Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

dancingNMSUaggie

WAC over MWC

6 minutes ago, brillio said:

You don’t have a ranked number next to your name that makes every team come at you with their best game.  I’m sure we will make short work of UNM in Reno on the return game.  You also lost to a D2 team. 

We get everyone's best game in the WAC and have for years.  We are the game they circle when the schedule comes out.  We own the WAC and everyone desperately wants to beat us every year.  GCU players were crying after the buzzer beater and GCU sends busloads of students and fans to the Pan AM when they play us. 

CBU isn't D2, they are D1.  Last I checked, they were in the WAC.  CBU's best player is the front runner for WAC POY, he scored 36 against us, they have a ton of D1 transfers on their team and are a very good club.

We destroyed NuM twice and 5 times in a row.  CBU would take NuM to the woodshed.  Enjoy the numbers next to your name.

5 minutes ago, PojoPops said:

We get everyone's best game in the WAC and have for years.  We are the game they circle when the schedule comes out.  We own the WAC and everyone desperately wants to beat us every year.  GCU players were crying after the buzzer beater and GCU sends busloads of students and fans to the Pan AM when they play us. 

CBU isn't D2, they are D1.  Last I checked, they were in the WAC.  CBU's best player is the front runner for WAC POY, he scored 36 against us, they have a ton of D1 transfers on their team and are a very good club.

We destroyed NuM twice and 5 times in a row.  CBU would take NuM to the woodshed.  Enjoy the numbers next to your name.

CBU is terrible.  They’re D2. You lost to a team full of D2 players. You lost to a drake  team that lost to CU by 30. Enjoy being left in the wac because no one wanted you. 

5 minutes ago, brillio said:

CBU is terrible.  They’re D2. You lost to a team full of D2 players. You lost to a drake  team that lost to CU by 30. Enjoy being left in the wac because no one wanted you. 

Drake has a better RPI than most of the MWC teams.  And I didn't come on here to talk trash.  Just responding to the trash you started.  Enjoy this year after which all of your 37 year old seniors graduate and you go back to your rightful place in the middle of the MWC.

2 minutes ago, PojoPops said:

Drake has a better RPI than most of the MWC teams.  And I didn't come on here to talk trash.  Just responding to the trash you started.  Enjoy this year after which all of your 37 year old seniors graduate and you go back to your rightful place in the middle of the MWC.

Run along now- Just remember who the last team from the wac to win a NCAA tourney game was.  Y’all haven’t won a non-vacated game since the US pulled out of Korea 

2 hours ago, alum93 said:

LOL, the old we are everybody's Super Bowl argument.  Best of luck.  You are trying way too hard to talk trash.  The 35 point win was hilarious because of the irony.  Nevada is good.  Not top 5 P5 good, but you have a decent chance again at a sweet sixteen with the right matchups.  Too bad you won't be tested very much in conference, unless you lay an egg like you did in the Pit or we did at Cal Baptist.  Yeah, yeah, i get it.  The Pit is tough.  We have won 5 games in a row against UNM.  Must be because their our Super Bowl/World Series, or something like that right?  Have fun talking with other Aggie fans.  I actually like the MWC conference and teams from out west, so i'll catch your games occasionally.  

Shows you how much UNM basketball has regressed.  Congrats on beating a bad UNM team.  You must be proud.  What is that now for the aggies?  Seven wins in  the last 24 games vs UNM?

2 hours ago, alum93 said:

I am saying we curb stomped a team that beat you by 27.  And UNM proceeded to lose to UNLV and CSU after beating you.  Nevada's good.  So is NMSU.  UNM is average but has talent and probably issues with guys getting on the same page on any given night, hence the ups and downs.  NMSU also lost by 3 to Kansas.  If we put it all together, our ceiling on any given night is higher than most MWC teams.  We are also capable of having a cold shooting night every once in awhile.

nmsu lost to a flat Kansas team that didn't have Azubike who was out with an injury.  nmsu would be a middle of the pack team in the MWC.   Why do you want to move to the MWC where you would never go to an NCAA tourney?  Heck, you probably wouldn't win a championship in any sport.

I don't see a vulnerable nmsu in the tourney this year.  UVU, GCU, or Bakersfield will probably get home wins vs the aggies this year.  Someone else could beat the aggies in the WAC tourney this year.

Maybe an NIT at large bid?

On 12/31/2018 at 9:56 PM, dancingNMSUaggie said:

Nevada win a couple of games last year and now their fans think they are a super power in college basketball! How many games did you win prior to that?

Last time I chk'd they were in the Top-10 in the country.

On 1/3/2019 at 7:37 PM, slappy said:

How to respond.  

I could act like a little sensitive girl who drives a tundra and sports a man bun.  

