Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BleedRed702

Alford out

3 minutes ago, Rosegreen said:

Eric Musselman step right up....

Nevada, you had a nice run. 

Seasons not over. Let us enjoy this while it lasts.  We can worry about it in March (hopefully April after a FF appearance).  

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

40 minutes ago, Rosegreen said:

Eric Musselman step right up....

Reno, you had a nice run. 

They may aim a bit higher. Stll doesn't mean he's not going somewhere else.

Rumors are he wants to stay. He and the family really like it here. And he's got a good thing going.

"Don't underestimate Joe Biden's ability to F@*k things up."

Barack Obama

10 minutes ago, cardrater said:

Signed, 

Every opposing fan that hates how well Nevada is succeeding  and forgets Muss turned down Cal a couple years ago.

Cal is a whole different story than UCLA.

UCLA is probably a top 5 job nationally. Muss may not be interested in it,  he is a unique guy.   But to think he wont be because he turned down Cal (or any PAC12 job other than UCLA) is just silly. 

If UCLA, Kentucky, Kansas, North Carolina,  Duke etc.. come calling every coach out there would at least listen.  Those jobs are the pinnacle of the coaching profession in college basketball. 

5 hours ago, cardrater said:

Signed, 

Every opposing fan that hates how well Nevada is succeeding  and forgets Muss turned down Cal a couple years ago.

lol. Don't get me wrong it is great that he turned down Cal (ie it shows he is not gonna leave Nevada for just any job) BUT UCLA>>>>> Cal. 

And yes I hope Muss stays and eventually retries at Nevada. The MW needs to hold on to as many good coaches in football/basketball for as long as we can. We are just not go enough to actively hope other conference members get worse. 

40 minutes ago, RogueStout said:

It’s been a while since I’ve been to  Reno; how are the bike paths?

You beat me to the bike paths snark!  :thumbsup:

bsu_retro_bsu_logo_helmet.b_1.jpg

He's not leaving mid season. So I think we dodged a bullet with UCLA. BUT, Marc Johnson and the regents better get their head out of their tightwad asses and fund athletics like they should be, or we will lose him if we can't give him at least another 100k  next year, preferably 250k

35 minutes ago, NVBlueNeck said:

He's not leaving mid season. So I think we dodged a bullet with UCLA. BUT, Marc Johnson and the regents better get their head out of their tightwad asses and fund athletics like they should be, or we will lose him if we can't give him at least another 100k  next year, preferably 250k

The Wolf Pack are fortunate that Muss doesn't seem all that tight with his assistants - in fact, didn't he have full turnover of all three assistants two years in a row?  Anyway, assistant coaches' salaries was one of the areas where UNLV was completely unprepared to compete with Oklahoma - or at least the Nevada Board of Regents was completely unwilling to match offers with Oklahoma.  Oklahoma more than doubled all of Lon Kruger's assistants' salaries.  In 2011 that was about $650K per year on a multi-year contract for the top three assistants (total, not each), today it would be more.  Imagine having to go to the Nevada BOR and get approval to match four year deals of $300K/year each for three ASSISTANT coaches when one regent (Trashtalk) always goes on a rant that football and basketball HEAD COACHES should not be paid more than golf or swimming head coaches.

17 minutes ago, BleedRebelRed said:

The Wolf Pack are fortunate that Muss doesn't seem all that tight with his assistants - in fact, didn't he have full turnover of all three assistants two years in a row?  Anyway, assistant coaches' salaries was one of the areas where UNLV was completely unprepared to compete with Oklahoma - or at least the Nevada Board of Regents was completely unwilling to match offers with Oklahoma.  Oklahoma more than doubled all of Lon Kruger's assistants' salaries.  In 2011 that was about $650K per year on a multi-year contract for the top three assistants (total, not each), today it would be more.  Imagine having to go to the Nevada BOR and get approval to match four year deals of $300K/year each for three ASSISTANT coaches when one regent (Trashtalk) always goes on a rant that football and basketball HEAD COACHES should not be paid more than golf or swimming head coaches.

The only guy who has stuck with Muss all 4 of his years here is Anthony Ruta.  There’s another guy who’s been here a couple of years also but yes, Muss has turned over most of his assistants.  

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

1 hour ago, NVBlueNeck said:

We should do everything we can to pay him what we can. But if he wants to leave, 100k or 250k isn’t going to be a difference maker. Knuth has done a great job finding money to pay Muss, but we can’t compete with the likes UCLA in terms of salary or prestige. You just hope that Muss decides he wants to keep building his own thing in a community that has gone all-in for him and his program ... or hope that UCLA offers somebody else. 

It is what it is. In the meantime, I will keep enjoying every minute of this season ... and hope for a run so long that any potential suitor will look to other coaches.

1 hour ago, NVBlueNeck said:

No bullet dodged yet.  A permanent hire wont happen until after the season.

And if money is a deciding factor, you might want to think about another mil, not another quarter mil.

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

9 hours ago, Aslowhiteguy said:

They may aim a bit higher. Stll doesn't mean he's not going somewhere else.

Rumors are he wants to stay. He and the family really like it here. And he's got a good thing going.

MW wins do not equal PAC12 wins

UCLA should go after a known winner at the highest level.  Gambling on up and comers is tough.