Jump to content

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

lawofthejunglenv

#6 Nevada vs Akron Game Thread

Recommended Posts

My grandpa's number is retired for Akron Basketball. So I always kind of half-root for them. That said, UNR is going to kick their asses this weekend. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That is cool..Not a lot of players get their number retired..Is your grandfather still with us?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

These teams  played at Lawlor in  February 2006. (was the infamous Montana game year)

I remember seeing a few Akron players 2-3 hours after the game was over raiding the  McDonald's across from the Silver Legacy on N Virginia.

They were in their Akron sweat outfits.

" Feb. 17, 2006

RENO, Nev. (AP) - Nick Fazekas had 24 points and 14 rebounds and Kyle Shiloh added a career-high 22 points as Nevada clinched its third straight 20-win season Friday with a non-conference victory over Akron 88-61.

Mo Charlo scored 14 points and Ramon Sessions had eight points and a career-high 13 assists for the Wolf Pack (20-5, 9-3), who have won seven in a row and are in first place in the Western Athletic Conference.

Romeo Travis had 13 points, the only player in double figures for the Mid-American Conference's Zips (19-6, 12-2), who suffered their biggest margin of defeat of the season, eclipsing a 111-85 loss at Louisville on Dec. 10.

It was Fazekas' 12th double-double of the season, the 35th of the junior's career. Shiloh made 6-of-8 3-pointers and Nevada shot 53 percent from the field - a season-best 12-of-19 from 3-point range - to Akron's 32 percent from the field.

Nevada went on a 17-2 run midway through the first half and scored the first six points of the second half to go ahead 55-31 on a basket inside by Fazekas, who added a 3-point goal a minute later for a 61-37 lead with 17:09 left in the game. Nick Dials scored five straight points on a 7-0 run that pulled Akron to within 64-48 at 10:43. But Marcelus Kemp - who finished with 11 points - answered with a 3-pointer to spark a 10-2 run capped by Shiloh's 3-pointer that put Nevada back on top 74-50 with 7:47 remaining and Akron didn't threaten after that. "

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Lester_in_reno said:

These teams  played at Lawlor in  February 2006. (was the infamous Montana game year)

I remember seeing a few Akron players 2-3 hours after the game was over raiding the  McDonald's across from the Silver Legacy on N Virginia.

They were in their Akron sweat outfits.

" Feb. 17, 2006

RENO, Nev. (AP) - Nick Fazekas had 24 points and 14 rebounds and Kyle Shiloh added a career-high 22 points as Nevada clinched its third straight 20-win season Friday with a non-conference victory over Akron 88-61.

Mo Charlo scored 14 points and Ramon Sessions had eight points and a career-high 13 assists for the Wolf Pack (20-5, 9-3), who have won seven in a row and are in first place in the Western Athletic Conference.

Romeo Travis had 13 points, the only player in double figures for the Mid-American Conference's Zips (19-6, 12-2), who suffered their biggest margin of defeat of the season, eclipsing a 111-85 loss at Louisville on Dec. 10.

It was Fazekas' 12th double-double of the season, the 35th of the junior's career. Shiloh made 6-of-8 3-pointers and Nevada shot 53 percent from the field - a season-best 12-of-19 from 3-point range - to Akron's 32 percent from the field.

Nevada went on a 17-2 run midway through the first half and scored the first six points of the second half to go ahead 55-31 on a basket inside by Fazekas, who added a 3-point goal a minute later for a 61-37 lead with 17:09 left in the game. Nick Dials scored five straight points on a 7-0 run that pulled Akron to within 64-48 at 10:43. But Marcelus Kemp - who finished with 11 points - answered with a 3-pointer to spark a 10-2 run capped by Shiloh's 3-pointer that put Nevada back on top 74-50 with 7:47 remaining and Akron didn't threaten after that. "

I remember Nevada playing at Akron the year after. A few of LeBron's high school buddies played for those Zips teams, including Romeo Travis, and when the game tipped off LBJ was courtside:

Fazekas_in_Akron_CIMG9120.JPG

I remember at the time thinking that was cool.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, nvspuds said:

That is cool..Not a lot of players get their number retired..Is your grandfather still with us?

Unfortunately, no. He passed away 8, almost 9 years ago. 

https://gozips.com/news/2010/3/29/3_29_2010_4009.aspx

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, NVGiant said:

I remember Nevada playing at Akron the year after. A few of LeBron's high school buddies played for those Zips teams, including Romeo Travis, and when the game tipped off LBJ was courtside:

Fazekas_in_Akron_CIMG9120.JPG

I remember at the time thinking that was cool.

We won that one too!:Clapping:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, nvspuds said:

He was a great basketball man..He really made a mark as a player, coach and author. ..Very very cool..

He was a hell of a guy. A more determined person I never met. On top of that, he had stories for days about various basketball figures and his trips coaching abroad. Incredible guy. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Aslowhiteguy said:

We got here early.  Looks like Lawlor will be full & loud.

 

Where are you sitting?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Aslowhiteguy said:

Section 27.  Where are you?

Section 17. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why are they putting a tarp or flag or whatever over here be seats above the student section? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Aslowhiteguy said:

Are you sitting with your daughter?

Yes

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, brillio said:

Why are they putting a tarp or flag or whatever over here be seats above the student section? 

They aren’t. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, mugtang said:

They aren’t. 

Oh good.  I saw them spreading that flag over the top and thought we were gonna pull a sjsu   I guess they were just folding it or something up there 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×