Or I could just laugh.   You got a long ways to go kid     

WOW...dependable truck smack.  You really showed him!

NMSU is a good basketball program and would be a great add to the MW. The Aggies would in compete for MW championships in year one. No doubt about it. I do however agree that the CBU road loss was flat out embarrassing but I doubt it happens again. Every team could lose to anyone on any given night. I’m guessing that night NMSU had a superiority mind set and took them lightly. Much like UNRs road loss to lowly UNM (who then lost to Colorado St a team NMSU also took to the woodshed this year.) Also, I believe that UNRs ranking is partially because of the conference affiliation. If NMSU where in the MW they would also be a Top 25 team. Especially last year. NMSU beat #5 Miami, Davidson and Illinois. And Btw the Aggies will always play the bad guy role to all of you and that is what makes me such a fan of the Aggies. Keep on hating. Like Kevin gates says “If I’m not intimidating, why you so bashful” 

End rant. 

13 hours ago, stchas said:

nmsu lost to a flat Kansas team that didn't have Azubike who was out with an injury.  nmsu would be a middle of the pack team in the MWC.   Why do you want to move to the MWC where you would never go to an NCAA tourney?  Heck, you probably wouldn't win a championship in any sport.

I don't see a vulnerable nmsu in the tourney this year.  UVU, GCU, or Bakersfield will probably get home wins vs the aggies this year.  Someone else could beat the aggies in the WAC tourney this year.

Maybe an NIT at large bid?

Kansas is currently ranked 7th and is 15-2.  As far as never going to the NCAA tourney,  most MWC teams don't.  We have still won 5 in a row versus UNM, beat CSU by 20, beat UNM in our last game by 35.  That game was just one of those nights in the long rivalry.  It happens.  We'll drop more games in WAC play, anywhere from 1 to 3 would be my guess.  It's on par with the MWC this year.  And we'll see if the shots drop in Vegas.  Either way,  our RPI fits in nicely with top half of MWC.  Last year it would have been second to Nevada if i remember correctly.  As long as both Jans and Weir are the coaches for both NM D1 programs, we'll have the upper hand.  These things go in cycles as you are well aware.  Onward and upward.  

If we are knocked off in Vegas, i would expect an NIT invite.  GCU looked solid in the Pan Am last week, even though it never should have come down to the last second half court shot.  2 ugly turnovers in last 30 seconds, one of them unforced, lead to 2 layups for GCU and turned a 3 point lead when we had the ball to a 1 point deficit.  And our 80% FT shooter missed 2 with 6 seconds.  But Johnny McCants, the local kid, saved the day.

13 hours ago, stchas said:

Shows you how much UNM basketball has regressed.  Congrats on beating a bad UNM team.  You must be proud.  What is that now for the aggies?  Seven wins in  the last 24 games vs UNM?

The lobo lair was talking all summer how you had three, yes three, one and done NBA players on your roster and the NuM should tie up weird for many years.  And you all were talking sweet sixteen (like you do every year).  What happened?  Now you are a bad team?

1 hour ago, TheDoggFather said:

And the WAC will get just 1 NCAA bid to your conference tournament champion.

MWC may only get 1, but 2 is possible.

Yeap, 2 autobids to cover 20 D1 schools, the majority of them in the west,  plus a small chance of one at large for MWC if Nevada wins tourney if Vegas.  And i doubt USU or Fresno would get an at large should they lose in MWC tourney.  Everyone else is already out for an at large 16 games in.  Such is life as a mid major.  And if Nevada drops a couple more games, including in the MWC tourney, they get a much tougher opponent to open NCAA.  Not sure what is better for MWC - a top 2 or 3 seed with Nevada as sole team, or a lower seed and better opponent with the MWC tourney champion getting an 11 to 14 seed and likely loss.  

Really doesn't matter who is better this year, MWC or WAC.  The MWC is down and will get better maybe not as good as it was when we were getting 4-5 NCAA tourney teams but it will improve, on the other side the WAC will stay how they are they won't get much better or worse they will just stay about the same.  So yes on the worst year ever for the MWC a WAC fan can argue over which conference is better in basketball for a year.

14 hours ago, 702 said:

Really doesn't matter who is better this year, MWC or WAC.  The MWC is down and will get better maybe not as good as it was when we were getting 4-5 NCAA tourney teams but it will improve, on the other side the WAC will stay how they are they won't get much better or worse they will just stay about the same.  So yes on the worst year ever for the MWC a WAC fan can argue over which conference is better in basketball for a year.

Check the RPI rankings of the WAC over the past, say, 5 years.  Your statements are incorrect.

On 1/14/2019 at 3:08 PM, brillio said:

You don’t have a ranked number next to your name that makes every team come at you with their best game.  I’m sure we will make short work of UNM in Reno on the return game.  You also lost to a D2 team. 

