Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

UNLV2001

Colorado State at UNLV

12 hours ago, qwelish said:

Man, where do I even start with this press conference. ugh. Kris Clyburn just dripping with arrogance after this team barely eeked out a win vs a terrible csu team at home, eww. Just yuck. 17 points on 18 shots, trash. Im sorry, but he is one of my least favorite UNLV players of all time. He's not the worst, just one of my least favorite. I said after the first two games that if he is the teams leading scorer, this would be a very long season, aaaaaand here we are. He also made a startling admission in this presser, "we like to play with the lead so we can, you know, relax." yuck, yuck, yuck!!!! I do like his defense occasionally and that chase down foul/block was great hustle. So theres that.

Marvin was just ewww here as well. He's all fun and jokes after what could actually be considered a terrible win. He should be alarmed, but he just doesnt seem to get it. Dolting on Clyburn, doubling down on just about everything he already wants to do. Its not that hes a bad coach, he just lacks vision. I stated before that MM would double down on Seniors no matter how poorly they play; Clyburn 38 minutes / Noah 30 minutes. I focus less on Noah's scoring/shooting and more on his ball security, passing and leadership. He was at his worst in all of those aspects in this game, and although he shot it well, thats really all he did well. Defense and ball control were benchable, in my opinion. In Marvs defense, he did admit that statistics, not injuries, led him to move Noah off the ball some, duh,  and to start Amari. He's playing JTT too much as well. He is a foul machine that reaches in constantly, and jumps at every ball and head fake. He also takes terrible shots that basically amount to turnovers.

I did think Amauri had his best performance as a Runnin' Rebel. He played an excellent game, under control and kept his head engaged and in the game. He will be the motor that makes this team go next year and will probably keep Ethan Anderson on the bench quite a bit. Unless Ethan does not end up here for some reason or another...

Press conference

https://www.pscp.tv/w/1jMJgOrvBYAJL

Dam you and I see things quite differently!!

Clyburn is the heart and soul of this team and plays with confidence and a ton of heart. He has earned his minites, to say the least. He didn't shoot well (nobody did, really), but made some huge plays on both sides of the ball. I've said before he's easily my favorite Rebel this year, and that still stands. Who cares if he sounds arrogant in press conferences, most players would.

I thought Robotham played easily one of his best games of the year even if I completely discount that he actually shot over 30 percent from the field for once. He had 2 very sloppy turnovers in the 2nd half, other than that took very good care of the ball, much better than usual. Wasn't his fault his team mates took so many sloppy, rushed shots and played outside the offense. His D was the same; not good and he got burned several times but nothing out of the ordinary.

I do agree with you about Hardy, he looked solid and hope he maintains that, it's clear we need his unique skills when they are working productively. 

Also agree with you about Mediocre Marv, you said enough on that subject.

I'll reiterate what I said in previous posts, it's startling how far Diong has fallen as he looked like one of our best players early in the year. He got a few very impressive stops on D but his confidence looks totally shot on the other end.

Untitled Jam 1 (1).png

35 minutes ago, VincentVegaBond said:

Dam you and I see things quite differently!!

Clyburn is the heart and soul of this team and plays with confidence and a ton of heart. He has earned his minites, to say the least. He didn't shoot well (nobody did, really), but made some huge plays on both sides of the ball. I've said before he's easily my favorite Rebel this year, and that still stands. Who cares if he sounds arrogant in press conferences, most players would.

I thought Robotham played easily one of his best games of the year even if I completely discount that he actually shot over 30 percent from the field for once. He had 2 very sloppy turnovers in the 2nd half, other than that took very good care of the ball, much better than usual. Wasn't his fault his team mates took so many sloppy, rushed shots and played outside the offense. His D was the same; not good and he got burned several times but nothing out of the ordinary.

I do agree with you about Hardy, he looked solid and hope he maintains that, it's clear we need his unique skills when they are working productively. 

Also agree with you about Mediocre Marv, you said enough on that subject.

I'll reiterate what I said in previous posts, it's startling how far Diong has fallen as he looked like one of our best players early in the year. He got a few very impressive stops on D but his confidence looks totally shot on the other end.

College basketball is a guard game. The big guy needs the guard to get him the ball. Hardy and Robo are both 2 guards, they are not PG. Diong is a big. Need the ball pass to him in the lane. Both Robo and Hardy are not passing PG. Not hard to comprehend. 

2 hours ago, bookworm said:

Ernie Bayer, go and sign in at Rebel-net confidential board. We need your wisdom on histories. If you have a problem just create a new post on Tark's board saying, " I have a problem"

What would you like to know?  Sorry, but I’m not paying for that again.

