Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

lawofthejunglenv

#6 Nevada vs Akron Game Thread

My grandpa's number is retired for Akron Basketball. So I always kind of half-root for them. That said, UNR is going to kick their asses this weekend. 

That is cool..Not a lot of players get their number retired..Is your grandfather still with us?

These teams  played at Lawlor in  February 2006. (was the infamous Montana game year)

I remember seeing a few Akron players 2-3 hours after the game was over raiding the  McDonald's across from the Silver Legacy on N Virginia.

They were in their Akron sweat outfits.

" Feb. 17, 2006

RENO, Nev. (AP) - Nick Fazekas had 24 points and 14 rebounds and Kyle Shiloh added a career-high 22 points as Nevada clinched its third straight 20-win season Friday with a non-conference victory over Akron 88-61.

Mo Charlo scored 14 points and Ramon Sessions had eight points and a career-high 13 assists for the Wolf Pack (20-5, 9-3), who have won seven in a row and are in first place in the Western Athletic Conference.

Romeo Travis had 13 points, the only player in double figures for the Mid-American Conference's Zips (19-6, 12-2), who suffered their biggest margin of defeat of the season, eclipsing a 111-85 loss at Louisville on Dec. 10.

It was Fazekas' 12th double-double of the season, the 35th of the junior's career. Shiloh made 6-of-8 3-pointers and Nevada shot 53 percent from the field - a season-best 12-of-19 from 3-point range - to Akron's 32 percent from the field.

Nevada went on a 17-2 run midway through the first half and scored the first six points of the second half to go ahead 55-31 on a basket inside by Fazekas, who added a 3-point goal a minute later for a 61-37 lead with 17:09 left in the game. Nick Dials scored five straight points on a 7-0 run that pulled Akron to within 64-48 at 10:43. But Marcelus Kemp - who finished with 11 points - answered with a 3-pointer to spark a 10-2 run capped by Shiloh's 3-pointer that put Nevada back on top 74-50 with 7:47 remaining and Akron didn't threaten after that. "

14 minutes ago, Lester_in_reno said:

These teams  played at Lawlor in  February 2006. (was the infamous Montana game year)

I remember seeing a few Akron players 2-3 hours after the game was over raiding the  McDonald's across from the Silver Legacy on N Virginia.

They were in their Akron sweat outfits.

" Feb. 17, 2006

RENO, Nev. (AP) - Nick Fazekas had 24 points and 14 rebounds and Kyle Shiloh added a career-high 22 points as Nevada clinched its third straight 20-win season Friday with a non-conference victory over Akron 88-61.

Mo Charlo scored 14 points and Ramon Sessions had eight points and a career-high 13 assists for the Wolf Pack (20-5, 9-3), who have won seven in a row and are in first place in the Western Athletic Conference.

Romeo Travis had 13 points, the only player in double figures for the Mid-American Conference's Zips (19-6, 12-2), who suffered their biggest margin of defeat of the season, eclipsing a 111-85 loss at Louisville on Dec. 10.

It was Fazekas' 12th double-double of the season, the 35th of the junior's career. Shiloh made 6-of-8 3-pointers and Nevada shot 53 percent from the field - a season-best 12-of-19 from 3-point range - to Akron's 32 percent from the field.

Nevada went on a 17-2 run midway through the first half and scored the first six points of the second half to go ahead 55-31 on a basket inside by Fazekas, who added a 3-point goal a minute later for a 61-37 lead with 17:09 left in the game. Nick Dials scored five straight points on a 7-0 run that pulled Akron to within 64-48 at 10:43. But Marcelus Kemp - who finished with 11 points - answered with a 3-pointer to spark a 10-2 run capped by Shiloh's 3-pointer that put Nevada back on top 74-50 with 7:47 remaining and Akron didn't threaten after that. "

I remember Nevada playing at Akron the year after. A few of LeBron's high school buddies played for those Zips teams, including Romeo Travis, and when the game tipped off LBJ was courtside:

Fazekas_in_Akron_CIMG9120.JPG

I remember at the time thinking that was cool.

1 hour ago, nvspuds said:

That is cool..Not a lot of players get their number retired..Is your grandfather still with us?

Unfortunately, no. He passed away 8, almost 9 years ago. 

https://gozips.com/news/2010/3/29/3_29_2010_4009.aspx

5 minutes ago, NVGiant said:

I remember Nevada playing at Akron the year after. A few of LeBron's high school buddies played for those Zips teams, including Romeo Travis, and when the game tipped off LBJ was courtside:

Fazekas_in_Akron_CIMG9120.JPG

I remember at the time thinking that was cool.

We won that one too!:Clapping:

22 hours ago, nvspuds said:

He was a great basketball man..He really made a mark as a player, coach and author. ..Very very cool..

He was a hell of a guy. A more determined person I never met. On top of that, he had stories for days about various basketball figures and his trips coaching abroad. Incredible guy. 

2 minutes ago, Aslowhiteguy said:

We got here early.  Looks like Lawlor will be full & loud.

Where are you sitting?

Just now, Aslowhiteguy said:

Section 27.  Where are you?

Section 17. 

Why are they putting a tarp or flag or whatever over here be seats above the student section? 

Just now, Aslowhiteguy said:

Are you sitting with your daughter?

Yes

1 minute ago, brillio said:

Why are they putting a tarp or flag or whatever over here be seats above the student section? 

They aren’t. 

Just now, mugtang said:

They aren’t. 

Oh good.  I saw them spreading that flag over the top and thought we were gonna pull a sjsu   I guess they were just folding it or something up there