This guy is a dumb ass Aggie hater who is also a GCU fan.  He can't come to grips that Nevada lost by 27 to a team NMSU dominated.  Nice win over Boise State by 1 btw, a team that lost to your other team GCU, of the WAC.  Also, Cal Baptist has a road win over several D1 teams this year and a near miss vs. Tulsa on the road.  But you want to just say they are D2 and ignore the fact that they are full of D1 transfers from P5 schools so be it.  All I know is NMSU bitch slapped 3 MWC schools and other than Nevada, who is good, overrated but good.  The MWC is not good and the WAC who many MWC fans like to look down on has improved dramatically over the last 5 years.  You want to point out UVU lost by 19 early in the season to Utah State.  You forgot to mention how UVU beat Fresno State at their place this season as well.  My point is the WAC is better, the MWC is down.  We know you think Nevada is Final 4 material but I bet they won't even win the MWC tourney like last year when they lost by 30 to SDSU.  I was there and loved every minute of it.   

On 1/14/2019 at 5:53 PM, stchas said:

5 wins in a row bitch.  Keep living in the past.  Maybe you can hire Alford back when Weird washes out and you can go to the NCAA every year and never win a 1st round game even though they are lower seeded teams every time.  Your athletic department is in shambles and the door to the state coffers for money UNM was receiving for decades from the state ripping off tax payers is not shut and half of your administrators are under investigation for corruption charges.  You haven't met your budget for decades and lil ole NMSU swept in you baseball, basketball and even football is even for the last decade.  I am proud of our school where the budget is balanced every year and we have competent regents and competent leaders running our university, especially our athletics dept.  

Also, my point with this thread so sensitive MWC fans (not all of you, just some of the pussies), was to show you the WAC has improved and the MWC is sliding.  However, the MWC has been sliding for many years now.  

17 hours ago, 702 said:

Worst year ever?  How many years now has the MWC been a single bid league?   SDSU's upset in MWC tourney gave you 2 last year.  This is no longer an exception, it is reality.  The P5 has a stranglehold on at large bids, and that isn't changing anytime soon.  Consider, Frenso is sitting at 12-4.  How many more games can they realistically lose and get an at large?  2? 1?  USU is at 12-5 and is already out.  Your logic is the MWC will improve, but WAC teams won't?  Based on what?  UVU and Seattle have improved steadily.  GCU has money and has only had the chance at an NCAA tourney for 1 season.  You don't think they will get better?  And NMSU has been solid for years.  Just ask UNM.  Or CSU.  

As a UNLV fan, when were your best years?  Not in the MWC.  That was in the Big West.  Did conference matter back then or did you just have great teams and a great coach?

Guest #1Stunner
2 hours ago, dancingNMSUaggie said:

This guy is a dumb ass Aggie hater who is also a GCU fan.  He can't come to grips that Nevada lost by 27 to a team NMSU dominated.  Nice win over Boise State by 1 btw, a team that lost to your other team GCU, of the WAC.  Also, Cal Baptist has a road win over several D1 teams this year and a near miss vs. Tulsa on the road.  But you want to just say they are D2 and ignore the fact that they are full of D1 transfers from P5 schools so be it.  All I know is NMSU bitch slapped 3 MWC schools and other than Nevada, who is good, overrated but good.  The MWC is not good and the WAC who many MWC fans like to look down on has improved dramatically over the last 5 years.  You want to point out UVU lost by 19 early in the season to Utah State.  You forgot to mention how UVU beat Fresno State at their place this season as well.  My point is the WAC is better, the MWC is down.  We know you think Nevada is Final 4 material but I bet they won't even win the MWC tourney like last year when they lost by 30 to SDSU.  I was there and loved every minute of it.   

Now that Grand Canyon is no longer a "for profit" school (transitioned to not for profit), I think we'll see them eventually join the WCC.  Grand Canyon's academics are on par with Boise State.

I see the WCC pursuing the following 2 schools in the next 7 years:

(1) Grand Canyon (Phoenix market)

(2) Denver (Denver market)

3 minutes ago, #1Stunner said:

Now that Grand Canyon is no longer a "for profit" school (transitioned to not for profit), I think we'll see them eventually join the WCC.  Grand Canyon's academics are on par with Boise State.

I see the WCC pursuing the following 2 schools in the next 7 years:

(1) Grand Canyon (Phoenix market)

(2) Denver (Denver market)

Why does the WCC need to expand?   They are a group of small religious schools that seem to have a stable conference.  Gonzaga flirted with the MWC to secure a better deal and they got it.  BYU isn't going anywhere, nor is St. Mary's.  So why invite Denver of all schools, much less GCU?  Are you thinking that it will drive more tv money, a la adding the San Jose market?