1 hour ago, VincentVegaBond said:

I don’t understand the Clyburn criticism either.  I don’t recall anyone trying to pass him off as some kind of a superstar.  Young man plays hard, solid defender.  Offensively obviously some limitations, then again you can say that about practically everyone on the team.

As Clark Kellog would say Clyburn is a stat sheet stuffer.  In comparison to his teammates, leads the team in scoring shooting a pretty good percentage in comparison to his teammates, with Juiston gone he is third in rebounds, second in steals, takes care of the ball pretty well, doesn’t foul as much.

Areas I think he can improve some is given his strong FT%  (second on the team for those he see good minutes) would like to see him cut back on the three point attempts and drive more.  Also, given how much the ball is in his hands would like to see his apg improve some.

8 hours ago, quickdraw said:

We had 20 points from free throws to their 10 which made all of the difference in the game. We shot 24 to their 18 but hit at 83.3% to their 55.6%. The past few games our FT shooting has overcome poor shooting in general to a point. Last night it pulled our fat out of the fire.

Now that we are approaching the halfway mark of the season some obvious trends, they were in play again last night.

With the exception of the foul line Rebels once again shot poorly from the field, from three.  Defense was so-so.  Was nice to see more assists than turnovers.

Two things have emerged that are positives among a number of average to bad numbers.  As you mentioned UNLV got a good number of attempts at the foul line (thankfully they shot a higher % than normal).  Rebels are in the top 50 nationally in FT attempts per game.

The other thing is won the battle on the glass 53-40, particularly the offensive boards 24-11.  Of course that played big dividends at the end.  Nationally UNLV is 12th in rebounding, number 1 nationally in offensive rebounding % a game right now.

So while they are a poor shooting team which naturally creates more rebounding attempts, at least they are getting a good number of second and sometimes third opportunities which can make up for bad shooting.

Hopefully we see less three attempts and more drives to the rim getting layups/dunks or FT attempts.  Of course in addition to attempts, increasing hopefully their % does as well as it was last night.  Have to expect though to see more zone to cut down on drives/FT attempts and make this a jump shooting team.

8 hours ago, qwelish said:

100%.

Miles better defensively, Yes. But I think if either of those guys consistently got 18 shots, they could also produce 17 points. In my opinion.

That sounds like a Dave Rice strategy that could backfire tremendously and cause players to lose a lot of respect for Marv.

Playing players just based on their potential over those who have put in the work and clearly earned it is textbook Dave Rice. What kind of message would it send to the team? Marv has given up on this season, we might as well too.

I agree i'd like to see some young guys get increased minutes (for Robotham, sure!!), but not at the expense of Clyburn.

Untitled Jam 1 (1).png

8 minutes ago, VincentVegaBond said:

That sounds like a Dave Rice strategy that could backfire tremendously and cause players to lose a lot of respect for Marv.

Playing players just based on their potential over those who have put in the work and clearly earned it is textbook Dave Rice. What kind of message would it send to the team? Marv has given up on this season, we might as well too.

I agree i'd like to see some young guys get increased minutes (for Robotham, sure!!), but not at the expense of Clyburn.

I disagree when the players who are getting the minutes are losing and have shown themselves to be mediocre and are losing tons of games. 

Its a simple cost benefit analysis. The seniors are bad. They are playing major minutes, they are highly inefficient and the team is losing lots of games with them on the floor. 

If the team is going to be inefficient and lose games, then there should be some future gains involved. The younger guys have higher potential and if when they get better as the season goes along, they will 

also be here next year for the program to reap those benefits. The seniors will be gone. There is no benefit in playing them when the team is losing anyhow.

Im actually shocked more people dont see this, but theres obviously a bit of like/dislike bias going on here as lots of folks here just dont like me, so they will not like any points I make no matter how sound and obvious they may be.

You obviously do not like Dave Rice and love Lon Kruger. So everything you dont like is referred to as a Dave Rice move. But Dave did the same thing with Jelan Kendrick and Cody Doolin. He played them over guys he should have

been building up for experience the next season. Especially after they proved themselves to be inadequate. Lon actually played a lot of young guys from the start.

30 minutes ago, qwelish said:

I disagree when the players who are getting the minutes are losing and have shown themselves to be mediocre and are losing tons of games. 

Its a simple cost benefit analysis. The seniors are bad. They are playing major minutes, they are highly inefficient and the team is losing lots of games with them on the floor. 

