Artist formerly known as Hal said:

Ugh these fast food workers are getting out of control with their work titles . First subway workers were called “sandwich artist” now if you work for McDonalds your called a “burger engineer”

No. That guy claimed to be a legit engineer, which I totally believe, because you see lots of that there; essentially, Illegal Syrians are the Illegal Mexicans of Lebanon (only on a much grander scale post 2011) and because of that, instead of designing shit or whatever it is engineers do, he was cleaning tables at McDonald's. I knew some guy in Utah who was a doctor in Mexico and as he was here illegally, he was working as a hotel manager. Same sort of deal I guess.

8 minutes ago, NorCalCoug said:

Nope, but it’ll work for the other segment that doesn’t overstay visas and sneaks across the border.

Will it? It seems like hopping the border has already decreased so much due to societal changes that a wall has little to do with it

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

On 1/9/2019 at 9:37 AM, Joe from WY said:

At the risk of being accused of political incorrectness, I have to say this.

During my career, I've seen several similar instances in these United States. Guy obtains "engineering" or similar "professional" degree in his third world home country, then legally immigrates to our country and becomes irate when nobody will hire him to work as an engineer here. Of course, he ignores the fact the "professional degree" he earned in his native land is akin to a high school diploma in the U.S.

Boom goes the dynamite.

4 minutes ago, SleepingGiantsFan said:

During my career, I've seen several similar instances in these United States. Guy obtains "engineering" or similar "professional" degree in his third world home country, obtains legal immigration to our country and then becomes irate when nobody will hire him to work as an engineer here. Of course, he ignores the fact the "professional degree" he earned in his native land is akin to a high school diploma in the U.S.

Racist! :P 

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

24 minutes ago, SleepingGiantsFan said:

During my career, I've seen several similar instances in these United States. Guy obtains "engineering" or similar "professional" degree in his third world home country, then legally immigrates to our country and becomes irate when nobody will hire him to work as an engineer here. Of course, he ignores the fact the "professional degree" he earned in his native land is akin to a high school diploma in the U.S.

Certainly not the case with Iranian engineers. The ranks of transportation engineers in both the public and private sector, in California at least, are full of civil engineers from Tehran University. The PE exam in CA is the toughest in the country. They have to pass it and are evidently prepared to do so. 

Thay Haif Said: Quhat Say Thay? Lat Thame Say