If the team is going to be inefficient and lose games, then there should be some future gains involved. The younger guys have higher potential and if when they get better as the season goes along, they will 

also be here next year for the program to reap those benefits. The seniors will be gone. There is no benefit in playing them when the team is losing anyhow.

Im actually shocked more people dont see this, but theres obviously a bit of like/dislike bias going on here as lots of folks here just dont like me, so they will not like any points I make no matter how sound and obvious they may be.

You obviously do not like Dave Rice and love Lon Kruger. So everything you dont like is referred to as a Dave Rice move. But Dave did the same thing with Jelan Kendrick and Cody Doolin. He played them over guys he should have

been building up for experience the next season. Especially after they proved themselves to be inadequate. Lon actually played a lot of young guys from the start.

From what I recall (my memory is quote bad and I wish I could remember such details as people like Ernie Baer, etc), Doolin was a senior transfer and was brought in solely because we had nobody else on the roster remotely capable of running point. He stunk and didn't live up to expectations the Rice lovers put on him, but its not like we had any capable replacements.

Kendrick was another transfer who fell woefully short of expectations but from what I recall he only played like 20 mpg.

Kruger did not like to play young guys from the start, quite the contrary.

Clyburn is in his 3rd year here and has earned his PT through dedication and hard work.

I don't dislike you at all man, we are both passionate Rebel fans. I do disagree with a lot of your takes though you have changed your views of Marv and Robotham drastically over the past week or two, now closer to my opinions.

Yes this team is going to be inefficient and lose games, no matter who is playing. That has to do with roster construction as it is, and coaching and of course the players themselves. 

I like Clyburn, I admit it.  He belongs in hos role IMO.

Untitled Jam 1 (1).png

2 hours ago, VincentVegaBond said:

Clyburn is the heart and soul of this team and plays with confidence and a ton of heart.

Haha the heart and soul of a .500 team that gets worked by indi state, and blown out by bucknell. Also gets beat down at home by valpo and lmu. Yeah, heart and soul. I do not get it at all. 

On what planet is it good to take 18 shots to score 17 points as a sg? 12 shots to score 11 points. Its atrocious.

Marv is selling this as a long term rebuild, but he's playing to win right now and barely playing the young guys. It makes no sense at all. Build for the future already.

Im not sure if MM is trying to coach to save his job, or if he knows he's toast so he just wants to stack as many meaningless wins as possible.

Im not disputing that Clyburn is a good defender, rebounds and plays hard. Im questioning the impact his statistical contributions will make on the UNLV program. He's more valuable on the bench talking to the young guys about whats happening on the floor.

11 minutes ago, VincentVegaBond said:

From what I recall (my memory is quote bad and I wish I could remember such details as people like Ernie Baer, etc), Doolin was a senior transfer and was brought in solely because we had nobody else on the roster remotely capable of running point. He stunk and didn't live up to expectations the Rice lovers put on him, but its not like we had any capable replacements.

Kendrick was another transfer who fell woefully short of expectations but from what I recall he only played like 20 mpg.

Kruger did not like to play young guys from the start, quite the contrary.

Clyburn is in his 3rd year here and has earned his PT through dedication and hard work.

I don't dislike you at all man, we are both passionate Rebel fans. I do disagree with a lot of your takes though you have changed your views of Marv and Robotham drastically over the past week or two, now closer to my opinions.

Yes this team is going to be inefficient and lose games, no matter who is playing. That has to do with roster construction as it is, and coaching and of course the players themselves. 

I like Clyburn, I admit it.  He belongs in hos role IMO.

ummmm McCaw played point all the next season, so there was that. I think he should have played Rashad at point to force doubles on the ball, to open up shots for McCaw and Cornish. Muss plays off guards at PG. But what does he know, he just wins and stuff.

Funny you say your memory is bad, but you know exactly what Kruger did.... Sort of.

He played Terry, Umeh, Wink, Darger, Rougou, Bellfield and Willis all as young guys. Freshmen and Sophmores. Hawk and Marshall got run as young guys too. But Lon was at least winning enough to get to the tournament on his 3rd year.

I dont disagree to be disagreeable or because I dislike people. I end up stating points debating 3,4,5 people who all have the same views, while im pretty much alone in my views. But hey, im okay with that.

We are in conference play now and you play to win...every game with whoever can get you to that outcome. Preseason is the time to experiment, make changes and build rotations. How do you teach work ethic if it isn't based on....well a work ethic. Making arbitrary decisions on PT solely based on who will be here next year is about as ineffective as making those same decisions solely based on who is a senior. 

Your team needs to know and understand what it takes to get PT and those requirements need to be equal for all and not changed for a select few. That was one of the big errors of Dave and to a certain extent Marv as well. Clyburn has and continues to earn his PT through many real world accomplishments. Robotham started out terribly but he has also made corrections and gotten better to the point of also earning his PT recently. Marv did make a good correction by reversing the roles between Hardy and Robotham. 

JTT and Doing need coaching on their footwork on offense and learn to make their move... and then still take a shot. Too many times they are focused on making their move but then just throw up the ball to the rim which is significantly different from taking a shot. On the defensive end they definitely need one one one time with a coach to learn defensive positioning depending on where the ball is and who has it. Diong was looking fairly good at this when the season started but now he looks very distracted on defense. One on one time is needed. If the bigs could nail down the paint a bit more it would make scoring for the opposition much much more difficult. 

This team has enough talent where they could surprise in conference but not if we can't stop a layup. We have about another 2 weeks to get the work done before this season gets serious.

2 hours ago, Ernie Baer said:

Funny how they want you back over there now.  They didn't care for your opinion when CDR was still coaching.  

2 hours ago, Ernie Baer said:

Hopefully we see less three attempts and more drives to the rim getting layups/dunks or FT attempts

This.  Free throws kept them in the game close enough to steal the win.  Gotta keep driving and getting those fouls.  

5 hours ago, Ernie Baer said:

Me neither. If you love Dave Rice, you'll fit right in and you can post "we should've just kept Dave Rice" after every loss.  If you love the Rebels, stay away. 

3 hours ago, Amaru523 said:

Me neither. If you love Dave Rice, you'll fit right in and you can post "we should've just kept Dave Rice" after every loss.  If you love the Rebels, stay away. 

Funny part is, its group think over there and group think over here.

7 hours ago, Amaru523 said:

Shouldn’t surprise anyone given the state of the program now versus then. That being said, I don’t know who would pay for “inside information” on that site. Such a ripoff. 

13 hours ago, qwelish said:

ummmm McCaw played point all the next season, so there was that. I think he should have played Rashad at point to force doubles on the ball, to open up shots for McCaw and Cornish. Muss plays off guards at PG. But what does he know, he just wins and stuff.

You need to research Cody Doolin and Cody Martin’s a/to in comparison to Kendrick, McCaw and Vaughn’s.  You’ll then have the correct answer as to why Rice went with Doolin and Martin works for Reno.

3 hours ago, Rosegreen said:

Shouldn’t surprise anyone given the state of the program now versus then. That being said, I don’t know who would pay for “inside information” on that site. Such a ripoff. 

The inside info on that site is the same as what's on this one.  You're correct that it's a total ripoff.

1 hour ago, Ernie Baer said:

You need to research Cody Doolin and Cody Martin’s a/to in comparison to Kendrick, McCaw and Vaughn’s.  You’ll then have the correct answer as to why Rice went with Doolin and Martin works for Reno.

If I did, I think I would find that all of the players with good a/to ratios were not as good in that department at first, but over time, and with coaching, were able to improve and help their teams.

All of the players you mentioned played heavy minutes early in their careers and improved over time. This is where coaching comes in. Now look at Clyburn and Noah's a/to over their careers. They have not improved at all and have even regressed while being here.

Your argument seems to only strengthen my position that the young guys should be playing heavy minutes right now. The seniors have reached their limit of potential and this is substantiated and borne out by the statistics.

That said, ive put it out there. No one agrees. Its well documented at this point. Im content with just watching the games and talking about each individual game at this point.

Thank you for your opinion.

3 hours ago, qwelish said:

If I did, I think I would find that all of the players with good a/to ratios were not as good in that department at first, but over time, and with coaching, were able to improve and help their teams.

All of the players you mentioned played heavy minutes early in their careers and improved over time. This is where coaching comes in. Now look at Clyburn and Noah's a/to over their careers. They have not improved at all and have even regressed while being here.

Your argument seems to only strengthen my position that the young guys should be playing heavy minutes right now. The seniors have reached their limit of potential and this is substantiated and borne out by the statistics.

That said, ive put it out there. No one agrees. Its well documented at this point. Im content with just watching the games and talking about each individual game at this point.

Thank you for your opinion.

I also must disagree with your take on the younger/inexperienced guys playing heavy minutes. I don’t want guys getting minutes just because they have some potential. They need to earn their minutes through practice and I think if you just start handing out minutes to players based on potential, you’ll just end up inviting some locker room issues and rifts. 

Though I must say, I’d like to see Hamilton play better and get more minutes because he’s going to be a real good one. But until he proves it, he’s not getting heavy minutes.